Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many people here are addicted to smallmouth fishing? The spawn is just getting on the way here in Cumberland county as the water temps have been cold. Things are starting to heat up. Good luck to all fellow addicts this season

·
Registered
5 Posts
So how many people here are addicted to smallmouth fishing? The spawn is just getting on the way here in Cumberland county as the water temps have been cold. Things are starting to heat up. Good luck to all fellow addicts this season
What waters are you fishing in Cumberland with smallies in them? Are they now there in numbers or just a few around?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just started getting into Smallmouth fishing last year, I've always been more into trout. This year I caught my first decent sized smallmouth, and boy what a fight! It was pound and a half - 2 lb.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have gone to 4 different lakes in Cumberland Cumberland and hooked on to some nice bass from 3-5 pounds. But not alot in numbers except one and we caught bass all day long and all didnt dip below 3 pounds. Been watching the water temp and if the weather stays the same by next weekend it should be optimum water temp

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
FM, Congratulations! WOW!! A 5 lb smallie is really something to be proud of in NS. To fish all day and catch bags of fish with none being under 3 lbs is like going to Angler's Heaven!! I didn't think fishing like that for Smallmouth still existed in NS. Regards....

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are some really big smallmouth around, just have to find them; then make them eat.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I love catching the small mouth...I caught 11 last sunday on Kinsac lake...what an wasome day..I tried a bunch of different soft baits and finally caught one on a shad dart, I switched to live worms after only catching the one on the dart.Then it was like a field day of catching. I thought it was odd the didnt go for soft worms.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks jurme. I was there a few weeks back and was fishing near the Shubie Park. Had a few good size ones jump at my topwater lures but the plethora of dogs in that area were a constant distraction...

Has anyone ever tried Red Bridge Pond across from the MicMac? BTW, the best steak in HRM can be found at the MicMac Tavern... absolutely delicious.

·
Administrator
913 Posts
If anyone wants me to send them an updated list of all bodys of water containing Smallmouth Bass known to the DFO in Nova Scotia let me know. As for down Halifax way Ten Mile Lake, Ogden, Parr and Pete's Lake are your best bet to land some lunkers.
Ten Mile Lake is in Queens Co. and Ogden Parr Petes is in Yarmouth Co.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Has anyone ever tried Red Bridge Pond across from the MicMac? BTW, the best steak in HRM can be found at the MicMac Tavern... absolutely delicious.
It was the only place i was going early in the season, but fishing from the road won't yield much. If you can get a boat in there you might still have some luck towards the wooded areas, but the lily pads can be tricky to work around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lake mic mac and banook (Halifax county) have been treating me real good this year. Lot's of big bass in there. Is there any where in lunenburg county that's good for smallies?
Hey! I live in Dartmouth and don't have a boat! Can you tell me any decent spots to fish from shore? Last year was my first for living and fishing in NS and I'm from the Kentucky so bass fishing here has been quite an adjustment!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey! I live in Dartmouth and don't have a boat! Can you tell me any decent spots to fish from shore? Last year was my first for living and fishing in NS and I'm from the Kentucky so bass fishing here has been quite an adjustment!
lake banook is my favorite spot, right along the shore that's near mic mac mall, there's also a list on the DFO's website of lakes that are stocked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in lower Sackville and the smallmouth are just comming off the nests in and around here. Post spawn should only last a couple weeks then we can start having some fun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts