Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Last year on the fly swap someone put in something tied on a Siwash hook. I forget what and who sent it! My memory doesn't keep the details at the top of the pile! So whoever please excuse.
Anyway it got tried in desperate situations which of course doesn't do much for any rig. I thought I'll never see the hook again however yesterday in CTC there they were all line up at the front of the hook display.
Now does anyone use them on a regular basis? Are they for flies, bait or what?
Anyone care to rate them?
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
173 Posts
Paul I dont know anything about siwash... but if the eye is straight, its a bait hook.
turned up eye is a salmon hook, and turned down reg flies.
thats about all I can help with.LOL

M

·
Banned
767 Posts
FWIW, I've been using Siwash hooks for nearly forty years. First used them in salt water when I lived in B.C. Found that they held jumping fish very well.

After B.C. I used them not just in salt water, for mackeral etc., on Norwegian jigs, but also in fresh. Since they are a heavy wire, chromed, salt-water hook, local stores did not carry the smaller sizes in N.S. I sent away for them in several sizes, and over the years replaced most of my treble hooks with Siwash singles, for the sake of C&R, mostly. A barbless [or even barbed] Siwash will hold a fish, but is much easier to remove.

I started with spoons, then spinners and other metal baits, and lastly bass plugs, including all Rapalas and top waters. Its just a matter of finding the right size and number of Siwash singles in order to keep the original action. A lot of my minnow baits have a single Siwash tail hook instead of 3 trebles, and still work perfectly. The only flies I have with Siwash are West Coast hold-overs, mostly on tubes, used for speed-trolling Coho. You will remember that you and I discussed Siwash on tube flies for bass and pickerel, but only if lite wire product can be found. I suppose a small Siwash behind a large tube would not be too unbalanced.

One last tip-- when replacing a treble with a Siwash use a hook whose gap is the same as the gap between any two points on the treble.

cheers,

chuck

P.S.

Lite wire Circle hooks for flies--

http://mustad.no/catalog/na/product.php?id=52 ----cf

·
Registered
173 Posts
just a quick question Chuck... wont the straight eye on those circle hooks be the same as a bait hook?
i tried a straight eye hook(baithook?) and i couldnt hook a fish on it when use to tie a fly.
worked great with a worm on it tho.LOL

·
1,353 Posts
Paul, I use them on some of my tube flies so I suspect the hook you have is the one I added to the swap with my eary attemps at tubes. On a tube they work fine. I never figgered out why up eyed were used for salmon wets and trout dries, down eyes were used for trout wets and streamers. I have salmon hooks on down eyes and like them but you dont see them in use very much. Straight eyes I have used for different flies and I like them as the pull on the hook is a straight line. I guess it's a matter of preference and cofidence.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Hi
Last year on the fly swap someone put in something tied on a Siwash hook. I forget what and who sent it! My memory doesn't keep the details at the top of the pile! So whoever please excuse.
Anyway it got tried in desperate situations which of course doesn't do much for any rig. I thought I'll never see the hook again however yesterday in CTC there they were all line up at the front of the hook display.
Now does anyone use them on a regular basis? Are they for flies, bait or what?
Anyone care to rate them?
Thanks
Paul
The Siwash hook was primarily used by salmon anglers in the Pacific Northwest. I used them for fishing many different species of fish when I lived on the West Coast. What I liked about the hook was the long point on the hook that could be sharpened to a needle point!! I still use them on some of my salt water lures.

For many years I was using the larger SS Siwash for fishing sharks because I could file the point to a NEEDLE SHARP TIP. I caught lots of small to medium sharks on them, until one day I hooked a large Mako that straightened one of them out, and I lost the fish. From that day on, I have never used another Siwash hook for shark fishing. Now I use nothing but forged hooks for sharks.

Anyhow, IMO the Siwash hook should be good for tying flies because of the long shank, and the sharpness of the point on the hook that would give a good hook set with minimal angler effort!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Paul, I use them on some of my tube flies so I suspect the hook you have is the one I added to the swap with my eary attemps at tubes. On a tube they work fine. I never figgered out why up eyed were used for salmon wets and trout dries, down eyes were used for trout wets and streamers. I have salmon hooks on down eyes and like them but you dont see them in use very much. Straight eyes I have used for different flies and I like them as the pull on the hook is a straight line. I guess it's a matter of preference and cofidence.
You are probably correct now that I think of it!
In the old days we just tied on whatever hook was at hand and it seemed fine so long as you got it attached to a fish. So up, down or no eye it went one anyway. I was susprised to see Siwash hooks at CTC but now I know a little about them I'll try some. Give them time and they will be in the discount cart.
Xlobsterman - thanks for your comments. very interesting. Our family were lobster fishermen also although I only helped on school days of. Lobster fishing wasn't a very good paying job then but times sure changed. Old Charlie used to say the thing he missed most in Europe in WW1 was going lobster fishing in the spring. He was a lighthouse keeper and took the temperature reading each day at noon and phoned it in via radio. No internet in those days. His son and I knew when he came to do the readings so on a day like this, we would go put a match under the therometer - drive the temp up to 80F. Then go in and listen to him try to convince whoever he radioed it really was 80!
I enjoy your posts - makes me think of home.
Have a nice winter evening
Paul

·
Banned
767 Posts
just a quick question Chuck... wont the straight eye on those circle hooks be the same as a bait hook?
i tried a straight eye hook(baithook?) and i couldnt hook a fish on it when use to tie a fly.
worked great with a worm on it tho.LOL
Hi Zepp;

The only time I have used Siwash with flies was with saltwater tube flies speed-trolling for Coho. As for flies tied directly on Siwash, I have seen them on marine flies but have not used them, so I can't speak about them. I think snelled strings of mackeral rig 'flies' are straight end, but I've never used them, either.

I don't know why a straight eye would make a difference,[from an up or a down eye], either on a Siwash, a spade end, or a circle hook. Depends on how you tie on, maybe? After all, snelled wet flies are [or were] straight end hooks.

I think the main issue with Siwash is the weight. They are heavy duty hooks, even in small sizes, so maybe [?!?] they tilt up like an anchor [J] with any slack, looking unnatural in a streamer, and turning fish off. Just guessing, here.

cheers

chuck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I noticed a huge difference in the shape of the point,maybe thats the trick.
bud didnt perry say it makes no difference to him?
guess its all in the prefference as he said.
ah someday I'll learn how to fish. I SWEAR! LOL

·
Banned
767 Posts
I noticed a huge difference in the shape of the point,maybe thats the trick.
bud didnt perry say it makes no difference to him?
guess its all in the prefference as he said.
ah someday I'll learn how to fish. I SWEAR! LOL
Hi;

Siwash hooks have a short shank, wide gap, deep bend, and a long point. See--

http://www.anglerscenter.com/hooks_vmc-siwash.htm

Poor quality Siwash, or Siwash that have been over-honed and made to have a long point that is over-thin may bend their points, I suppose. I have not had that experience. But then I suspect that that is true of any style hook.

cheers,

chuck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts