Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

With this weekends promising weather forecast, I am hoping to do some SERIOUS bass fishing. I am in Hammonds Plains any pointers of what seems to be working now? Should I be deep, shallow, slow, fast etc.. im really not sure on what post spawn bass are like...

Any tips that anyone can share would be hugely appreciated. I am fishing with both spinning gear and fly gear, and from a canoe.

Many thanks in advance all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All,

With this weekends promising weather forecast, I am hoping to do some SERIOUS bass fishing. I am in Hammonds Plains any pointers of what seems to be working now? Should I be deep, shallow, slow, fast etc.. im really not sure on what post spawn bass are like...

Any tips that anyone can share would be hugely appreciated. I am fishing with both spinning gear and fly gear, and from a canoe.

Many thanks in advance all!
I went out for a couple hours this morning (Grand Lake) and caught two bass on the fly. One on a #6 egg sucking leech and one on a #6 smelt pattern. Both fish were small, around 1 pound, but put up a good fight on a 6 weight. Both were hiding in 4-6 feet of water in the shade near/under docks and a bit away from the weeds. Too close to the weeds and I was being chased by pickerel (who were surprisingly non-committal this morning, only hooked one on the leech pattern).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went out for a couple hours this morning (Grand Lake) and caught two bass on the fly. One on a #6 egg sucking leech and one on a #6 smelt pattern. Both fish were small, around 1 pound, but put up a good fight on a 6 weight. Both were hiding in 4-6 feet of water in the shade near/under docks and a bit away from the weeds. Too close to the weeds and I was being chased by pickerel (who were surprisingly non-committal this morning, only hooked one on the leech pattern).
Hey Carl,

Thanks for the pointers. I was out for about 4 hours yesterday and caught quite a few bass... all rather small but good fighters none-the-less.

The leech pattern worked like a charm! Frustrating how many fish I could see following the fly but not hitting it, I slowed down my retrieval, increased speed, etc etc but couldn't get any larger fish to bite. A silver floating Rapala was pretty successful yesterday too, again only smaller fish seemed to be interested.. how the heck do I target the larger ones?

Anyone have any luck with poppers? They seem to be quite popular in Ontario and the states for bass fishing but aren't too easy to find for sale around here.

Happy fishing!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey Carl,

Thanks for the pointers. I was out for about 4 hours yesterday and caught quite a few bass... all rather small but good fighters none-the-less.

The leech pattern worked like a charm! Frustrating how many fish I could see following the fly but not hitting it, I slowed down my retrieval, increased speed, etc etc but couldn't get any larger fish to bite. A silver floating Rapala was pretty successful yesterday too, again only smaller fish seemed to be interested.. how the heck do I target the larger ones?

Anyone have any luck with poppers? They seem to be quite popular in Ontario and the states for bass fishing but aren't too easy to find for sale around here.

Happy fishing!
I use a Rapala firetiger popper about half the time I fish smallmouth. I love the top water action, makes fishing more exciting & works very well, especially in vegetated areas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i went to Cox's lake and caught 23 bass in half an hour most around 10" plus two over 18" all from shore. it was pretty sweet. pretty much every cast
. definately going back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow thats a great day the early on. The bass must be hungry. Cox lake has some very very big bass in it, I saw a monster get lost about 2 years ago in the spring that was around 6 lbs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yea its a good area for bass. Never tried COX lake though - is there good access to fish along the shore (no boat). What is the best way to enter for a walking angler?

·
Registered
41 Posts
basser "ipop" a lot. (pun intended
). as ManOnABucket said, it's great to see them hitting top water. i take a selection of poppers with me for any bass fishing, smallies or stripers. pop-r's, z-pops, chub creek, all sorts, even rarely a skitter pop (nice idea, not great sizes). most people would say that popping works best in the mornings untill 10am and in the last hour before dark, but they will work almost any time. that said, the hotter the summer days, the better they work. for post spawn smallies, it's hard not to use a baby bass pattern - they slam it! some poppers sink, including most striper poppers, which means they have to be worked immediately on the cast or trolled and popped. i'll even flip the bail back with the popper still in the air when casting these. a feather on the tail can really help with these, but sometimes it's the kiss of death, so take some plain poppers and a few dressed ones. size counts, so a couple of different sizes would be good too, plastic and wood give very different presentations so again, try both. and don't forget frog poppers!

popping is a bit of a waiting game: cast - wait; blow up/strike - wait; pop again - wait...! lol, how long to wait? the old wisdom says untill the rings from splashing down from the cast have disapated, others say just count to 3. or 6. or 9. or...you get the idea. on a strike count to 2 or 3 before trying to set the hook and you will have a much better hook up rate. hard to remember some times - the bass will remind you!

they are much harder to find now than just a few years ago, so i buy a lot of them on line. another good source is the dollar store, but test them out, there are some that are only worth a dollar...lol! they should pop, gurgle, splash and or spit. most of the smaller dollar store ones sink. oh, and any popper that doesn't work well for smallies wil be a great pickeral lure! lol...again! (i'll confess - any smally lure i don't like becomes a pickeral lure. that way if i lose it, i don't mind so much). avoid metal leader if at all possible, when you just have to, take off the swivel and some times the snap too - they weigh down the popper and cramp it's movement, some times so bad it just doesn't work any more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i went to Cox's lake and caught 23 bass in half an hour most around 10" plus two over 18" all from shore. it was pretty sweet. pretty much every cast
. definately going back.
Where on Cox and what tackle were you using? I fished the entire lake for about 4 or 5 hours and didn't catch a damn thing. Ususally (last year) would end up with a ton.

·
Registered
113 Posts
COX LAKE, APRIL 7TH 2011

3 rods fishing every bait,lure,popper,plug,rapala,grub,crank-bait in our tackle box and its alot of tackle at cox lake (both sides) fished 3 hours and not a sign of a fish. Bass or trout or minnow. we are all seasoned anglers and have over 60 years fishing experience combined. Kinda weird seeing how the report for that lake was so good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Its still really early guys, ya have to know a spot on a spot to catch them, cuz they are not gonna chase anything down. There is a big rock on the left side of the lake right by the point near the big drop off where they warm them selfs in the sun. Onthe sqr hooked a bass there that was an honest 6lbs if not more on a early may morning....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Its still really early guys, ya have to know a spot on a spot to catch them, cuz they are not gonna chase anything down. There is a big rock on the left side of the lake right by the point near the big drop off where they warm them selfs in the sun. Onthe sqr hooked a bass there that was an honest 6lbs if not more on a early may morning....
Tried it, didn't get a bite.. not a thing. Usually a pretty good spot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Were you in a Boat? Its still uber early, Sunday might be good. They seem to like green pumpkin and watermelon on that lake.

Cheers

Colin

·
Registered
546 Posts
This time of year is for trout and pickerel.

Very soon couple of weeks, bass and shad and netting smelt and gaspereau. Around that time or a little later, stripers and mackerel. Every year is a little different depending on temperature as well as ocean current but I think you would starve to death if you had to depend on eating small mouth bass right now.

James

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I think you would starve to death if you had to depend on eating small mouth bass right now.
...plus watch for the spawning season restrictions if you're planning to eat them (e.g., in RFA3, no SMB may be retained from April 1 to June 30).

Paul

·
Registered
212 Posts
This time of year is for trout and pickerel.

Very soon couple of weeks, bass and shad and netting smelt and gaspereau. Around that time or a little later, stripers and mackerel. Every year is a little different depending on temperature as well as ocean current but I think you would starve to death if you had to depend on eating small mouth bass right now.

James
Yea I was out at a few of my regular bass lakes this weekend and nothing is biting yet at all. We need some nice sunny warm days to get the water temp up a bit. Id say your right on give it a couple weeks and the bass will be biting........ that is unless you find that magical spot where u can pull out 25 in under an hour lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was fishing on Third lake around 2 pm, the spot I fish is userally a great early season lots of 3lbers. The spot its close to deep water has a river channel with weeds and logs and big boulders and it was flat as glass and I didn't even get a nibble. I knew they bass were not feeding yet since I Saw one of those Giant water bugs make a trip nearly 40 feet along the drop off and nothing came to grab it...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts