Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions regarding Shad fishing. First, what colour shad darts seem be the best? Does it matter much if the darts have a tail or not? Second, is there a certain way to get more strikes from shad? I know that I should be near the bottom but I can never seem to reel very many fish in. I mainly fish on The Stewiacke and Nine Mile Rivers in deep, dark pools and bends. Thanks

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Well in the shubie with the slow current i found you have to tap your darts. When you do thisit causes the tail on my darts to flail ie flairs out for a second and if the fish is following the dart it veiws this as aggression and hits back. You better be ready because the hit is veery hard. To do that tec. you cast out, take up any slack and tip low and line strait out and tight and retrieving flick your wrist and the rod tip should move no more than 2inches and keep retriveng slowlyo_OIf you dont have the rod arm tight against your body when you do this you"ll feel the hit right up to the shoulder:oops: Color can matter some days, The golden rule, small is good in your dart size.I found some days get it in front of them and they hit. My nephew was trying for bass on the Nixtau with a 3.5in rapala silver. That 5lber had tio come home that day it swallowed it. I use alot of the floroesant colors alot but my fallback dart is black head and white body and tail. Tap it. When all else fails, the black and white prevails.Followed by the pink lady, the catches everything dart:LOL: Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well in the shubie with the slow current i found you have to tap your darts. When you do thisit causes the tail on my darts to flail ie flairs out for a second and if the fish is following the dart it veiws this as aggression and hits back. You better be ready because the hit is veery hard. To do that tec. you cast out, take up any slack and tip low and line strait out and tight and retrieving flick your wrist and the rod tip should move no more than 2inches and keep retriveng slowlyo_OIf you dont have the rod arm tight against your body when you do this you"ll feel the hit right up to the shoulder:oops: Color can matter some days, The golden rule, small is good in your dart size.I found some days get it in front of them and they hit. My nephew was trying for bass on the Nixtau with a 3.5in rapala silver. That 5lber had tio come home that day it swallowed it. I use alot of the floroesant colors alot but my fallback dart is black head and white body and tail. Tap it. When all else fails, the black and white prevails.Followed by the pink lady, the catches everything dart:LOL: Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice S Jollymore! I will definitely have to try this technique the next time I'm out. Another question, would you happen to know where I could buy some black and white or pink lady darts nearby? I'm located in Colchester County

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm the only one to makes them . The Pink lady was named after I put together the first one"the color a Lady would like" A friend mine showed me the black and white when things got super slow and we started to get fish steady.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on, I was wondering whether "The Pink Lady" was a common dart or something that you created haha. Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can find anything similar to that. I've got a few darts that are mostly either yellow or white. I imagine that they likely will do the trick if I don't find any different patterned darts. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts