Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
While I fish some of the larger rivers like the Middle, Margaree, phillip and Wallace on occasion, I really enjoy the smaller streams. I don't fish for salmon although I have caught them in the past, I prefer trout fishing. As I live in Dartmouth, one small stream I have fished is the Partridge River, but because of the make up of the stream it is more like a series of still waters than a stream. It does carry some large trout in it as well as salmon but it isn't an easy stream to wade and fish.
Are there any streams reasonably close to Dartmouth that allows you to wade and fish similar to the Middle although on a much smaller scale? I find when I fish like this it is almost like hunting for the trout as you read the stream picking the spots where you think a trout might be laying. After I get back from Cape Breton, a buddy and I are going to try Brierly brook just outside Antigonish. I enjoy using a 3 weight or a 4 weight rod on small streams like this because they offer so much action.
Understandably, many fisherman are reluctant to tell where their honey hole is and I don't blame you. However, I am not asking for that just the name of some smaller streams that offer the chance to wade and fish reasonably close to Dartmouth. A few years ago I sold off my boat, motor etc. as I decided that I didn't really like lake fishing that much. It seems that I am a stream fisherman and the size of the trout is not terribly important to me as I release 99-100% of all the fish I catch anyway. Hopefully, some of you may suggest a stream or two that offers up the kind of fishing I enjoy using a 3 or 4 weight flyrod. Thank you for any ideas you may have regarding my request.

Kindest regards,

Tim

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you go towards Porter's Lake on the #7 highway, you will cross a small stream called the Partridge River. It is a nice stream with some large trout although it is difficult to wade. It is still fishable just not easily wadeable. There are numerous lakes around Dartmouth that are easy fishing and hold speckled,rainbow and bass populations. The lakes are Loon, Oathill, Maynard, Morris plus several others.

Tim

I am visiting NS from July 18-25 with a friend. We both fish with 4-5wt rods but need advice on where to go and what to use. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks.

JohnR

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
I was hoping there might be a few streams close to Dartmouth that were good wading and fishing but I guess not. If anyone should think of a stream or two but not wish to post it here then please contact me at [email protected] I like using a 7' #3 or #4 weight for small streams. Anyway, any and all help is gratefully accepted. Thank you.

Tim

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Adam for the invite. However, I fish by myself for the most part as I like the peace and quiet. I am not very good company as I tend to be a loner and not big on conversation. You would most likely enjoy the company of someone more gregarious than I. Good luck in finding some nice streams,

Kindest regards,

Tim

I dont know any close to Dartmouth but that's the same kind of fishing I like if you ever want to go looking for water or drive out a distance to spots I know.

G

·
I am in Nova Scotia for the next three weeks and have all my gear with me. Am principally interested in stream fishing for trout or salt water for sea trout. We are currently camped in Antigonish, heading for Baddeck on Tuesday, the 13th for a week of Cabot Trail, etc. I'm eager to find some good accessible spots for fishing without a lot of hiking as I am recovering from cancer treatment. After Cape Breton, we head to Truro and Digby and then have a week or so unscheduled thus far, just need to be back in New Brunswick August 1. So suggestions for any of these spots or added places would be welcome!

G

·
[quote name='CT flyfisher' date='11 July 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1278888393' post='3096']
I am in Nova Scotia for the next three weeks and have all my gear with me. Am principally interested in stream fishing for trout or salt water for sea trout. We are currently camped in Antigonish, heading for Baddeck on Tuesday, the 13th for a week of Cabot Trail, etc. I'm eager to find some good accessible spots....
PS, if you'd rather email directly than post your suggestions, use [email protected] Thx

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi CT,
When you are nearly at Beddeck look for a big red barn on your left hand side. It is a gift shop and pretty hard to miss. There is a road that goes past it towards Hunter's mountain, take that road for about 3-4km. After you crest the mountain and start down the other side almost at the bottom is a road called the Yankee Line on your left hand side. Follow this road for about 2-3km and you will see a river, it is called the Middle River and is one of the finest trout rivers in Nova Scotia. Have fun.

I am in Nova Scotia for the next three weeks and have all my gear with me. Am principally interested in stream fishing for trout or salt water for sea trout. We are currently camped in Antigonish, heading for Baddeck on Tuesday, the 13th for a week of Cabot Trail, etc. I'm eager to find some good accessible spots....
PS, if you'd rather email directly than post your suggestions, use [email protected] Thx

G

·
Thanks! We'll definitely do that -- sounds like a place one would never find on one's own! I assume a regular Nova Scotia license is all I'd need there, correct?

[/quote]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes

Thanks! We'll definitely do that -- sounds like a place one would never find on one's own! I assume a regular Nova Scotia license is all I'd need there, correct?
[/quote]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello,
I was hoping there might be a few streams close to Dartmouth that were good wading and fishing but I guess not. If anyone should think of a stream or two but not wish to post it here then please contact me at [email protected] I like using a 7' #3 or #4 weight for small streams. Anyway, any and all help is gratefully accepted. Thank you.

Tim
prehaps the cowbay river sytem might be worth a look, i havent explored much yet but theres plenty of quite stream running through the woods. just go into the stream right after the kiwana's club on caldwell road and work your way dowstream....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello,
While I fish some of the larger rivers like the Middle, Margaree, phillip and Wallace on occasion, I really enjoy the smaller streams. I don't fish for salmon although I have caught them in the past, I prefer trout fishing. As I live in Dartmouth, one small stream I have fished is the Partridge River, but because of the make up of the stream it is more like a series of still waters than a stream. It does carry some large trout in it as well as salmon but it isn't an easy stream to wade and fish.
Are there any streams reasonably close to Dartmouth that allows you to wade and fish similar to the Middle although on a much smaller scale? I find when I fish like this it is almost like hunting for the trout as you read the stream picking the spots where you think a trout might be laying. After I get back from Cape Breton, a buddy and I are going to try Brierly brook just outside Antigonish. I enjoy using a 3 weight or a 4 weight rod on small streams like this because they offer so much action.
Understandably, many fisherman are reluctant to tell where their honey hole is and I don't blame you. However, I am not asking for that just the name of some smaller streams that offer the chance to wade and fish reasonably close to Dartmouth. A few years ago I sold off my boat, motor etc. as I decided that I didn't really like lake fishing that much. It seems that I am a stream fisherman and the size of the trout is not terribly important to me as I release 99-100% of all the fish I catch anyway. Hopefully, some of you may suggest a stream or two that offers up the kind of fishing I enjoy using a 3 or 4 weight flyrod. Thank you for any ideas you may have regarding my request.

Kindest regards,

Tim
i fish this stream quite a bit as well have you ever canoed or kayaked from the highway downstream?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which stream are you referring to, tradesman, and what kind of success did you have? Thank you.

i fish this stream quite a bit as well have you ever canoed or kayaked from the highway downstream?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts