Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First time user to this forum, so hope someone can answer some questions. I'm heading out for a fish on lake williams tomorrow. Not sure what's best to hook up to a landlocked salmon. I'm thinking spoons down deep, but would love to hear some suggestions from anyone who knows. Also going to target some smallmouth...caught a few small ones there before, but nothing of any size. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help!! (I also caught a striped bass in lake williams last year...are they resident stripers?)

Roddy Mac

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would say spoons or rapalas down deep would be a good bet for the salmon or stripers. Neither is very plentiful in the lake but I think there is a small resident striper population, they could easily migrate up from grand lake as well. As for the smallies, a black or smoke power grub out around the islands should get you some fish.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
All of the advice here is reliable. Good luck on Lake William, I live on the lake and, although I believe there may very well have been a resident population of stripers here, I believe that the "invasive species" (2 Grey seals) which got into the lake a few years ago pretty well killed off any "residents". Having said that, and fished the lake early, I got 2 Landlockeds this year (legal, and they are still in the lake). So far, I haven't gotten any stripers although one fisherman I know has had reasonable success. I believe that he has gotten 13 stripers so far with 1 keeper, (all of which were released by him). He fishes about 5 days a week and the majority of his, and all of my success (excluding the Landlocks)has been with the Smallmouths & Snotrockets. The lake is fairly warm now, so I suspect you too, will have your best success with the latter. Regards....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice guys. we had an awesome time fishing at lake williams. we caught probably 50 or 60 small bass (biggest one being 14.5 inches). caught a few picks as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts