Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just a quick question. I know I always hear you guys talking about Rapala's and I purchased one earlier in the year (an original floating F-11)and have been having alot of fun (and a bit of success) fishing with it. The only thing is im hesitant to throw it right in weeds and stuff for fear it will get tangled and ill lose it. So I purchased these 'Blaze' lures at walmart for 3$ tonight - they look almost like Rapala's - but are alot cheaper. Has anyone tried these lures and had any success?? I wouldnt losing a 3$ lure as much. Just wondered if I may have wasted my money by being a cheapskate? lol

One more totally unrelated question - if you dont wanna use the mackerel feathers for mackerel fishing can you use little spoons to fish them instead??? Just wondering - thanks!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I haven't tried them but they should work, they aren't the light emmiting ones are they, if so they're not legal here. Dollar stores also sell knockoffs that work. And yes small spoons will catch mackerel and pollock.

Greg

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've tried cheap non rapala Ones before and i seem to never get much with em. course it never hurts to try. i haven't tried much though so it could have just been an unlucky day too! i actually just bought a dollar store spinner bait, gonna see if it does anything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Grasshopper,
If you want to throw right into the weeds you should get some soft plastic jerkbaits like the Zoom Super Fluke or similar. You can rig them weedless with a wide gap worm hook. Lot less frustrating than fishing something with trebles in the slop.
Good fishing! Matt

·
Registered
666 Posts
Last year I got back into fishing after quite a stay away from it (I moved back from Labrador and got bored of fishing down here because I had no idea where to go, etc.) So when I had to start from scratch I picked up a few Rapala look alikes from the Dollar Store then went out fishing with a buddy. He had more success than me but I'd say we were at a 3 - 1 ratio on his favour, and that's me using the cheap Rap. After a while I picked up a few different types and started having more success. lol Only thing that drives me nuts about those Dollar Store jobbies is they rust faster, but I also feel less horrible for losing one of those on a rock or something than a full out Rap. And the hooks on a Dollar Store are easy to replace, I bought an assorted treble hook pack at WalMart for a couple bucks and switched some up.

·
Streamside ProStaff
546 Posts
Nothing wrong with the knock offs in my opinion... you use what you can afford and then get proficient with it, build up some confidence. A rapala is a scientifically tested piece of hardware that probably gets more test time than some of the food we consume. It designed to work a specific way, depending on the knot you use to attach it to your line. If you use the Rapala knot for the Rapala lure it will come alive. Lots more action to the bait than a clinch knot or the like. The same could be said about using this knot on knock off lures as well. It should allow a great movement and action to the bait. If you are stead fast in wanting to use the lure in weedy areas you could do a few things... replace the trebles with single hooks or remove the first hook altogether since most strikes will come from the rear of the bait. You shouldn't loose too many fish because of this reduction but you will also make it easier for you to remove the hooks after landing as well. I would also urge you to try using the soft plastics in these situations as they will decrease your stress and increase your catch ratio substantially. Grubs, flukes, lizards... anything in this form should be good in weedy areas and can be run on topwater, subsurface or off the bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts