Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one out there chasin shad with a fly rod? If so howd ya make out. I was out once and did get one and missed a few but the fishing was very slow for everyone regardless of method

·
Registered
44 Posts
Any one out there chasin shad with a fly rod? If so howd ya make out. I was out once and did get one and missed a few but the fishing was very slow for everyone regardless of method
Hi jcambell,

Plenty of folks fish for shad with a fly rod. I got the shad in the picture below on the Subenacadie River upstream of the 277 bridge. I think it was 28th of May; there were plenty of fish then.

Best of luck,
J.B.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was out Yesterday morning btw Elmsdale and Lantz and got about 10. They are now hitting quite aggressively as I think they are done spawning and the recent rain didn't hurt either. After today however, I hope it's not too much rain for the fly. I figure they may be around for another week or 2 until they return to the ocean. I've been fishing for them since May 1st and yesterday was the best I had it so far this season. For most of May I could only get the odd one to take, but not now. Get out there!!

BEEV

·
Registered
806 Posts
Try a gold conehead with a chartreuse chenille body and tail of chartreuse flash (on a mustad 3399A hook in sizes 2-6). My go to and a killer at that. Easy Peasy tie. Also try the same pattern in pink

·
1,353 Posts
Fly rod darts have been around for decades. I used them and found the 1/16 oz the best size for me. They are made in 1/32 and 1/64 oz. I made them with a mold and didn't bother with tails/ I would put a micro-grub on at times and it worked well.
I use a fly with a loop of wool for a tail. It was suggested that it would prevent the shad from spitting out the fly as the inside of the mouth is like velcro. I dont know if that is true but the fly works!

Another pattern I use is bonefish flies. Crazy charlies and Gotyas for example. They work well for me.
I like Flo orange and Chartruse after that white and red. Other colours work at times but you will catch fish on what you believe will catch fish

·
Banned
585 Posts
Great pictures as always Perry, great ties and great info guys. Great job. I dare say we'll see a couple more fly fishers on the water next year!
Shad is such a rewarding fish to catch but truely on a fly rod little compares in a fast flowing river. Well a couple exceptions!

Trav

·
Registered
806 Posts
that does sound like fun!i tried a few times in bridgetown with no results
. might actually hace to try it again , problem is that it's spawn time for smallies and i love fishin them too!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
yeah but site fishing the beds is both adrenaline pumping , and a challenge!and also easier done in midday.
decisions
no prob fish smallies in the afternoon pack a sandwich eat in car/truck as you head to bridgetown for 6pm start. Trust me you can make it work there us always a way to get in a
full day of fishing

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi jcambell,

Plenty of folks fish for shad with a fly rod. I got the shad in the picture below on the Subenacadie River upstream of the 277 bridge. I think it was 28th of May; there were plenty of fish then.

Best of luck,
J.B.

hey jb that pair of lip grippers you have in the pic. how do you like them and did you get them locally?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts