Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Here's the report for this week from Middleton :blink: Yes this is a icon on how I feel stuck in Hants West. For the last couple of days fly fishers getting the odd one per trip.The spin fishers are averaging 1 each per hour with 4 people across from the point last evening only catch 1 each in 4 hours in . The fishing is very slow up at the point and across the river. Water levels normal but very cold. Last year on the second weekend of May the water was cold normal and it was very slow with a 5 fish am and 15 fish pm. Checked the river in Brooklyn nothing doing yet, there is a tiny run there May June. That was :D 39 years ago were I got hooked on shad.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well With what felt the icon I used last post I reached out to persons that make decisions and got a long call back.One discussion on the loss of our abilities to enjoy the out doors and fish in rivers in NS.I was asked to explain what this comment was about and to some ones surprise they didn't know this was happening. After 45min conversation my last comment . Time and Tide wait for no person.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just seen on CTV that 3 men from Halifax were fined wednesday for being in middleton Shad fishing.
Do you have the link to the CTV article? I didn't hear anything about that but I can't say I'm surprised. I have a friend who works with Fisheries and Aquaculture. She told me that fishery officers will be clamping down on people fishing outside of their municipality. Apparently, they can issue fines from $500 to $10K. $10K seems pretty excessive to me but there is no way I'm taking the risk of leaving HRM. Until the latest news today, I was still holding hope that I would be able to spend the 3rd week of May in Middleton. I still haven't cancelled my Air BnB but it's not looking good . This might be the 1st year in many years that I won't get out for some shad fishing :angry: Around this time last year it wasn't looking good but it all worked out in the end. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a miracle. If you're not able to get out shad fishing yourself I hope there are some other good fishing spots within your municipality. Stay safe out there! Hopefully Covid will be in the rear view mirror by the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I got A phone call from a good friend living in Middleton Be carefull and don't come down some local persons a ratting out non locals.They want the place to themselves.Funny 3 person minding there own Ps and Qs fishing,what business does anyone have calling the RCMP. What riles myself is that yes there are covid restrictions, but most persons fishing shad use it as a food source.I too take some home for this and last year I received a calls for my fish in my freezer too help out some pensioners in need of assistants. I can say myself I can afford the high cost of fish in the stores. but 40ys ago I lived on a farm and it was hand to mouth existence for my family.Been there and know how it fells. I had reservation also and had to be cancelled also. How to get a June fish in and spend 5 days down there. Ps Much different beasts in June

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Just a footnote last year we had covid in the province and were in a limited lockdown and were not allowed to stay in other places but were allowed to travel to go fishing. Est. 6 to 8 thousand persons shad fish in the province plus out of province. Their is no record of any fisherman spreading covid 19 to any other !!! I was fishing local at the Beaverpond this pm and was successful from shore using plastics casting right along the shore.There was a father and son fishing 200ys up and he finally hollered what was I using. I was packing up to due a little trout fish and pulled up by them. Put my mask on a jumped out, he had all so masked up and stood 6ft away as I showed them how to run Weedless .Did land one small trout in at the bridge on the Walton Wood Rd and.Mixed my pleasures. Ps Last year I was invited down in Middleton To what a few in the Know as the Private Spot. On Private posted land :ph34r: Well have to wait to last week of May to see what happens.Will post updates as i get them. :wacko:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think I'd waste my time fishing for shad once June rolls around. Last time I did fish in June, the shad were like zombies with little fight...no fun whatsoever. It seems like water temps might be a little lower than normal this year so maybe spawning will be delayed by a week or so. S. Jollymore, I know you have lots of experience fishing for shad in Middleton. What would you say is the latest in the season where the shad are still worth catching? Looking forward to reading your updates although it will start to feel like cruel and unusual punishment when you post about amazing days in Middleton when I'm stuck in HRM

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
We had wet snow today and if the temps stay down you have to work for the bigger #s of Shad, Also had stellar days fishing in June down therein past years. If the water stays cold the spawn will start later.I went down some 10years ago with a father and his two young sons on the 3 rd weekend of june , It was Identical to this year so far. Cool and misty afternoon evening fish. We could not stop hooking fish plus I hooked a horror worst than the zombie fish . I was fishing the slot and they would hand me down the rods and i would hook up 4 in a row every time. We fished the point all the way down to the bridge hooking up and it was dark when we left. I got a call the next day from there dad :eek: The boys couldn't move their arms . :D Hurt to much

·
Registered
9 Posts
I keep some notes about fishing and on June 28th in 2018 and June 28th 2020 I was shad fishing in Middleton and had very nice days fishing. In 2020 I was using #10 fly/darts so the hook pulled out of quite a few hooked fish. I do not find a big difference in the energy of the shad this late in the year. Hopefully the travel restrictions will be relaxed in time for some shad fishing. I will also likely try to find some spots in Kings County. I have caught shad in the Cornwallis River while trout fishing and I know one guy who does well shad fishing the Cornwallis. I wouldn't take a chance on going to Middleton. Enforcement just has to run the RO of cars parked anywhere around.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Last year the fishing went sideways on the second weekend , they were in full spawn mode. I had a great day fishing with a fly fisher am up on the Nixtau, non stop hook and release. In the Afternoon I was up there again for 5 hrs playing the top water game, then down at the point for the low and slow fishing.Let hope they open things up the end of May.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Talk to a friend in Middleton Water high, Blow out, Check the water level for Annopolis River 3 meter above normal, 9ft OMG. Nobody will be fishing that for a few days.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Here's a footnote I'm also a Pal Instructor and today got an email stating once we get out of the triple digits said by ie end of May we could start up the courses again. Ie No travel BAN.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's a footnote I'm also a Pal Instructor and today got an email stating once we get out of the triple digits said by ie end of May we could start up the courses again. Ie No travel BAN.
That's encouraging to hear. Looks like the current restrictions are helping and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the trend to continue re: lower and lower new cases each day. It will be great if we are allowed to travel outside our municipalities at the end of the month. From what you said in an earlier post, we might have a few weeks of decent shad fishing once we can get to Middleton. In the meantime, more trout fishing for me which has been great despite the cool temps

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
All I been able is a little trout fishing and this week had the boat in the Beaverpond on Mon pm for picky. Thought like last year I would be alone ! What a surprise, after 1 there 5 more showed up plus dozen fishing from shore, small lake and a lot of traffic.If nothing opens up I'll try Panunk for trout and Smallies

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Here's The report from Middleton Report. one person at a private spot landed 3 then the flood began.. Even fields are flooded 10ft above normal.No body parked at the bridge or parking lot in the park. at 7:00 pm. My good friend Ted said no one could fish the flood.I have many times and it's nonstop fishing at the point. 200 fish days. Sent a email to Dr Stang today, just to let him know how this is effecting myself and the other fishers and how time is running out for the sea runs. {This in short form}. Also sent a copy to my MLA. Got a call an hour after I sent the email but it was to garbled to hear the other person but it was a Halifax #

Ps the local rats wait to you park then call your Lic plate in..

·
Registered
22 Posts
@ S. Jollymore. Thanks for the updates. I'm sure you'll let us know if you hear anything about plans for the restrictions to be lifted. I like $2400 in my pocket more than I like shad fishing so I won't be going anywhere near Middleton at the moment. To be honest, I really don't blame the rats. The reason things got out of control in NS was people not giving a crap about others. A few people have died now due to those who didn't give a crap. It's not the rats who are the problem, it's the few people who didn't give a crap in the first place. We all know fishing isn't high risk for exposure but I think about other things I'd do on my journey to Middleton, like stopping for gas, a coffee, lunch, etc. I agree with you that the situation totally sucks as the shad will be here and gone again in just a few weeks. There's always next year though.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Well guys i received a reply to my email to Dr Strang and really really wish i could post it on this site.The word bizarre is a understatement Its starts out You Do not need Special permission or exception to travel in NS for necessary reasons.And it goes on to say whats necessary for one person may not for another or family. Ps When I go down I go over to the park and have a BBQ lunch myself Drive thru for coffee an bathroom in the bushes. No contact with other. If I was selling darts it was from 8ft away ,they were told pick it up buy it and they left the cash on the cover of case. I would then after they left pick up cash shut the case put the cash in pack and clean my hands. Playing it smart and safe. Hope fully it opens up at the end of the month the fish can still be eaten and My freezer has a plan for 10 of them.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Here's my tale of my attempt to find some Shad in the Kencook River, Some 10 years ago two marine biologist had hooked a good # of Shad in the Kencook river. I had been helping them out and they told me were. So today with my shad Kit hit the river first just above the tidal zone in all the fast water and pools. Look like two salmon par were chasing my dart there Red with White body(old School) . No luck so headed up to the two river convergence. Above in the huge slow moving and deep pools, I kept getting lite hits, then I seen what it was dang 10in trout. What a bummer. Hit 7 or 8 more spots and headed home. :( . Will push my limit of home area next week and head to the Shad pools upriver. Ps the spot were I Was was devoid of any human activity all spring, down at the tidal someone else had the same idea :eek: NNNNNEEEEEED to catch a Shad :D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Tried another river system that has the remnant Shad They call it the little Salmon river which runs into St Croix at the low tide mark. I jumped into the river(Waders) about a mile from the saltwater high mark. What a beautiful river, crystal clear, gravel bottom all the way down and not a single fish or minnow.It runs along a gypsum cliff at the bottom.When i got to the bottom were it runs into the St Croix two sea trout were jumping then in the shallows down river i see a pressure wave in front of a school of fish, I cast the red and white dart into them bump bump no hits then they swam by Gaby A big school :eek: Checked Brooklyn on the way home same thing there by the bridge no big boys yet :(

41 - 60 of 98 Posts