Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there building a rod or have any tips for wrapping guides. i have already spined and mounted the reel seat,cork grip and fighting butt. the blank is a sage z axis 890-2. also would like to hear what you are building.

cheers
mat

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yes it is i am going to re-wrap my old spinning rod first for practice a little. anxious to get er goin as i cant believe how light the blank is eaen with the grip and reel seat.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Tim pretty much covered it. Elastic string works good to hold them too. Like Tim said, make sure there's no burrs on the guide foot. Do you have a burnisher, definitly makes packing the thread easy. Guide foot adhesive works good for holding them in place as well if you can get some. Guide wraps are petty easy, just do a practice run first.

I don't have anything on the go right now, but will be doing a boo rod once work slows down after the winter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My father makes rods all the time - he found a old big clock and connects the rod to it - also built a bench for it and the rod to rotate on - the clock keeps the rod going in a circle - about 10 RPM - revolutions per minute - he puts all the string on to hold each of the guides - then he applies the glue to the strings - the clock keeps the road turning for an even drying around the entire rod.

Does a great job !!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
10 RPM is good for drying, but if you're going to buy or make a rod dryer I would suggest something around 30rpms. I tried an 11rpm rotisserie motor and found it to slow for applying epoxy. A variable speed drill might work too if you can get it at a low speed, I use one for shaping my cork handles.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the tips everyone once i get a little further ill post some pics maybe some before and after shots

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok just a question about spacing the guides. what do you do when a guide mesurement lands on or too close a ferrule? pretty sure it can be moved but do you compensate for just that guide or the ones before and after?

thanks in advance
mat
p.s. i was using the specs from sage

·
Registered
195 Posts
ok just a question about spacing the guides. what do you do when a guide mesurement lands on or too close a ferrule? pretty sure it can be moved but do you compensate for just that guide or the ones before and after?

thanks in advance
mat
p.s. i was using the specs from sage
I've never had a guide that was too close to a furrele. You could put it on the female end no problem, tape the guides on and do a static test. This is where you put the rod together, run a line through the guides, add a bit of weight to the end of the fly line to flex the rod. Then check for any flat spots in the line, the line should run with the rod. Elastic string to hold the guides works good for doing this. You can google static test and rod building to get more detail.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks wooly static test today adjustments tomorrow let the wrapping begin one last question is there such thing as having a tip top to big the one that came the loop is about 3/16" seems big also what do you guys use for glue for the tip top no further questions and again thanks in advance

mat

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use the furrel cement or tip top glue(same thing I believe), Like tim said it's like a glue stick. I heaten up my bodkin and use it to apply to the inside of the top.

Are you talking about the loop the line goes through, or where the rod tip goes in. They do make Tip tops in a large size ring, which is what I use on my higher weight rods. If it's the part where the rod tip goes in to then definitly make sure you have the right one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use the furrel cement or tip top glue(same thing I believe), Like tim said it's like a glue stick. I heaten up my bodkin and use it to apply to the inside of the top.

Are you talking about the loop the line goes through, or where the rod tip goes in. They do make Tip tops in a large size ring, which is what I use on my higher weight rods. If it's the part where the rod tip goes in to then definitly make sure you have the right one.
yeah where the line goes through. thanks.
all adjustments made static test done looks awesome loaded up not like any other rod i have ever used as all i have used is cheap rods. i even took a minute to give a test cast after verifying that the tape was good all i had was an old reel with 6 wt line and i never shot that much line at once it was awesome might see me up at albro or penhorn in a week or two........... time to wrap. thanks wooly bugger and bugman for your help

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be very careful casting a blank before wrapping the ferrels. It is the thread that gives the ferrels strength so they can split if stressed before they are wrapped.
i knew this as i read it on another site and was very gentil no cracks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Word of caution, building rods can be as addictive as fishing, LOL.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check out Dan Craft, I built one of his blanks last year. A 4 piece 10' 7wt and love it. I'll be using his blanks from now on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys this might be of an unusual question, I will ask here as so many of you are so helpful on here. I'm looking for a fly rod ( or something that will get my 2 year old started ) She can hold my 9' 9wt reddington and make casting motions but becuse she's just under 1/4 of the rod lenght is there anyone that knows of a specailty builder ?? I'd be willing to pay for materials and labour if anyone here willing to give it a shot. I do realize she will not become a master caster with this pole just looking for something .. that will get her started.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Hi guys this might be of an unusual question, I will ask here as so many of you are so helpful on here. I'm looking for a fly rod ( or something that will get my 2 year old started ) She can hold my 9' 9wt reddington and make casting motions but becuse she's just under 1/4 of the rod lenght is there anyone that knows of a specailty builder ?? I'd be willing to pay for materials and labour if anyone here willing to give it a shot. I do realize she will not become a master caster with this pole just looking for something .. that will get her started.
z-g,

Interesting question. I think mcmutt and flyfish (haven't seen him post much lately) have a fair amount of experience with kids and fly fishing and can probably offer some better advice than I can. Hopefully, one or both of them will chime in.

Having said that, my first reaction would be to go for something short and light (say, a 7-foot, 3-weight) and put a heavier line on it (say, 5-weight) because she probably won't be able to cast enough line to load the rod properly if the line weight matches the rod weight. Other than that, I don't think you'd need any customization. For example, I doubt if a grown-up-sized grip would hinder her at all because a kid's less-developed fine motor skills tend to adpt better to bulkier items (e.g., Duplo vs. Lego blocks).

Tight lines,
Paul

P.S.: I'm building an ark and have decided not to bring a pair of chain pickerel or mosquitoes with me.

Reactions: pmorris

·
1,353 Posts
In another life I used to build custom rods and a few were for young anglers. It wasn't hard to do just had to sacrific a 2 piece 6 wt. to do it. You just use the tip section. The handle as was mentioned had to be scaled down for small hands. A two year old is pretty young but an interesting project. Bugman?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts