Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hang onto your hats boys. I did a charter with Art on the 14th. We landed 15 sharks. My back was tired after reeling in THREE. Since then I saw on his website that he's had a THIRTY and a FIFTY shark day! I don't know that I'd want any part of that! lol! You'll have a blast, and if you're concerned about the ethics of shark conservation - you'll be fishing with the right guide. All sharks are tagged and released in great condition
-DW
Hi DW,

Thanks for the info on the ethics of the guide, altho' I should have guessed that Dave would never hook up [pun?] with someone who was not conservation-minded.

Even tho' it's inexpensive, it's still a bit more than I can afford right now, so I won't be going.

One more thing--do they use circle hooks when they bait fish for sharks?

regards,

chuck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Chuck Fluff;
Capt Art experimented with circle hooks for over 2 years. Art prefers barbless "J" hooks. All tagging info is shared with the Apex Predator folks from Naragannset RI as well as Bedford Institute of Oceanography up here. He has also taken a lot of DNA samples for a scientific project based in Ireland. If possible, Art removes ALL gear from fish caught. Regards....

·
Banned
613 Posts
One more thing--do they use circle hooks when they bait fish for sharks?
Circle hooks do not work well for C&R shark fishing!!! Have YOU ever tried to get a circle hook out of the corner of a sharks jaws???? It is not an easy task, and IMO, it is not good to leave a hook stuck in the corner of the fishes jaw. I use nothing but cheap bronze hooks for fishing Blue Sharks, and if they are hooked too deep I just cut the leader as close to the shark as possible.

Now, that being said, there are ways of reducing gut hooked sharks!!! When I am chumming and drifting for sharks, I do not have any baited hooks in the water! I wait for the fish to swim up the chum line, then I size the rod & bait to the size of the fish I intend to catch. I then toss the bait over the side, and watch the fish eat the bait, and then set the hook as soon as the fish takes the bait, this gives you a good hook set for an easy hook removal.

Anyhow, just my .02 cents on circle hooks for sharks......................

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Circle hooks do not work well for C&R shark fishing!!! Have YOU ever tried to get a circle hook out of the corner of a sharks jaws???? It is not an easy task, and IMO, it is not good to leave a hook stuck in the corner of the fishes jaw. I use nothing but cheap bronze hooks for fishing Blue Sharks, and if they are hooked too deep I just cut the leader as close to the shark as possible.

Now, that being said, there are ways of reducing gut hooked sharks!!! When I am chumming and drifting for sharks, I do not have any baited hooks in the water! I wait for the fish to swim up the chum line, then I size the rod & bait to the size of the fish I intend to catch. I then toss the bait over the side, and watch the fish eat the bait, and then set the hook as soon as the fish takes the bait, this gives you a good hook set for an easy hook removal.

Anyhow, just my .02 cents on circle hooks for sharks......................
I have no experience removing any sort of hook from a shark's jaws, but I kind of thought that if could get a small one out of a pickerel's jaw, than it shouldn't be much different taking a large one out of a shark's. Particularly barbless hooks, since true circle hooks don't need barbs to hold fish, even leaping fish. Granted, you don't do it with your fingers--some kind of long-handled grips would be necessary.

True, it is not good to leave a hook in a shark's [or any fish's] jaw, but I think that it's better than leaving it in the throat or gut, don't you? As for bronze, it doesn't rust and resists acid. Hi-carbon non-stainless steel hooks would deteriorate much faster in salt water or stomach acid, I would think. Anybody with knowledge of metal properties, feel free to correct me on this if I'm mistaken.

That said, you do seem to take great care in how you go about hooking the fish, and I applaud that effort.

Just asking-- but have you ever actually tried to take a barbless circle hook out of a shark's jaw?

chuck [aka 'Fluffy"?!?!?
]

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Chuck Fluff;
Despite what has been written, (and accepted as gospel, by most of us)about hooks and the deterioration of same when left in fish both in fresh and saltwater, some folks recently conducted scientific tests. The results showed that contrary to what we all believe, very little deterioration takes place,regardless of the hook material. The new thinking is now, if humanly possible, to remove everything from a fish. Regards......

·
Banned
613 Posts
Chuck Fluff;
Despite what has been written, (and accepted as gospel, by most of us)about hooks and the deterioration of same when left in fish both in fresh and saltwater, some folks recently conducted scientific tests. The results showed that contrary to what we all believe, very little deterioration takes place,regardless of the hook material. The new thinking is now, if humanly possible, to remove everything from a fish. Regards......
Well Ian,
I will have to agree that it is always better to remove a hook from a shark (or any fish) but if it can not be done with minimal stress to the shark, IMO, it is much better to just cut it off and leave it in the shark.

Now, that being said, I did not do alot of C&R shark fishing when I lived out West, because it was not manditory to do so like it is here in NS. We could keep 2 sharks per day while sportfishing, and I could keep an unlimited amount of sharks under my commercial licence! But when I was intending to Tag & Release my sharks for the day, I would use some inexpensive bronze hooks made by Mustad, size 9/0 number 9174. At the time these hooks were $10 for a box of 50, so it was no big deal to cut the hook off.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Chuck Fluff;
Hi SM;

Yes, I know that, thanks. But often it can't be done, the hook is just too deep, and then anything is better than stainless steel or bronze.

Which is why I am such a strong advocate of barbless circle hooks for natural baits, and artificially scented and flavoured artificial baits. They are seldom, if ever, taken deep, their curve makes barbs unnecessary, and barbless they are simple to remove from the 'lips' of pickerel and other 'toothy-critters', including, I expect, sharks. Just have long-handled 'forceps' to do it with. A simple twist and 'pop', it's out. Can be done without taking the fish out of the water, in most cases.

I have question for you. I know that BFT , as members of the mackeral family, do not have air bladders, and so they sink to the bottom when dead, making dead BFT hard to spot without a tracking device. They are deep water fish, so dead ones rarely, if ever, wash up on shore. At the same time, like all hard-fighting fish, lactic acid shock can kill them hours after getting off the hook, with nobody the wiser. My question is, is it the same for sharks?

thanks,

chuck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Chuck Fluff;
I believe that all fish, if fought to exhaustion, can die because of the lactic acid buildup. The tagging studies reveal, because they do provide statistics and data that is useful to the scientific community, that, if handled properly, revived, and returned to their habitat quickly, enough shark and tuna survive to make it a viable practise. I know that doesn't answer your question with any specificity, but I think it covers the ground. From what I know, the largest factor in the survival rates of BFT post catch, is the care with which the fish is treated. I do know that if the tuna is "swum" to cool it down, (these fish can raise or lower their tempreture up to 10 degrees during a fight) the meat is more valuable and, if released, probability of survival after tagging is elevated. I once spent an afternoon with Dr Molly Lutcavage, one of the premiere BFT experts/reasearchers on the planet, she would be a person to whom you could address your question and get an expert answer instead of a "guesstimate" from a layman such as myself. (Just google her name)You have been misinformed about BFT. They definitely DO have swim bladders although mackeral and sharks don't. Sharks rely on the oil in their livers for bouyancy. Almost everything sinks to the bottom after it dies. It is usually putrefaction and the gasses produced which cause things to float. The baits you describe are often taken deep and that is exactly why the circle is so effective. They actually can be pulled from the gut without engaging in the internal organs. It is when they are leaving the mouth that the angle changes and the point becomes lodged in, more often than not, the corner of the jaw. Regards....

Reactions: Shimanoman

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi SM;

Yes, I know that, thanks. But often it can't be done, the hook is just too deep, and then anything is better than stainless steel or bronze.

Which is why I am such a strong advocate of barbless circle hooks for natural baits, and artificially scented and flavoured artificial baits. They are seldom, if ever, taken deep, their curve makes barbs unnecessary, and barbless they are simple to remove from the 'lips' of pickerel and other 'toothy-critters', including, I expect, sharks. Just have long-handled 'forceps' to do it with. A simple twist and 'pop', it's out. Can be done without taking the fish out of the water, in most cases.

I have question for you. I know that BFT , as members of the mackeral family, do not have air bladders, and so they sink to the bottom when dead, making dead BFT hard to spot without a tracking device. They are deep water fish, so dead ones rarely, if ever, wash up on shore. At the same time, like all hard-fighting fish, lactic acid shock can kill them hours after getting off the hook, with nobody the wiser. My question is, is it the same for sharks?

thanks,

chuck
Just did some reading and it says they do not have an air bladder.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Hi SM;

thanks,

chuck
Well Fluffy,
I am not sure how much saltwater fishing you have done, (if any) but the bronze hooks I use are not solid bronze, they are just bronze plated to cut the glare, and to camoflage the hook when fishing with live baits! And when used in saltwater, they start rusting whithin hours of use. I never use any hook on more than one fish, and never after being used on 1 fishing trip because of the rusting issue!!!

Here is a pic of a Tuna I caught last year, take note of the BRONZE hook!!!

And as for the Tuna, you are correct they do not have swim baladders, this is why they must keep swimming 24 hours a day, and they are constantly on the move! But you are wrong when you say Tuna are deep water fish! I have seen them feeding on mackeral in 50ft of water when they have chased the mackerel into the shallows to feed on them!

You are also correct that a dead Tuna will sink to the bottom if they die from lactic acid shock from being over exerted in a battle on rod & reel..............................SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT OF THAT STATEMENT?

Also, Pelagic Sharks have no swim bladder, and must keep swimming! If one dies from being caught and released, it will sink to the bottom and become crab food and nobody will be the wiser............................!

So how much saltwater fishing have you done?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys I been shark fishing for the last 15 years mostly in tourneys,for the last 2 years I have used nothing but circle hooks every shark hooked in the corner of the mouth.Just make sure you use very large hooks this works very well for us as we never see the sharks be fore we hook them maybe one will come up the chum line to the boat but most always take the bait and you do not have to tend the lines so close.We hooked over 140 sharks in 3 tourneys last year with no problems.Only problem was the Yarmouth tourney just too many sharks had to take our lines out the water, I landed 20 over 10 feet in length myself but I have the gear and a fighting chair for the big ones is a must,I have fought 300 lb.sharks for over a hour in the standing position and the fun soon runs out of the fight.Getting ready for the Lockeport Derby as I type.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Hi guys I been shark fishing for the last 15 years mostly in tourneys,for the last 2 years I have used nothing but circle hooks every shark hooked in the corner of the mouth.Just make sure you use very large hooks this works very well for us as we never see the sharks be fore we hook them maybe one will come up the chum line to the boat but most always take the bait and you do not have to tend the lines so close.We hooked over 140 sharks in 3 tourneys last year with no problems.Only problem was the Yarmouth tourney just too many sharks had to take our lines out the water, I landed 20 over 10 feet in length myself but I have the gear and a fighting chair for the big ones is a must,I have fought 300 lb.sharks for over a hour in the standing position and the fun soon runs out of the fight.Getting ready for the Lockeport Derby as I type.
Hey Sharkin,
you must have won 1st, 2nd, & 3rd places in the derby in Yarmouth last year with all those 10ft+ blue sharks!!!! Got any pictures to share with us?

http://newenglandsha...om/Wt.-IGFA.htm

http://www.yarmouths...e.com/home.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Xlobsterman I have never been in a derby that uses the fork length measurement,the last 20 derbies I have been in use the over all length measurement thus getting me used to measuring them this way.For this reason the 20 sharks I landed in Yarmouth were in the 250 to 275 Lb range, just could not locate the big ones.My last 5 derbies I placed first twice, 2nd twice and about tenth in Yarmouth as this was all new ground to us.I will find a place to post pics as I have hundreds of pics and videos my best to date was a 410 lb thresher shark that won liverpool 2 years ago and to my knowledge is a record for the longest shark caught in a derby in Nova Scotia.I fought a 15 foot blue for 2 hrs only to have him tear apart the leader.My blue dogs in lockeport were 375lbs and 345lbs good enough for second ,got beat by a mako. We were allowed 8 sharks, all were over 300lbs.As for shark weights I have seen hundreds of sharks weighed and can judge them pretty close as for the large mako you posted the weight on that is a joke, the large one landed in Yarmouth would of ate that one,i guess just someone lookin for fame.Still can not wait for the Lockeport derby whoopie.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Chuck Fluff;
While I don't know where the myth that Bluefin Tuna have no swim bladders was started, it appears to have been believed by a lot of folks. (Including some other members of this site!!). I DO know that a study, attempting to identify BFT and Yellow eye Tuna by the sounds made by their swim bladders was conducted in the Monterey Bay Aquarium (a centre for undersea research) during the early part of this milennium. The report was accepted for publication in February 2003 (peer reviewed) The two researchers were Dr. Scott Allen of the Scripps Institute of Oceanography and Dr. David A Demer of the Southwest Fisheries Science Centre both in La Jolla California. I leave it up to you to decide as to whether a BFT has a swim bladder. I cannot speak from experience as I have never caught a BFT, nor have I been present when one was gutted. Some folks who have caught BFT say the BFT has no swim bladder. I suspect that they did not clean their catch OR they were not particularly observant when they did so (and also believed the Old wives tale that they didn't have one!!). On the other hand I have caught mackeral and do not recall ever seeing a swim bladder. I find it difficult to believe that these men with extensive piscatorial experience and letters(PHD's) would expend energy, time, and money to experiment on something which does not exist. Regards.........

·
Banned
613 Posts
As for shark weights I have seen hundreds of sharks weighed and can judge them pretty close as for the large mako you posted the weight on that is a joke, the large one landed in Yarmouth would of ate that one,i guess just someone lookin for fame.
Well Sharkin,
I am not sure where you are coming from with that statement?????

But, the fish in the link I posted in the other message is a pending state record fish, and is 16lbs heavier than the fish that was caught in Yarmouth in 2004!!! It was weighed on a certified tournament scale, with lots of whitnesses!!!

http://www.grindtv.c...ornia%20record/

Anyhow, the best of luck to you in the Lockeport Derby..................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts