Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to buy Senko Worms in N.S? The only place I know is on-line from the U.S. And what colors have you had luck with?
Thanks.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Welcome to the site, but as a side note we have a longtime contributor that goes by Woolybugger, maybe a name change to avoid confusion
I know I was surprised when he asked about senkos.

Cheers
Greg

·
Registered
806 Posts
where you are it would probably be tough to find them. however in the southern part of the province, they can be found almost anywhere.evrywhere from fishin'fever in the HRM to veinotte's gone fishin' in bridgewater, pretty much any home hardware in southern N.S., yarmouth area i don't know about. there is a very strong bass angling community there so i'm sure that you'd find them just about anywhere there also.don't rule out the ''cheaper''versions like the dinger, stick-o , etc.they also come in a variety of sizes, both of thickness , and length.heck , i've even got some shaped as lizards!
have fun!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ive gotten these at Canadian Tire - My link

They are not senko brand but definetly work well. I have used these for bass many times at multiple lakes. I find the olive and pumpkinish colors seem to work the best for me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great baits for sure, One of my favorites for Bass and picks. The Yamamoto baits are awesome but may be a little tough to find, they are also a bit pricey considering how quick they get chewed up. I'm not sure where in your neck of the woods but I have bought them in Bridgewater, and Mcpherson's in Liverpool.

Baby bass in the 4'' size is one of my favorites. I have caught some really nice small mouth, in the 3-4 lb range on these.

Like mentioned, knock offs can be very effective also. The slurpies by Northland, like mentioned aren't bad.

I however, have had great luck in the past with the Wave Worm Tiki sticks. I have seen them pretty much everywhere from little tackle shops, to Walmart, and Cnd. Tire. So you should be able to find them quite easily. They kind of smell like licorice, but the fish must like it

The 4'' version is my personal preference, I haven't tried many colors from these guys, as they have quite a few colors to choose from, but I've had good luck with the pearl, and smoke with red flake(my favorite for sure if you ca find it).

I bought junebug also but haven't really had as much success on that color, as the other 2.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

The Wilson's gas station in Fall River carries Senkos [in the summer]. Don't know if any other Wilson's does.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
433 Posts
Have seen them at Strickly Fishin in Yarmouth, Lequille General Store near Annapolis, and Fishing Fever in Halifax... they were hugely popular a few years back and most bassers still carry them or at least a similar bait.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know where to buy Senko Worms in N.S? The only place I know is on-line from the U.S. And what colors have you had luck with?
Thanks.
Thanks to everyone who responded. Next question..... which way do you find best to fish the Senkos and knock offs and what time of year do you find most productive for them?
Thanks again,
Bryce

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have had most success late spring early summer, but summer and fall they work well too. I like to rig them on either a small weedless worm hook (the ones with the wire guard that goes over the hook point). stick the hook just through the head and close the weed guard. or hook it the middle of the bait to wacky rig it. also quite effective.

The senko is really a " do nothing" bait. just throw the bait out let it fall to the bottom (this is where it works it's magic as it quivers and falls like an injured minnow).

Watch your line for a pick up of the bait...either it will stop falling, or move from one side or start moving out etc. If you see you line move tighten up and set the hook.

Otherwise once the bait reaches bottom or falls to the depth you want, lift your tip and let the bait fall and watch you line again. Repeat til you are done your retrive.

Simple but they catch fish. You can also twitch them, kinda like a jerk bait to give a more erratic action that works also at times for more aggressive fish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Like hardcore angler said it is a simple lure to use yet usually produces fish. I also put mine on a weedless hook. I do not however directly put the senko onto the hook. I use a small black rubber washer that hold the senko in place on the hook. I seen this on a fishing show one day and it really prolongs the life of these softbaits.

·
Banned
767 Posts
I, too, use O-rings with Senkos and other 'wacky' rigged plastics. I use barbless circle hooks with all natural and artificial baits. Also, by putting the hook under the o-ring and through the bait i find bass are less likely to fling your bait to the four winds during the fight.
You have to use a tight o-ring, though. Some people stretch a small o-ring over a hollow tube, such as the cover on some ball-point pens, then partly insert the senko into the tube, then roll the o-ring off the tube and onto the bait. Once on, you can roll the ring to wherever you want. Just FYI.

I usually use this with drop-shot rigs and/or fishing under a float, including slip floats, which are handy for shore fishing.

I have heard of people fly fishing with small senkos, but haven't tried it myself.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
228 Posts
Weightless, Texas rig on a 3/0 wide gap, off-shank hook. Works like magic pretty much every time, but it's especially deadly in the spring. For wacky rig, I use something like this, as Chuck mentioned: O-ring tool

·
Registered
64 Posts
I picked up some senkos in sackville last night, 3 colors, white,purple,and green. 10 bucks per. I've never tried them, can't wait.
E Bay has lots of all kinds of Senkos for about $10.00 per bag of 50 .
Awsome deals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Right on. I like Senkos too, I use pretty much just one color of them which is watermelon candy, however I this summer I found I caught alot more big fish on the Berkley heavy Sink worm with a clam shot up the line.. great bait on third lake

·
Registered
23 Posts
I buy mine at canadian tire our if you are close to Lequilles country store in Annipolis you could probable get them there. Also Venniotes Gone Fishing has ALOT of senkos. He also carrys alot of other Gary Yamomoto baits. I find that you have to pick the time or day, what colour the bottem of the lake is, how dark the water is, and how much wind you have all plays a factor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts