Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering where to target smallmouth in porter's lake. would they even be close to the salt water? or would they be more towards the other end of the lake? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me in regards to hooking into some nice smallies.
Roddy Mac

·
Admin
551 Posts
Hi Roddy.

You can find smallmouth in Porter's from the 107 bridge all the way to the north end of the lake. In the past it has typically been the northern, more freshwater end of the lake that produces, however I know of fish caught as far down as the 107 bridge. It is a challenging lake by times, usually producing more size than quantity. Look for weedlines in 5-10 feet of water, drops out from brooks or rivers. Tides can also play a factor in the quality of the fishing on Porter's so experiment with the tides as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is a challenging lake by times, usually producing more size than quantity.
Amen to that, Dave! I've spent a fair bit of time on Porters Lake over the past two or three years, and I have yet to find the secret formula/spot for boating a lot of fish in any given day. Usually for me it's long periods of nothing interrupted by the occasional lunker!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Staying out with friends on the Myra road for a week and love to fish from the kayak. What seems to work for catching one of these occassional smallies?

Hi Roddy.

You can find smallmouth in Porter's from the 107 bridge all the way to the north end of the lake. In the past it has typically been the northern, more freshwater end of the lake that produces, however I know of fish caught as far down as the 107 bridge. It is a challenging lake by times, usually producing more size than quantity. Look for weedlines in 5-10 feet of water, drops out from brooks or rivers. Tides can also play a factor in the quality of the fishing on Porter's so experiment with the tides as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How did you make out fishing Porters Lake this year? I have been on there a fair bit this year and it has been hit and miss. I am just getting back into fishing this year and I am still learning the lake. The average fish length I caught this year was 10" with the largest at 17" which I caught in the spring. I plan on fishing until the end of the month, things seem to picking up a bit, I am hoping for at least another productive day before putting things away for the year. I would be interested to know how you made out, how good can it get on Porters Lake?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts