Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my salmon license yesterday and there are some major changes. Areas 20, 21, and 22 have no season and the few rivers on the mainland that will have a season dont open till sept. 1st. We here in Cape Breton can still chase them starting June 1st on three rivers.
Most people say last year was a really bad season, I guess DFO thought so too.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Very unfortunate indeed. However they keep them open for others species (ie-sea runs)

·
Banned
585 Posts
Yes, this year there is no catch and release salmon fishing on the LaHave River, which you mentioned in one of your zone references. There were just over 200 salmon returning to the river that were counted. No one really thought a number like that should sustain any fishing this year. Perhaps next year will be a different story, but time will tell. Of course the river is still open to trout and other species, provided you fish along with the restrictions in place (flyfishing only and bait prohibited in certain spots).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesnt make much sense to close them to salmon and not trout. People will just say they are fishing trout but actually target salmon.
Another thing that dont make sense is how you cant use live bait but can use power bait of scented worms. I have seen quite a few salmon gut hooked on powerbait this season. What is the difference between powerbait or live bait. They both have the same effect, they guthook the fish. I think that any salmon river should be flyfishing only or at the very least single hook lure. There should be no use of any bait allowed. Just my two cents

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I agree with Taggart that there ought to be a moratorium on all angling for at least one season followed by a regulatory change which would proscribe the use of single hooks and single hooked lures when the river was again opened to angling. Regards....

·
Registered
227 Posts
It doesnt make much sense to close them to salmon and not trout. People will just say they are fishing trout but actually target salmon.
Another thing that dont make sense is how you cant use live bait but can use power bait of scented worms. I have seen quite a few salmon gut hooked on powerbait this season. What is the difference between powerbait or live bait. They both have the same effect, they guthook the fish. I think that any salmon river should be flyfishing only or at the very least single hook lure. There should be no use of any bait allowed. Just my two cents
i think that power bait is or should be considered natural bait and i always have if you look in your fishing hand book it states "natural bait includes BUT NOT LIMITED TO worms, minnows, corn nibblets, and pork rind.There for any thing that is scented or fish food like should be added to the out dated section of our hand books for respect of the dwindling salmon of nova scotia

·
Registered
136 Posts
To my knowledge i thought that and have been told before from a warden that powerbait/soft plastics with scent falls under natural bait. And as for people fishing for trout but really targeting salmon, technically if you hook a salmon out of season and within closed waters you are to cut your line. I know that sounds stupid for leaving a lure in the fish but I have been told by a few people who work for the DFO that that is what you are to do or face a starting fine of $450+.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You guys are bang on. The river should be ffish or single hook and left open IMHO. Leave some people there to watch over it. Salmon have gone through the counter since late May so I hope we get more rain and fish in this year...fingers crossed

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are bang on. The river should be ffish or single hook and left open IMHO. Leave some people there to watch over it. Salmon have gone through the counter since late May so I hope we get more rain and fish in this year...fingers crossed
Very true, if there were no salmon anglers on the rivers imagine how rampant the poaching would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts