Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking stopping by the River Philip this year cause I'm traveling to Moncton for work. I've never actually fished the river before, anyone have any suggestions on where to start and/or what flies to try?

·
Banned
585 Posts
I too am looking to get up to River Phillip on an excursion this year!
Can't wait to explore the water up there.

Trav

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here. I'm shooting for my 1st ever Brown, never really fished for them before not having any rivers with browns all that close to me. Thanks to work for sending me close to a couple of these rivers, how can I not give them a shot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looking for Brown's in River Phillip eh? Well, head to Oxford, and venture out past the highschool, towards Port Howe. There's a spot just outside of town where the river bends right out to the road. There's usually a person or two there, but there's plenty of room to fish. No live bait tho until May 15. I've had all my luck on kamloopers and red devils. Rapalas are always an option too.

Another spot you might want to try is just off the Trans-Canada. About 0.5 km's upriver. Lots of snags around there though.

Good luck!

Crock

·
Registered
32 Posts
river p is fly only for the first month or so of the season as of this year. check the new reg book for exact gear restrictions

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I normally only fly fish for trout any way. Still a few weeks away unless I go upstream from the McDonald Bridge, if I'm reading the regulations right.

·
Registered
182 Posts
its wide open right now.... use whatever you want except live bait until the 15th then after that anything goes...fly only is only for 14 days at the start of april downstream from spencers bridge
This post is wrong . Check your regulations on page 45 in your book . It is fly fishing only till the 15th of May . Read your regulations guys .

·
Registered
182 Posts
its wide open right now.... use whatever you want except live bait until the 15th then after that anything goes...fly only is only for 14 days at the start of april downstream from spencers bridge
You will also find it on page 3

5. River Philip, downstream from the
Mountain Road Bridge (Spencers
Bridge) from April 15 to May 14, is
restricted to artificial fly only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts