Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many sharks are being caught by members on the forum, so far I went twice and have been skunked both times, for a variety of reasons I think, but just wondering how everyone else is making out....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Where did you go? What did u use for chum? I have been out on 3 trips and a total of 21 shark were boated ,tagged and released. Check the BlueShark charters site, Capt Art has been having a phenominal year with a total of 50, yes 50 sharks boated on one charter!! It must have been a zoo!! Regards....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where did you go? What did u use for chum? I have been out on 3 trips and a total of 21 shark were boated ,tagged and released. Check the BlueShark charters site, Capt Art has been having a phenominal year with a total of 50, yes 50 sharks boated on one charter!! It must have been a zoo!! Regards....
We went just off Shelburne 5-6 miles used herring for chum, temp was around 58 deg. I think the chum wathe issue this time it wasn't ground up, and didn't put out a really good slick.

Plan on grinding up the next bunch and will use mackeral a friend of mine is giving me a tote full of guts and stewed bait he has put aside. Iam going to add some vegatable oil, and a secret ingredient to try and set down a better slick.

Anyway see how this works.

The three trips were these on the Black Pearl ?

I have seen Art success and wish him well.

The idea of the post was to see who else besides commercial operations were catching sharks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard that most of the sharks caught in the Lockeport Sea Derby were caught close to shore, 3-5 miles as opposed to the more traditional locations much further out?

Is this true maybe someone can confirm this.

Appears that the water temperature is really condusive to large pelagics coming closer to shore.

I looked at the sea surface temps today and there is really warm water close in if this holds the LIverpool tourney could have lots of action.

The tuna boats from PEI are here again in Shelburne....

·
Banned
613 Posts
I heard that most of the sharks caught in the Lockeport Sea Derby were caught close to shore, 3-5 miles as opposed to the more traditional locations much further out?

Is this true maybe someone can confirm this.

Appears that the water temperature is really condusive to large pelagics coming closer to shore.

I looked at the sea surface temps today and there is really warm water close in if this holds the LIverpool tourney could have lots of action.

The tuna boats from PEI are here again in Shelburne....
I was out fishing in my area last week and the water temps were 68 degrees. I had a blue shark to the chum bucket in less than 10 miniutes.

BTW, what website are you using for your water temps?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree water looks almost too warm for the blue dogs,with this water temperture there will be lots of pups around,but they are a pain in the butt when you are in a tourney.There were larger sharks caught in Lockeport closer to shore near the edge,where the warm water meets the cold,the larger sharks seem to like 58 to 61 degrees.Well of to Liverpool in a few hours,heading out to sea at 7 pm tonite.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
XLobsterman; The chart I use was referred to me by Hiltz and it is teh Rutgers Sea surface temperature, put that in google and it will come up a really good and accurate sight, I use Maine as my map and it picks up the Southshore, iam not sure if it will show your location?

10 min and a blue shark, sounds good.

I am still learning but its is an excioting education.

Good luck Sharkin in the Liverpool Tourney, maybe a hugh thresher again?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts