Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salmon rivers with low returns
Do you think salmon rivers with low returns should be fly only?
absolutely1168.75%
no, not fair to spinfishers targeting trout318.75%
fly or single hook lure; no scented baits212.50%

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Taggart
The answer to this question depends on the words "Poor" or "Low"!
If there is only a couple of maybe salmon in the river in a year - thats poor so prehaps its best not to do anything. If the trout fishing is poor also the chances of one being caught are remote because few anglers will go there to fish.
It the numbers is just below spawning requirements, prehaps fly only is the answer.
The question points out the need for a good knowledge of the number of salmon in the rivers with low runs. Nobody seems to know at the present - so salmon are being caught in unexpected places! Smolt counts also kelt counts could provide a lot of info. They would need be done April or May and would provide a chance for fisheries people to use local volunteers.
A complicated question you ask.
Have a good summer
Paul

·
1,353 Posts
I am like Paul complicated question and not simple to answer for me. If you asked the question and it was Rivers with good runs my answer would be Absolutely fly fishing only. A river by home has a small run and never really had a big run so was never shedualed. I would not be so sure to limit to fly fishing only on this river. The lure and bait fishermen would have a greater negetive impact on a good river than a poor...........imo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose it is a complicated question I ask. I think if something is done while there are still a few salmon left they might be able to make a comeback but if we wait till they are all gone there wont be any chance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Salmon will not come back until the Seal population is controlled and the rest of the Commercial fisheries is gone. The Sports fisherman had very very little if anything to do with the declined in the Salmon population. This is just my opinion.

Tightlines; Wayne

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont think seals are the problem, seals and salmon have coexisted with balance years befor our time. To say seals target salmon and trout and that they are hurting the population is speculation at best, sure they feed on them, but they are opportunistic feeders, they feed on herring, alewifes, small stripers ,etc... The real problem is People throwing everything out of balance, as long as there is poching, development and clear cutting around cold water springs and head waters,From what ive read over the years, trout and salmon go as far as they can go to spawn, places probably where you would never think of. If there is no trees around these cold water streams then they begin to warm, fill with silt due to rain runoff, causing the bigger rivers to warm up and fill with silt, this "silt" fills the gravel wich trout and salmon need to spawn sucessfully.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Upstream you really got look at the facts, there are millions of seals out there now and reproducing every day. They are no longer hunting them to any extent and are band from export.The government is soon going to step in and have a special cull on Sable Island, that is how bad and close the problem is.

Oh you forgot the Codfish!!! Set the alarm clock!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am not a seals best friend but to blame fish stocks on hungry seals may be a stretch. The factors for fish stock levels are many to say the least. Many years of over fishing and environmental change would appear to be leading causes. With out sounding like a tree hugger, we can do far more for the Salmon by doing our part help the environment. I do not oppose a seal hunt but I do not expect see any more salmon because of one.

·
Banned
585 Posts
A consideration that has been bouncing around in my head (about predidation) is the fact that as the water warms there are more sharks around, is it possible that sharks are eating salmon?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts