Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Little Early for this Topic yet I believe but it is good to get an early start for those who may need a little info on getting geared up, or just have a basic discussion on the fishery itself.
I know you can get Chum at H&H in Eastern Passage for around $15 a 5 gal tub, but I think you have the option of bringing your own buckets for a cheaper price???, anyone know any other places?, also I was wondering if anyone knew where a fella could get a drum of blood?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Little Early for this Topic yet I believe but it is good to get an early start for those who may need a little info on getting geared up, or just have a basic discussion on the fishery itself.
I know you can get Chum at H&H in Eastern Passage for around $15 a 5 gal tub, but I think you have the option of bringing your own buckets for a cheaper price???, anyone know any other places?, also I was wondering if anyone knew where a fella could get a drum of blood?
Hey I thought it was a good question!

·
Registered
575 Posts
lol the conversations that seem normal to fisherman
Hahaha you're right, if anyone else asked from a drum of blood they'd get reported to the officials immediately lol.

Anyway, what do you guys mean when you say chum? I went ice fishing for smelt a few years ago and we used some chum for them and if I recall correctly, it was something like canned tuna mixed with oatmeal? Is this the same for the sharks or what?

·
Registered
6 Posts
mackeral makes the best chum because of the high oil content...herring not far behind.....you can buy herring oil and or redfish oil down pubnico way at the fish plants. use the $15 stuff at hnh for the bulk but ground fresh mackeral,no name catfood and some herring oil along side it to add to your chum line will do wonders

·
Banned
613 Posts
Here is a pic of a handy piece of hardware I have had on 3 different boats over the past 20+ years. It is great for chumming for mackerel, and sharks. You take any type of fish, drop them in the bucket, pound away with the SS chopper, and you have an instant chum slick, with no fuss, and no mess in the boat!!!!! IMO, this was one of the BEST investments I have made over the years in a piece of fishing equipment! I have caught LOTS of sharks over the years using this chummer!!!

·
Banned
613 Posts
Nice, Doesn't look too complicated, If a fella was handy around metal i'm sure you could wip one up
Making the chopper would be NO problem if you can weld Stainless Steel. Now, I am no plummer, but making the bucket should be fairly easy also if there is such a thing as 7" ABS pipe? Then you will need some SS mounting brackets to mount it to the transom of the boat, and your good to go!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
What are the chances of picking up a couple smaller sharks in the outer Halifax harbor? I have a young nephew coming next week that would absolutely go bananas if he could catch a little shark.

What tactics/bait would work best? I am swinging by the DFO today for my license.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are the chances of picking up a couple smaller sharks in the outer Halifax harbor? I have a young nephew coming next week that would absolutely go bananas if he could catch a little shark.

What tactics/bait would work best? I am swinging by the DFO today for my license.
Chances are rare but not Impossible. Call The Fish Basket in EP and see if they have any chum made up, if not maybe they will make you some at between $15-$20 depending on whether or not you give them the buckets. IMO it is a little to early to go Sharkin' but I may be wrong. usualy wait until the water gets warmer and head out deep deep water. The odd shark may be comming in after those Herring and Mackerel that are close to comming in the harbour. Freeze your chum and tie it to your boat, I like 4 buckets lol, but you could probably get away with 2. and use mackerel for bait!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Picked up 6 sharks on Tues on Browns Bank with my 50 dollar walmart combo, all small ones but a start. Water temps inside where I go in my outboard within a couplemiles are almost 51 already. Looks like an early season so far !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts