Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all;

Shienar today pointed out to me that the regs vis a vis smelt fishing on Grand Lake have changed, sometime in the past few years. At one time they simply stated that wrt "Grand Lake, Hfx. cnty." that the land-locked smelt in that lake could be fished "April 1 to June 15 for dip-netting, except closed Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays." The Angler's Handbook" also mentioned a bag limit of 24 fish per day. At that time [about 6-8 years ago?] NSDNR declared that certain lakes were open to ice fishing, but Grand Lake was not one of those listed. Since people were ice-fishing smelt on Grand Lake, and had been doing it for years, I started phoning and e-mailing CDFO and NSDNR about it [and managed to get into trouble with some members on this site]. I was told by DNR that it was strictly a DFO matter, and DFO told me that they just let people do it because they'd always done it.

However, a recent [I don't know how recent.] addition to the handbook [p.9, "Other Angling Seasons" says "SMELT--Tidal waters open Aug.1 to May 31, [i.e., closed June1 to July 31]. Grand Lake, Halifax County, open Jan.1 to Sept.30. This in addition to the old reg mentioned above.

This has to be a DFO reg, and not a NSDNR reg, since NSDNR still does not name Grand Lake among those it lists as open to ice-fishing, and as emphasized in the Anglers Handbook, p.55, DFO has sole responsibility for regs governing "sea-going" Atlantic salmon, striped bass, eel, shad, sturgeon, gaspereau, Atlantic Whitefish, and smelt. [They don't mention white perch, but maybe they should as white perch inhabit both marine and freshwater environments, and may move back and forth between them. When I called the head guy at DFO about this, years back, he had no idea that white perch could marine, land-locked, or in between. Way to go, DFO]. And what about sea-run trout? Are they DFO responsibility, or DNR's?

But I digress. My point here is that DFO supposedly only has jurisdiction over "sea-going" fish. Not land-locked fish. That is, no jurisdiction over land-locked salmon, smelt, or any other land-locked fish. So they should not have jurisdiction over the land-locked variety of smelt found in such lakes as Charles, William, and Grand, just as they do not have jurisdiction over land-locked salmon in that lake or any other. The regs for land-locked smelt should be determined by DNR, not DFO. IMHO

In addition, look at the dog's breakfast of 'seasons' now governing smelt. It's ridiculous.

I believe that CDFO should have no say wrt land-locked species in N.S. waters. It should be a strictly NSDNR responsibility. Also, I would like to see the handbook divided into tan NSDNR section for land-locked and 'freshwater only' fish, with a second section for CDFO ocean-going catadromous and anadromous species, such as eels, Atlantic salmon, sea-trout, stripers, shad, gaspereau, etc., etc. The agency with the responsibility for applicable conservation laws, including those governing bag limits and open seasons, can take the blame when they screw up, with no pointing fingers at the other guy.

Either that or completely divide power and responsibility at the tide line.
BTW, how many people can eat 24 smelt a day, pretty much all year round?

Just something to think about.

Cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
203 Posts
"However, a recent [I don't know how recent.] addition to the handbook [p.9, "Other Angling Seasons" says "SMELT--Tidal waters open Aug.1 to May 31, [i.e., closed June1 to July 31]. Grand Lake, Halifax County, open Jan.1 to Sept.30. This in addition to the old reg mentioned above."
I can you I was in the 2008 Anglers handbook and not in the 2006 handbook...can't seem to find my 2007 handbook.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi all;

But I digress. My point here is that DFO supposedly only has jurisdiction over "sea-going" fish. Not land-locked fish. That is, no jurisdiction over land-locked salmon, smelt, or any other land-locked fish.
Cheers,

chuck
Actually Chuck DFO has jurisdiction over all fisheries. NS Fisheries get their authority from DFO.
Have a nice day
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts