Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a long winter but the fishing season is now here. During this time I have been re-fitting my kayak, an Ocean Kayak Prowler, with an anchor trolley and fish finder. I will be mostly using it in the salt going after stripers, mackerel, flounder etc. I was wondering if anyone else does this as most seem to only use their yaks on lakes

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been hitting mostly lakes so far this year, but have been out in the ocean a few times. Still a bit early it seems for any good salt fishing, but I'm definitely looking forward to the summer for that. I picked up an OK Prowler big game this spring and have been rigging it out over the last few months. We should have a thread to share rigging ideas in this subforum I think. I have been enjoying the ocean kayak a lot more than my touring kayak for fishing, although it takes a lot longer to paddle anywhere. I'd love to hear about kayak fishing in the minas basin, but I've always been hesitant to paddle there with the tides.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been hitting mostly lakes so far this year, but have been out in the ocean a few times. Still a bit early it seems for any good salt fishing, but I'm definitely looking forward to the summer for that. I picked up an OK Prowler big game this spring and have been rigging it out over the last few months. We should have a thread to share rigging ideas in this subforum I think. I have been enjoying the ocean kayak a lot more than my touring kayak for fishing, although it takes a lot longer to paddle anywhere. I'd love to hear about kayak fishing in the minas basin, but I've always been hesitant to paddle there with the tides.
Hi captain plastic, I also have a ok prowler big game and love its capabilitys as a fishing kayak, extremely stable, loads of storage and easy to paddle. As for fishing the basin i stay very close to shore out of the tide runs. I am also going to try the crystel crescent area, the waters a bit colder but not quite so strong tides to deal with. We should organise a trip out soon. I live near Windsor but will travel anywhere to catch fish.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi captain plastic, I also have a ok prowler big game and love its capabilitys as a fishing kayak, extremely stable, loads of storage and easy to paddle. As for fishing the basin i stay very close to shore out of the tide runs. I am also going to try the crystel crescent area, the waters a bit colder but not quite so strong tides to deal with. We should organise a trip out soon. I live near Windsor but will travel anywhere to catch fish.
Let me know when you hit Crystal Crescent as I'd love to try there as well, I'm just a few bays down from there in Prospect. I am planning a trip up to the valley this June to try the Basin, I have some land in mount denson where I camp sometimes that's right on the shore, not sure if the stripers bite around there but am anxious to find out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you mean the Crystal Crescent near Sambro I live 5 minutes from there, you should let me know if/when you plan on going and maybe I can get my canoe in the water haha

Same goes to you captain plastic.

·
Registered
296 Posts
a look at this kayak on you tube..I want one

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anyone wants to try a kayak before buying one let me know, the new breed of fishing kayak are incredible fishing tools and once you have tried one you'll wonder how you ever did without one. I have an Ocean Kayak prowler fully rigged for fishing so if you want to try it out just let me know. We should organise a try out session with a variety of different craft, anybody?

·
Registered
296 Posts
If anyone wants to try a kayak before buying one let me know, the new breed of fishing kayak are incredible fishing tools and once you have tried one you'll wonder how you ever did without one. I have an Ocean Kayak prowler fully rigged for fishing so if you want to try it out just let me know. We should organise a try out session with a variety of different craft, anybody?
I would like to try the prowler actually, I'm a big fella but looking at the specs of max weight of 550lb Ive got no worries,thats the 15' trident model.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Its been a long winter but the fishing season is now here. During this time I have been re-fitting my kayak, an Ocean Kayak Prowler, with an anchor trolley and fish finder. I will be mostly using it in the salt going after stripers, mackerel, flounder etc. I was wondering if anyone else does this as most seem to only use their yaks on lakes
Hey paul,

How did you rig your prowler with the fish finder? Did you use the scupper hole transducer mount or go through the hull? I'm about to put a humminbird 160 in this week and am trying to figure out the best plan of attack.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Captain, I used the thru' hull method as I didn't have the right transducer to use trhe scupper, works well but you do lose the water temp feature. I also decided that the area that Ocean Kayak made for the finder was too far from where you sit so I have mounted mine just behind the cup holder, this way I can adjust and read it without getting out of the seat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Captain, I used the thru' hull method as I didn't have the right transducer to use trhe scupper, works well but you do lose the water temp feature. I also decided that the area that Ocean Kayak made for the finder was too far from where you sit so I have mounted mine just behind the cup holder, this way I can adjust and read it without getting out of the seat.
Just mounted mine this weekend and its working great. I have bad eyes but I managed to mount it where they have the humminbird logo and it seems to work well for me. I cut a small foam brick and marine gooped it inside the hull just under the battery compartment, then cut a tight hole for the transdcer. Just dump a little splash of water from my water bottle into the hole before launching and drop the transducer in. Only thing that is mounted permanently is the stand for the screen, but I'm thinking about putting holes in the for cabling, right now I just have them running into the bow hatch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im in for fishing the bay of Fundy!! I have a hobie revolution my rig is super basic but I like it that way. especially for the salt. I have no idea really where abouts to go. I have been thinking about heading towards the Walton area. Also across near Economy. Has anyone fished out in these areas? What should I expect for fishing?
If anyone wants to tag team any spots close or not so close to the valley then let me know

Jeff

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live fairly near Walton, you do need to be wary the closer to Maitland you go, the tides are fierce, we have the largest tide in the world here in the Minus Basin, 57ft. I am going to give the Summerville area a go this weekend if you fancy it. Where in the valley do you live?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I live fairly near Walton, you do need to be wary the closer to Maitland you go, the tides are fierce, we have the largest tide in the world here in the Minus Basin, 57ft. I am going to give the Summerville area a go this weekend if you fancy it. Where in the valley do you live?
I've been thinking of hitting the basin/avon recently in the yak as well, and the tides might make it difficult. Not so much from a safety stand point but I'm wondering how productive you can be drifting that quickly. Maybe we just need to strap on 5 or 10 drift socks each and drift our way from the guzzle in to windsor then back out.

Paul if you are planning on taking the yak out from summerville this weekend let me know when, I've got a place just across the avon from there in Mt Denson and would love to meet up out on the water if I can manage it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been thinking of hitting the basin/avon recently in the yak as well, and the tides might make it difficult. Not so much from a safety stand point but I'm wondering how productive you can be drifting that quickly. Maybe we just need to strap on 5 or 10 drift socks each and drift our way from the guzzle in to windsor then back out.

Paul if you are planning on taking the yak out from summerville this weekend let me know when, I've got a place just across the avon from there in Mt Denson and would love to meet up out on the water if I can manage it.
If I have my kayak here by then I would love to make it out
Just waiting
for the moving truck

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll happily launch on the Hansport side, maybe Blue Beach? I don't fancy paddling across the Avon on a flooding tide first time out, need to test the water so to speak and gradually learn how strong the tide really is. Some nice Stripers are being caught in the area so its definately worth a go

1 - 18 of 18 Posts