Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Here's the Scultle butt on re opening 30 of MayIf it is the 30th, I'll know were I'll be 5:30 am that day Setting the hook in middleton if I'm not hit up for darts on the eway up. Yes at 5:30 am .My reply can't I go up and catch a few and this older gentlemen says no :blink: Your going to catch a ton today so what the hurry. So i stop and sell him what he calls my specials Ps Spotted several Shad out In Brooklyn on my way home. they were holding just down river from the bridge with a school of gaby.If the tide is going to still be out after i have my lunch I'm heading out :D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Word today from DR Stang :angry: Second week of June Provincial travel ban the , end for most Shad fishers outside that area . Sadly enough for most . That is usually my last weekend to fish. It tends to go so sideways :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's too bad this travel ban happened during shad season :( This will (might) be the first time in many many years that I won't get out for some shad fishing. I read the current ban is in place until June 9th so maybe, just maybe, I'll head down to Middleton if the ban is lifted on the 9th. I usually don't bother in June as the shad are usually zombies after the spawn but I'll be tempted to give it a try if I can. The older I get, the quicker time seems to pass so if I don't get out this year, it will seem like no time until May 2022 rolls around. Let us know if you manage to catch some in your neck of the woods Mr. J

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Checked Broollyn today no fish at low tide.All other Long weekends had 2 to6 shad per tide under the bridge. I think things are a bit late this year and It might bode well for a later June fish. looking at my records from 12 years ago It was really awesome on the third Sun. of June. afternoon fish. alot of new fish in the system.If the water stays cool we can hope.Yhis year has the same conditions, also Down there if The Nixtau is running fast they stop the spawn and go deep for low and slow fishing.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
:( Here the report from Middleton1 evening ago 2 persons on the point(not from anywere near Middleton) I was told I new them and do ;) They were not doing well at all. The fly fishing was slow only 2 fish on the Nixtau.The evening before this 3 locals who were getting a few but no big numbers.Water is cold and if you don't know how to deal with this its slow fishing.As my freind said your not there cracking things up with you friends :mellow: Very blue today the first time in 38 years I'm not their today. :wacko: Threw the week it has been slow fishing down there. Like to hear from Elmsdale ! Ps those two go there to fish from away are food fishing. Also when things are cold and slow tap your dart.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Checked out Meander in Brooklyn by bridge, nothing but Salmon Par jumping on fly. No these are not Bay of fundy Salmon Par They have reseeded the river with Atlantic run Salmon.This has been going on for 2 years.Heard from a few fellow anglers and Buissness owners= and family. Not happy with the shut down and the word is the Liberels will not be getting there votes this coming election. The words such as heavy handed and shutdown fatigue and loss of deposites this spring.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Checked the big salmon pools above the high tide line in Brooklyn yesterday . Went for a walk i haven't done since I was 21 fishing trout there. Not even a bumb. Change things up this am Took my earliest run on Panuke in years with my boat . Got into 10 Smallmouth mostly 1lbers. Had to fish them real slow but good fight. Landed over 20 nice trout kept the ones deep hooked my biggest was 14in :D two 13 , one 11in and one 10in.one heavy bag of fish for trout.They all fought and took out drag great fights for trout :eek: .With almost no Covid in our area in West Hants i Hope they will due a limited opening of travel

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
A friend directed me to the internet page were they have the travel ban on They have written that this state of emergency ends on June 1 at 8 am, lets hope so.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
As of June 1 8:00am :D Travel restrictions come off for outside the HRM You can bet the very next early AM I'll be on the point in Middleton by 6:30am To Scatch that irratating long term itch. Dr Stang announced today this at 3:30 pm today. :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
As of June 1 8:00am :D Travel restrictions come off for outside the HRM You can bet the very next early AM I'll be on the point in Middleton by 6:30am To Scatch that irratating long term itch. Dr Stang announced today this at 3:30 pm today. :D
Congrats!! but not for HRM yet. :(

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Here 's the report for the long weekend 8 persons fishing on the river per day durning the long weekend :eek: . Water is down and they keep on turning the water down on thee Nixtau slowing down the bite.Today and tonight its been raining hard here in Hants and they are getting the same thing.So it should help.Still planning to leave here by 4:30 am Wed for a day of Shad. Yes will be hitting it again Sat and maybe Thru of this week pm fish.Lets hope lots of rain :D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
PS Dom I don't think there putting any road blocks up and most have had there shots plus its still 6 ft distantancing . More than a few other from HRM have already been down many times.So i've heard :D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Unless something happens big, I will be heading down for the day tommorrow and setting up at the park for a BBQ lunch and relax in some shade :D If your planning to joining in bring chair cooking 6 vension Italian big what called fatties :D Ie social distancing when were there.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Just got the news All travel in NS reopening Wed of this week. A friend and fellow fisher will be joining me after he drops off the wife to work. Hope to see you down there Dono

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just got the news All travel in NS reopening Wed of this week. A friend and fellow fisher will be joining me after he drops off the wife to work. Hope to see you down there Dono
Yes, I got Phase 1 reopening info from website:

• Travel is permitted within Nova Scotia (you can travel outside your community) effective 1 June 2021.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thrilled to know that the travel restrictions have been lifted. I was able to rebook my airbnb and will be heading down to Middleton at the beginning of next week for 4 days of shad fishing :D Given how cold the water temps were until recently, I'm hoping the spawning was delayed and that the shad will still provide a good fight. Anyone have updates on the fishing in Middleton?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Here is the report first day on the river in Midelton. arrived at the point 5 :45 water was Mid May level . I cast strait out , no bite ,took a read of the river fired the 4 river pink lady in to the boil on my left fish on :D , 14 fish in a row and that set the trend for the morning quite at 50 of the big cows at 10:30 There was 2 other fly fishers there then the people started to arrive even some long time friends. I packed it in early due to my paitfull left arm. 0 to 50 on a torn rotator . hit the park and fired up the BBQ. Pm was alot slower no new fish and a lot of males in the pm.There were still some big females being caught. In the pm you had to grind to get fish and it was crowded, there was a run on my dart kit all day the guys from across the river hit me at the park at lunch. The slot fished real slow but up river there was pockets of fish.Darcy my friend spent the whole am fly fishing up there and showed up at the park for the BBQ. Big smile he told me he managed to land 12 big females.Loved watching them hit the fly.The biggesr surprise for me was a fellow fished showed up in the am and " Stephen your not fly fishing this year" Yes I been busted I have picked up a fly rod from time to time and had a blast.. another funny point I had a fellow fly show me his kit tyhen I showed him mine he offered me 20 dollar for one of my flys, My answer no :D this is my goods stuff made special for me. :ph34r: Had a great day talk to some long time fellow fishers who did sneak down :ph34r: Heard the stories of people getting nailed up at the road while they were fishing, Did you know if you went on the rainy days they left you alone :ph34r: Was goint to head down this pm, going to give the left a rest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey SJ, were you wearing camo cabelas breathable bootfoot waders and your buddy Darcy flyroding up past the corner? If so for both, I was talking to you and flyroding w your buddy the other day.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I do have camo waders but only was up once in the am I was on the point nailing the big cows. If it was the that time we spoke i had a wide ruim white hat on all day.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts