Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I and another couple have rented a cottage in the Chester NS area for the month of May.I have never fished Salt water and would like to give it a go while I'm there. I'd really appreciate some advice on what shore fishing I might try. Any species is fine especially if it goes well in pot or pan! Just want to spend time near the water and wet a line! What gear,bait,lures would be needed.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers
Don in Alberta

·
Registered
587 Posts
My wife and I and another couple have rented a cottage in the Chester NS area for the month of May.I have never fished Salt water and would like to give it a go while I'm there. I'd really appreciate some advice on what shore fishing I might try. Any species is fine especially if it goes well in pot or pan! Just want to spend time near the water and wet a line! What gear,bait,lures would be needed.
Any advice would be great.
Cheers
Don in Alberta
Hi Don
I live near Chester and know the area well.
A little early for Mackerel but maybe at the last end.
The best bet would be go out Blandforth right to the end and fish from the shore there. I would use a bait cast rod with mackerel for bait. Herring is ok also. You could stop at Deep Cove. You might catch near anything or prehaps nothing! The wharf at Western Shore also is not bad but May is early but I knew a fellow who used to get flounders from the there in May.
Don't forget to take a trip to Tancook. Take your rod along - locals might know whats happening fish wise.
Scobey at the Gold River Meat Market would come up with something for bait and at least be pleasant at the same time. Good info also. He could tell you what is happening.
I'll be away for the first 2 weeks of May but after that would be glad to help also.
Have a nice stay
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Don
I live near Chester and know the area well.
A little early for Mackerel but maybe at the last end.
The best bet would be go out Blandforth right to the end and fish from the shore there. I would use a bait cast rod with mackerel for bait. Herring is ok also. You could stop at Deep Cove. You might catch near anything or prehaps nothing! The wharf at Western Shore also is not bad but May is early but I knew a fellow who used to get flounders from the there in May.
Don't forget to take a trip to Tancook. Take your rod along - locals might know whats happening fish wise.
Scobey at the Gold River Meat Market would come up with something for bait and at least be pleasant at the same time. Good info also. He could tell you what is happening.
I'll be away for the first 2 weeks of May but after that would be glad to help also.
Have a nice stay
Paul
Paul
Thank you very much. We've been pouring over Google maps trying to find the exact place we're staying relative to those you describe. It appears we're across the point from deep cove on the Hubbards side. Be glad to meet you when we're there.

Cheers
Don

·
Banned
767 Posts
Paul
Thank you very much. We've been pouring over Google maps trying to find the exact place we're staying relative to those you describe. It appears we're across the point from deep cove on the Hubbards side. Be glad to meet you when we're there.

Cheers
Don
Hi;

Sounds like you'll be near the Fox Point wharf. Lots of people fish off it every summer, especially when mackeral are running. To early for mackeral, but maybe flounder or something?!? When I was young you could catch all kinds of ground fish off of it, but today....?

Good Luck,

chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts