Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've never fished salt water and was looking for some gear, tackle and method advice. I'm going up to Jeddore soon and want to know what to bring. Mainly off the dock fishing was the plan but might take the kayak out if it gets better results. Oh and I'm not looking for any species in particular.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If it were me, I would go to a CTC, WalMart, or Fishing Fever, purchase an inexpensive Rod & reel Combo such as the Shimano FX,AX or IX series in 2500 to 4000 sizes. With 6 1/2-7 1/2', med action, 2 pc rods. The reason being that the exterior of the reels are made out of graphite composite which does not corrode in saltwater.The rods are Graphite composite as wellquite durable as well but they do not stand up well to screen doors, ceiling fans, car doors, or cases of beer dropped on the tips. (If you take some care in rinsing the reels off after a SW outing, they should last for many years. If you do not rinse them,- not so long. If salt water gets at the internal bearings, corrosion occurs.) The rods are a good all round choice and with a 20 lb Power Pro braid or Fireline (not affected by U/V rays) you should have lots of fun with Mackeral, Pollack, Stripers and groundfish. I have taken blue shark up to about 100 lb on 10 lb braid with similar tackle in open water. If you get tired with fishing the salt,this gear can also be used in fresh water for Bass & Pickerel. Bear in mind that you can spend an outrageous amount on salt water gear but, this would be my choice in the first instance. Regards,...

Reactions: Shimanoman

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with Shimanoman, pick up an inexpensive kit. Rinse your reels with warm water and soap after using in saltwater environment. I use a Daiwa Sweepfire reel and a Shimano rod as SM descirbed for fishing mackerel and it works great. You can pick up the Sweepfire reels on Ebay for about $15-20 and I believe there are rods at Wal-Mart for around $10-13.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wallet wouldn't be able to handle a new setup for salt water at the moment I was hoping Ide be able to use my southbend rod and wash it and my spinner reel off afterwards. I've already got a 20' test line that I picked up last week but was dumbfounded when I tried to pick out some bait and lures. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I would purchase at least one Sabiki rig (around $6.00 each) at Hi Liner(Bayers Lake) and Fishing Fever Agricola St. I might cut the rig in half and have 2 rigs with 2 or 3 hooks each. I would also purchase a couple of sinkers in the 1/2 - 1 oz range which I could decorate with reflective tape. I would tie or fasten the weights to the lower end of my rig and I would then proceed to flail the waters to a froth. If you didn't get a mackeral, there arn't any to be had. There is an awful lot of bait around in the Hfx Harbour (haven't seen any Mackerel in the ocean, yet) but they can't be far from Hfx. Good Luck, Regards......

Reactions: Shimanoman

·
Banned
613 Posts
I would purchase at least one Sabiki rig (around $6.00 each) at Hi Liner(Bayers Lake) and Fishing Fever Agricola St. I might cut the rig in half and have 2 rigs with 2 or 3 hooks each. I would also purchase a couple of sinkers in the 1/2 - 1 oz range which I could decorate with reflective tape. I would tie or fasten the weights to the lower end of my rig and I would then proceed to flail the waters to a froth. If you didn't get a mackeral, there arn't any to be had. There is an awful lot of bait around in the Hfx Harbour (haven't seen any Mackerel in the ocean, yet) but they can't be far from Hfx. Good Luck, Regards......
$6.00 each for a sabiki rig is way over priced!!!!

You can buy them on Ebay for about a buck each!!!

I buy 99% of my tackle on Ebay for much less $$$ than at any local retailer!!!

http://shop.ebay.ca/...-All-Categories

·
Registered
203 Posts
Xlobsterman,

I hear ya on pricing. I purchase a lot of things via FleaBay myself, however if he's only buying one sabiki rig then he might as well pick it up locally. One "no name" sabiki rig via Ebay will end up costing $7US plus "potentially" paying customs. One isn't usually hit for customs fees on such small items so usually what you pay on EBay is the final price... but not always.

The problem with FleaBay is that you can't actually see the product and have no guarantee of the workmanship/quality. That said, with fishing rigs you usually can't go wrong. Also, if you want to fish NOW or this weekend then forget it as it usually takes 4-6 weeks for the gear to arrive from Asia.

If the original poster has an eye to the future or just plain looking to buy several rigs then yes, EBay is a great option. Just not for the patient!

J

PS: I've purchased several spinning reels via Ebay and saved a lot of $. Best time to buy is BEFORE the fishing season as it makes the wait that much tolerable.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Xlobsterman,

I hear ya on pricing. I purchase a lot of things via FleaBay myself, however if he's only buying one sabiki rig then he might as well pick it up locally. One "no name" sabiki rig via Ebay will end up costing $7US plus "potentially" paying customs. One isn't usually hit for customs fees on such small items so usually what you pay on EBay is the final price... but not always.

The problem with FleaBay is that you can't actually see the product and have no guarantee of the workmanship/quality. That said, with fishing rigs you usually can't go wrong. Also, if you want to fish NOW or this weekend then forget it as it usually takes 4-6 weeks for the gear to arrive from Asia.

If the original poster has an eye to the future or just plain looking to buy several rigs then yes, EBay is a great option. Just not for the patient!

J

PS: I've purchased several spinning reels via Ebay and saved a lot of $. Best time to buy is BEFORE the fishing season as it makes the wait that much tolerable.
Shopping on Ebay is just like shopping at any brick & morter retail outlet! You must do your research first, then shop for the best price. You must plan your buying to get the best price on your purchases, and to make sure you have what you need, when you need it!!!!

IMO, going mackerel fishing with one sabikiki rig is not good planning! These things can get tangled real quick, and I have found it is much easier to just replace the tangled rig with a new one, instead of trying to waste time untangling the rig when the fish are biting!!!!

X

·
Registered
203 Posts
Shopping on Ebay is just like shopping at any brick & morter retail outlet! You must do your research first, then shop for the best price. You must plan your buying to get the best price on your purchases, and to make sure you have what you need, when you need it!!!!

IMO, going mackerel fishing with one sabikiki rig is not good planning! These things can get tangled real quick, and I have found it is much easier to just replace the tangled rig with a new one, instead of trying to waste time untangling the rig when the fish are biting!!!!

X
Only thing is that brick and mortar stores have products on demand (usually) and EBay is a waiting game. I'm with you though, in that I plan my Ebay purchases as well to arrive well before I need them. Funny as this very thing happened to me the other day when I was fishing in St. M's Bay. Tide was high and water rough so the rig got tangled in fish and seaweed so I just used another as to not waste time. I also take a number of rigs with me, however I've also seen "green horns" take one... lol.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
A_Fishy_Seven indicated that money is an issue with him. He indicated he is going to Jeddore "soon". He also states that he is a neophyte when it comes to fishing the salt. My advice, including that of cutting a Sabiki rig in half was designed to make it as easy as possible for him to do as he asked with a minimum investment of time and money (1hr and perhaps $10.) Personally, I believe in supporting local business. They will, I'm sure help a novice who is horny to go fishing with free,and friendly advice at the time and point of sale. (Something you will not find at WalMart, CTC, or Ebay!!!) I know for certain that both local retailers I mentioned pay well above what "X" quoted and put a fair mark up on the product which I am happy to pay. After our saltwater novice has reached the status, expertise, and knowledge of "X", I'm sure will be, on his own,trolling the net for bargains during off season when he can afford both the time and the money. I understand he wants to get his angling fix "now",or as soon as possible. Not in 2 or three weeks . Good luck,AF7. Regards.....

·
Banned
613 Posts
A_Fishy_Seven indicated that money is an issue with him. He indicated he is going to Jeddore "soon". He also states that he is a neophyte when it comes to fishing the salt. My advice, including that of cutting a Sabiki rig in half was designed to make it as easy as possible for him to do as he asked with a minimum investment of time and money (1hr and perhaps $10.) Personally, I believe in supporting local business. They will, I'm sure help a novice who is horny to go fishing with free,and friendly advice at the time and point of sale. (Something you will not find at WalMart, CTC, or Ebay!!!) I know for certain that both local retailers I mentioned pay well above what "X" quoted and put a fair mark up on the product which I am happy to pay. After our saltwater novice has reached the status, expertise, and knowledge of "X", I'm sure will be, on his own,trolling the net for bargains during off season when he can afford both the time and the money. I understand he wants to get his angling fix "now",or as soon as possible. Not in 2 or three weeks . Good luck,AF7. Regards.....
Well Shimanaodude,
I am all for supporting local business, and keeping my $$$ in the Nova Scotia economy!!!! But, unfortunately I have found that alot of retailers in NS are not compeditivly priced on the same, or very similar items. I also live in a rural area, and I am an hour and a half drive from Dartmouth/Halifax and I have found that shopping online is a much better choice for me. I can buy things MUCH CHEAPER online, and have it shipped to my door for much less than it would take for me to drive into Halifax or Dartmouth!!!! It is a win-win situation for me to shop online, I save time, fuel, and lots of $$$ just by clicking my mouse. Online shopping is the wave of the future, and some local retailers realize this, and have set-up their own online stores and have capitalized on the growing market of online shopping.

Anyhow, it works for me, and I realize it may not work for everyone else. But we all have a choice!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts