Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
wonder what the outcome of this willl be?

·
Registered
26 Posts
They won't give up until they win there rights which this is all about not the salmon but there rights.I did'nt buy a salmon licences last year but i did this year but if this keeps up i won't buy won ever again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The most damage that is done to these fish are when they are fishing in the spring in these rivers with worms getting the hook deep down in side do you here about there concerns then not one bit lol at this.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I think the aboriginal position is laudable and asking DFO to close fishing on these waters as per the scientific advice of the conservation group, is reasonable. You just can't suck and blow at the same time. (I suspect that DFO would be quite happy if there were NO salmon left in our rivers. Just one less headache for them.) I hate to sound cynical. Unfortunately, it may be that the damage is done by the time we get a decision. Despite that,I hope they win the fight. Slinky, I have no idea what "rights" you are talking about. I believe they are asking for a total ban on angling (everyone native, and non native alike.)for the betterment of the fishery. How can you argue against that??? Regards.......

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If, as you say, the closure is not a closure which would actually benefit the fishery as a whole, then perhaps DFO's position ought to be to shut down fishing COMPLETELY on the watercourses in question.(what a pity that personal agendas and egos could not be removed from arguements about sportfishing)_ Perhaps a judge could be persuaded that all species should get a rest and neither party would "win". The beneficiary, in the end, would only be the rivers and their piscatorial progeny. Just Sayin'.... Regards.........

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Shimanoman and All
Re closing a river completely you say "The beneficiary, in the end, would only be the rivers and their piscatorial progeny. Just Sayin'...". You forgot to mention the poachers. Areas of the Lahave that the gear regulations say "artificial fly only" is being fished with hardware of all sorts by anglers fishing Bass, presumably. Seen it myself in broad daylight. Try releasing a salmon with a treble hook in its head.
As soon as legal fishing activities are closed on a river, the river guardians, the anglers disappear and its a free for all. But as the old saying goes "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions"
Have a nice day
Paul

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
mushamush - You're right, I didn't mention the poachers. I didn't realize there were that many and they were that brazen. You do make a good point, as does bugman. It was naive, and silly of me to be so short-sighted. Regards....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts