Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the New Brunswick forum one person said, "I wouldn't eat sculpin if you put it in a red dress, high heels, lipstick and called it Edna!" Others said they loved it. What does NS think? What is the best way to prepare them?

·
Banned
613 Posts
On the New Brunswick forum one person said, "I wouldn't eat sculpin if you put it in a red dress, high heels, lipstick and called it Edna!" Others said they loved it. What does NS think? What is the best way to prepare them?
I have talked to a few of the "LOCALS" about them, and everyone tells me the same thing......................"They aren't fit to eat" LOL

Now, I do agree that they are an ugly looking fish, but it is like the old saying goes, "You don't judge a book by it's cover"!! I have caught a few of them, and they were great eating. They were much better eating than the worm laden cod that I caught in the same area!!!!! There is not much meat on them if you fillet them, but if you catch a few of them, it will make a meal.

BTW, they count as part of your groundfish limit!!!

http://www.fishaq.gov.nl.ca/research_development/fdp/sculpin_longandshort.pdf

·
Banned
767 Posts
As for eating, forget it. Much better fish in the sea.

But I wonder--everywhere else I've fished in fresh water there were sculpins of some kind, although different from marine sculpins in size, colour, etc.

But I've never seen a fresh water sculpin in N.S. Do we have them, somewhere?

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
288 Posts
Where my father comes from in Croatia...there is a very similar fish. They call it Scarpina. I have had many occasions to eat it and it is mostly prepared in a broth and eaten like a soup...then you spend the next 12 hours picking the bones and eating the meat...12 hours is an exaggeration, but it is very bony, but tasty IMHO! Only caught one or two here and threw them back.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Caught many of them and let them go as a kid,never ate one but am always open to new things.Last weekend at a mens wildlife feast there was coyote and seal flippers on the menu!The rule there if it walks, crawls, swims,flies we eat it.Every dish I tried was well prepared and very
tasty

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
SJ, Is that the first time you've eaten dog?? How was it?? Regards....

·
1,353 Posts
I've eaten Crow but doubt I'd eat a Sculpin.
Paul it's obvious you don't know Edna!!

Reactions: pmorris
1 - 12 of 12 Posts