Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just think 3 months and will be back at it again
Looking at my darts tonight and the pictures from years past. Good times, good friends and lots of fish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am from Ontario but visit Nova Scotia often-I see by your post that Shad are in the rivers March, and from what I read, until June-I will be in Beaver River(North of Yarmouth) in August and would be into travelling to north of Digby to try for them if it isnot too late in the summer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm not from round the Yarmouth area so I'm not sure about the fishing there. I have fished shad in the Annapolis river and I believe they run from late May til the end of June or so. Usually with the best runs lasting maybe only a few weeks then the fishing slows a bit.

August I think might be a bit late for shad. Smallmouth are great that time of year, and I'm sure you could find some pickerel in the area quite easily as well. May be able to find a place to fish for some stripers.

I'm sure you'll find something to catch while your here. The mackerel will probably be running round that time in the salt water and they are a blast to catch. Find a wharf or breakwater and give that a try I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I live in the yarmouth area

Shad I go to middleton

there are atrippers in the sissboo river near weymouth but very few,

trout are limited I go to the valley and truro area for them

smallies perch and pickies are in pretty much every brook river and lake down here throw your line in and you'll get one or the other look in your handbook when you get your licence there are several trophy and high harvest areas listed.

We have some stocked lakes down here but never had much luck in them mostly the brookies end up as feed for the bass and pickies unfortunately. But if you are a multi species fisher like myself and willing to drive around a bit you'll have no trouble getting your fix
. Oh ya I forgot lots of macs all summer and usually some bluefish for a few weeks around aug. Shad are done like hardcore said in june.

And he have a sharkfest in Yarmouth and a tuna derby in wedgeport every year: not just fishing. a whole weekend event with entertainment good food and beer tents.

hope this helps

girlfisher

·
Banned
585 Posts
Good call jollymore! I was looking at the pics from years gone by as well and waiting for the snow to pass. Soon. Perhaps this year they will open the dams and there will be water to fish in this time around! Might be interesting to see what the run is like this year. Not sure if the impact will be felt this year or in the future, or if there is any change in the population. I know that there was not the run up the Nictaux like years gone by, in places there was only a couple inches of sun warmed, barely moving water.... time will tell.

Can't wait to get out and see Middleton again this year.
Took some beautiful pictures last year.

Trav

·
Registered
158 Posts
Middleton is a nice town, especially in June when the apple blossoms are blooming and the shad are running
. I haven't fished there in years and am hoping to get out this year for the run...good times for sure.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Travis last year the Nixtau run was early in May scored dozens fishing up from the point, Massive shoals of fish up there, fear not with all this snow holding equals lots of water in late spring hmmmmmmmmmmmm lots of Shad

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are any off the Shad fishers going to the greet @ meet. Ifn you are and want I,ll bring my bigger Shad kit and show you what I call the Deadly Dozen.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd be interested for sure, Anything named the Deadly Dozen has to be good lol
. Unfortunately I can't make the meet and greet this year. I'm sure it is gonna be a great time for sure and would love to come out, but just can't make it out this year. oh well theres always next year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in the yarmouth area

Shad I go to middleton

there are atrippers in the sissboo river near weymouth but very few,

trout are limited I go to the valley and truro area for them

smallies perch and pickies are in pretty much every brook river and lake down here throw your line in and you'll get one or the other look in your handbook when you get your licence there are several trophy and high harvest areas listed.

We have some stocked lakes down here but never had much luck in them mostly the brookies end up as feed for the bass and pickies unfortunately. But if you are a multi species fisher like myself and willing to drive around a bit you'll have no trouble getting your fix
. Oh ya I forgot lots of macs all summer and usually some bluefish for a few weeks around aug. Shad are done like hardcore said in june.

And he have a sharkfest in Yarmouth and a tuna derby in wedgeport every year: not just fishing. a whole weekend event with entertainment good food and beer tents.

hope this helps

girlfisher
What's the sharkfest like.Can you pay to get on a charter or do they catch from the wharf.Do they fish for the bluefish from the wharf or do you need to be in boat as well

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi Jollymore,

I fish shad in the 9 mile. I would LOVE to see the deadly dozen.

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi girlfisher,

DO you really get bluefish down there for a couple of weeks? Every year? I would most definitely make a special trip to have a go at it over a long weekend if you can steer me in the right direction. I will be at Perry's on the 26th, I hope to meet you there.

James

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just thinking tonight 2 months from this SAT weather permitting, Middleton 5:30am Coffee the SHADDDDDDDDD
Will be starting my darts sometime next week!I'll have to go thru my 2 fishing albums first for some great memories of good times and all the great company and fun we had down there.Think I'll call a couple of the fishing friends from down there tommorrow.Make some plans and see how things shape up

1 - 20 of 207 Posts