Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Admin
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Was out surf fishing near Lunenburg with a couple other members (you know who you are), and was digging in the sand when I saw what I thought was a small sandworm. I pulled and pulled and this is what came out! The strangest part is that little piece at the bottom end was actually another thin worm the same length as the big one. The small one eventually came out and both were wiggling around. Is this a sandworm that was reproducing? The other sandworms I have seen almost had tentacles all down the sides of them. This one looked more like an earth worm. Any ideas? BTW, both worms were at least 2 feet in length!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Blood worm.
A carnivore that one,no good.
The small ones are used and sold as baitapprox.12c a worm.
Need a licience to dig if selling,not sure if your aloud to many for self use.
They have teeth(4),shoots out and can peirce your skin..hurts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you watch the show "Dirty Jobs",had him out in the flats digging a few.
He also let one bite him....

Yarmouth and the Valley they dig for them,maybe elsewhere here I'm not to sure.

·
Registered
879 Posts
That is quite a specimen. I think someone told me last year you need a permit for your own use too, that is seperate from the commercial one.

Greg.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Dave,
Quite a few guys used to travel from Yarmouth to dig them on the flats near Blomidon. They take them to Yarmouth where they sell them to the buyers who, in turn, sell them to dealers in the Boston area where there are a lot of fishermen who use them as bait ("the best bait") for stripers. until they got it sorted out, there was more than one bloody nose the result of scraps between the "locals" & the Yarmouth boys. (There is very good money to be made at this.) Regards.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts