Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a new/used salmon reel for my new 10 foot 7wt rod ,looking for suggestions; this will be my first year going salmon fishing on purpose, going to try and get out 5 times this season so some options on the proper reel would be great. Not looking for cheap ,but don't want to spend a lot of money for a non day to day reel.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are a few reels that are good and dont cost alot of money. A few that come to mind are Lamson Konic,Orvis Battenkill and Sage 1600 and 1800 series.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I second the suggestion for the Lamson Konic. I've got the 3.5 on my 9' 8wt St. Croix and it would stop a freight train. Good luck with salar.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Konic seems to be reel I'm leaning towards.
Take'em, did you get yours in Halifax or ordered it? You heading to Mooseland on the first?

Thanks,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Id go with an okuma helios if ya want to stay around $200. They have a large arbor and a super smooth drag. I have on for my 5 wt and one for my 6 wt. Ive beat them up pretty good and they still works like new. Water doesnt seem to affect the drag at all. Plenty of room for backing and line. Thay also have a nice finish.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'll second the Okuma Helious for sure. Absolutely love my 8/9wt! Not a real fancy piece but they have an excellent drag and they are great in salt water. Great for Stripers and Salmon.

But, I also agree with keeping that Hardy!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, You have given me lots to think about. the 150 will hold enough line and backing just wasn't sure on the drag,but as I said, it is only going to be used hopefully at least 5 time this season. I have deleted the sale post till i make up my mind.

·
1,353 Posts
The Hardy Vicount 150 has a different drag system than other Hardy's. It is a circle inside the reel that applies pressure to the triangle pawl.It can strech and the knob doesn't seem to improve the pressure. Take the pressure completely off and leave it off until you use. If that doesn't help see Eric Bayless and get a new pressure ring. One heck of a lot of salmon were brought to hand with that model.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Do as Perry says and keep the Hardy. I have an Okuma SLV reel and although it works just fine, [no complaints the one season I've had it], I wish I had an Okuma Helios, or better yet, a classic Hardy like yours.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just had a look at the post. Alot of people for the Hardy...I hate to squeeze into the thread, but, I have two viscount 140's...They seem to be able to hold enough line, but I want to make sure before I go out to the Margaree...Any thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts