Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just want people to be aware that according to the fishing license this year river phillip is fly fishing only untill may 15th. im extremley PO'd about this, i was wondering if some1 could tell me the actuall reasoning behind this? obviously it has to do with the salmon... ive never battled a salmon spincasting for longer then 5 minutes, and maybe 1 out of 60 have been hooked deep. id like to see an "artificial fly" fisherman do that, im sure they do as much if not more damage. anyways i dont wanna start a debate about that i just want some answers and i cant wait to call dnr 2morrow!

·
Registered
50 Posts
River Phillip does not have a spring salmon fishery. Anyone, even fly fishermen who target salmon are breaking the law.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey guys i just want people to be aware that according to the fishing license this year river phillip is fly fishing only untill may 15th. im extremley PO'd about this, i was wondering if some1 could tell me the actuall reasoning behind this? obviously it has to do with the salmon... ive never battled a salmon spincasting for longer then 5 minutes, and maybe 1 out of 60 have been hooked deep. id like to see an "artificial fly" fisherman do that, im sure they do as much if not more damage. anyways i dont wanna start a debate about that i just want some answers and i cant wait to call dnr 2morrow!
There are no salmon in the river at in the spring. They probably just did that to protect the river a little more because they know less people will fish it if it's fly only. maybe you should take on fly fishing. It's much more fun. Also, i know for a fact that spincasting causes more damage on a fish that fly fishing because I do both and I get to see both worlds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are no salmon in the river at in the spring. They probably just did that to protect the river a little more because they know less people will fish it if it's fly only. maybe you should take on fly fishing. It's much more fun. Also, i know for a fact that spincasting causes more damage on a fish that fly fishing because I do both and I get to see both worlds.
"no salmon in the river in the spring" ???? don't know what river you are talking about but the River Philip is full of spring salmon and I got trashed bad by the salmon fishermen last year for asking the same question ,unless it has changed it is artificial bait only ,not fly only ,which is what all the spring "I'm not fishing for salmon" fishermen use anyway ,so the bait fishermen who rarely catch a salmon are the only ones suffering

·
Registered
182 Posts
River Phillip does not have a spring salmon fishery. Anyone, even fly fishermen who target salmon are breaking the law.
Wrong

There are a number of guys who have salmon licence to fish for salmon starting April 1st on the Phillip this year .

And I like the new rule change as it allows all species of sport fish to get out without people sitting there with warms on the bottom of the water waiting for the fish to swallow the hook . And salmon are feeding on smelts like crazy and a rapala , or any other trebled hook lure could be their certain death by having their jaw locked shut as they break someone off . You are allowed to fish the phillip further up river . Plus if you already caught 60 salmon on lures while fishing this system for trout only adds reasoning behind the shut down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wrong

There are a number of guys who have salmon licence to fish for salmon starting April 1st on the Phillip this year .
They would have a special licence allowing them to target salmon with the intent to help DFO gather data on salmon. There is still no legal spring salmon fishery and anyone who targets salmon, other than the few who have a special permit, are breaking the law.

·
Registered
182 Posts
They would have a special licence allowing them to target salmon with the intent to help DFO gather data on salmon. There is still no legal spring salmon fishery and anyone who targets salmon, other than the few who have a special permit, are breaking the law.
And the Natives are allowed as well .

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Wrong

And I like the new rule change as it allows all species of sport fish to get out without people sitting there with warms on the bottom of the water waiting for the fish to swallow the hook . And salmon are feeding on smelts like crazy and a rapala , or any other trebled hook lure could be their certain death by having their jaw locked shut as they break someone off . You are allowed to fish the phillip further up river . Plus if you already caught 60 salmon on lures while fishing this system for trout only adds reasoning behind the shut down.
so you won't be using worms or live minnows this year at all for browns or speckies or cast masters? new resolution?

And I guess you no longer will be using husky jerks for browns in the spring where a salmon may end up as a by catch?Guess you have new spring practices..... finally tied some dark montreals eh? well good for you

oh I forgot you never would do something that could accidently hurt a salmon like say.... specifically tie on a new fly with hands trembling cause you saw a salmon rise/roll out of season while you were trouting.... and never intentionally targeted said salmon. Guess I got the story wrong...oh wait no it is in print b/c you posted it on here a ways back and I think I recall a fly fisher called you out for being out of season. hmm interresting how things change

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
he (BK) is fully aware of this as he knows ppl who in particular have this priviledge but has difficulty understanding things put in general terms and likes to be smart and contrary

later on he'll post explaining the difference and how he knows said ppl cause he is in the know, and to show us all how much smarter he is,... b/c he is that predictable
and how we didn't say there was a special project fishery therefore we are wrong in the original post by saying anyone fishing for salmon, fly or not, would be doing so illegally

hope this saved you some time BK

cheers GF

ps next time you post pls spell out that when you say noone you mean anyone in the general public without a special licence or native b/c this is what he focuses on and will make it easier for him to understand and save alot of time and foolishness

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi all,
Fresh19's statement is correct. The new reg is that from Mountain Road Bridge (Spencers Bridge) downstream the season is artificial fly fishing only from April 15 to May 14. Also, as mentioned by some, the salmon season in the River Phillip is from Sept 1 to Oct 31, so there is no "spring season".
Of course, natives and DFO or Inland have other "special permits" for certain specific circumstances.
Bill

·
Registered
182 Posts
so you won't be using worms or live minnows this year at all for browns or speckies or cast masters? new resolution?

And I guess you no longer will be using husky jerks for browns in the spring where a salmon may end up as a by catch?Guess you have new spring practices..... finally tied some dark montreals eh? well good for you

oh I forgot you never would do something that could accidently hurt a salmon like say.... specifically tie on a new fly with hands trembling cause you saw a salmon rise/roll out of season while you were trouting.... and never intentionally targeted said salmon. Guess I got the story wrong...oh wait no it is in print b/c you posted it on here a ways back and I think I recall a fly fisher called you out for being out of season. hmm interresting how things change
Its funny how some people learn from their mistakes and others can't . If you have nothing to say on these regulations why bother wasting peoples time . I thought I taught you better than that .

G

·
" 1 out of 60 have been hooked deep". Well my guess at why they made this change is to keep people like you from fishing it and catching salmon in such numbers. And trust me, I used to bait fish before I switched to fly fishing, and I hooked WAY more fish deep than fly fishing. I think it's great there is no bait fishing, Salmon need all the help they can get with all the stuff happening to them these days.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Its funny how some people learn from their mistakes and others can't . If you have nothing to say on these regulations why bother wasting peoples time . I thought I taught you better than that .
you have taught me alot less than you thought showing me a few spots aint much, and making promises of getting into an abundant of fish and not coming thru shows mw how little you know...oh yeah you were saving the good spots
learned alot more on my own amd from others than I ever did from you although Im know this is hard for you to except being the "king" you think you are.

So I just smile and nod when the less intelligent are speaking otherwise it would be rude

take your own advice if you have nothing more productive to do superduperflyguy go play some where else and by the way sarcasim is the lowest form of humor not the smartest as you would like to belive, it is quick wit for dim wits. you will only post here to contradict others even if you agreed with them just to create hostility not gealthy educational debate.... small minds man

And quite honestly I wouldn't be suprised that the orig poster wasn't one of your possy and the two of you are playing back and forth...gee I wonder who kongfolincoln was? Like I said will never grow up ....have a good life... juevinile and self rightoues is my take on things but what do I know? guess you will have to teach me that too

the only ppl wasting ppl time here is you and you know it and you are right I did take a long time to learn what you were really all abt and I am done wth second chances. fishing is what made you feel superior and special and now that others are educated on the same topic and learning moree and more itimtimidates you in my lowly opinion which I am sure doesn't mean much seening how you respect very few ppl

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sorry for the hijacking thats going on above feesh .

But down the road you will see that this is a good rule for the river . They would of used artifical lure , but the treble hook is the killer on the majority of the usergroups gear . Most rivers on the North Shore have ceased all fishing till the 15th of May . So the River Phillip is the place to go with a fly rod if you are interested as most of the other major trout rivers on this shore closed out to evryone till May 15th . I don't know for sure on if you can fish the tributaries prior to the gear restriction season or not . As I only ever fished the Phillip 2 times in my life .

But to be herd you should attend your local RRFAC meetings in the spring and in the fall . Calling DNR/DFO or any officer will go in one ear out the other . At least at the meetings it gets written down in the minutes .

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Sorry for the hijacking thats going on above feesh .

But down the road you will see that this is a good rule for the river . They would of used artifical lure , but the treble hook is the killer on the majority of the usergroups gear . Most rivers on the North Shore have ceased all fishing till the 15th of May . So the River Phillip is the place to go with a fly rod if you are interested as most of the other major trout rivers on this shore closed out to evryone till May 15th . I don't know for sure on if you can fish the tributaries prior to the gear restriction season or not . As I only ever fished the Phillip 2 times in my life .

But to be herd you should attend your local RRFAC meetings in the spring and in the fall . Calling DNR/DFO or any officer will go in one ear out the other . At least at the meetings it gets written down in the minutes .
noticed you aren't denying the salmon story maybe "lure cchuckers" aren't the only ones who should stay off the river eh?
But thanks for educating us all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the 60 salmon were over the last 3 years, and i was going for browns! they got rid of live bait two years ago which forced us to use spoons, i never the once hooked a salmon fishing bottom with worm. it just sucks that ive floated down that entire riv er and know every hole and now i cant fish it. there are some lunker brown trout in there! guess its trollin the wallace river this year. be nice to have some kinda of special status to fish anytime anywhere wouldnt it?? lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
" 1 out of 60 have been hooked deep". Well my guess at why they made this change is to keep people like you from fishing it and catching salmon in such numbers. And trust me, I used to bait fish before I switched to fly fishing, and I hooked WAY more fish deep th fly fishing. I think it's great there is no bait fishing, Salmon need all the help they can get with all the stuff happening to them these days.
poeple like me eh, i never the once hooked a salmon while fishing bottom with worm, they took that away 2 yars goin on 3 this fall, i pinch my barbs, i target trout because there are unreal brown trout which follow smelts up the river. honestly though i stood on the kerrs mills bridge this fall and watch a few guys fly fish and it took buddy 20 minutes to land a 2 lber, tell me that wasnt **** up 100 yards down the way. anyways i just wanted to know why they changed it, jst disapointed ive put so much time into learning the entire river and im not a fan of fly fishing so i feel like im getting shafted. ohh well couple boat beers and trollin the wallace river this spring sounds good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
poeple like me eh, i never the once hooked a salmon while fishing bottom with worm, they took that away 2 yars goin on 3 this fall, i pinch my barbs, i target trout because there are unreal brown trout which follow smelts up the river. honestly though i stood on the kerrs mills bridge this fall and watch a few guys fly fish and it took buddy 20 minutes to land a 2 lber, tell me that wasnt **** up 100 yards down the way. anyways i just wanted to know why they changed it, jst disapointed ive put so much time into learning the entire river and im not a fan of fly fishing so i feel like im getting shafted. ohh well couple boat beers and trollin the wallace river this spring sounds good.
you will do really good on the Wallace Feesh ( Probably better then the Phillip ). I hear your frustration about 4 years ago I would have backed you up , but we see guys fishing the Waughs with warms all the time and they are gut hooking the kelts . A 2lb fish would have been a grilse .... so did he keep it ? . Plus you only have to wait a extra month and you are allowed back on the river so all is not lost . Good Luck and I hope you get into some feesh .

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the thing to remember here is protecting the fish populations. As mentioned earlier it's pretty safe bet that more people spin fish than fly fish therefore there is less pressure on the river for a whole extra month. In my mind this can only be good for the fish in the river, bigger and better #'s. Ether take up fly fishing or wait the month, ether way let's hope for better fishing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts