Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, my experience at doing these things is nil, what I currently know is from reading, watching youtube videos, and asking Questions.

I took up Kayaking/Kayak fishing this summer. I have several years of experience with Canoes, but have sat in a Kayak a total of 2 times my entire life before buying my current rig. I decided I wanted something for myself, and didnt want to go high end until i was sure i liked it..so far.. so good.

I purchased a Pelican 100 Angler Kayak from Canadian tire (on sale earlier this summer)

here it is:

I also purchased a basic paddle from Canadian tire, and a pfd, nothing special, or post worthy.
I am shorter, and have a verticle paddling habit, so i have shortend my Paddle considerably. as for the lenght, im not too sure, I cut it enough for it to feel comfortable.

I did some digging (tyvm to all that helped here) for a fish finder, and some other rigging.
my first modification was my Fish finder. here is what i did:

First off, I went to Pricess Auto, as well as Canadian tire, and picked up some goodies:

18 Guage Wireing

Marine Goop (this stuff is awesome)

some butt connectors (dunno if thats how its spelt or not)
Rivet gun (previously didnt have)
electical tape

on a trip to Maine, I picked up my Fish Finder, and some other Accessories
fish finder

Paddle Clips

and some Deck rigging (Bungie cords, hooks, eyelets) which, I didnt take photos of

the first thing i did is glue my Transducer to Hull of my Kayak in the stern

let that dry overnight.
In the stern of this boat there is a covered compartment, however its not 100% waterproof, i am using this for my battery compartment, and drilled a hole for the wireing:
I will be waterproofing this obviously.

I set up where i wanted the wireing to go, before i did anything drastic.

to be continued...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I know some transducers will not work unless they are wet or use petroleum gelly,is this not the case with this one?I am in Bangor right now, heading to Dicks sporting goods tommorow ..anyone need anything

·
Registered
749 Posts
I know some transducers will not work unless they are wet or use petroleum gelly,is this not the case with this one?I am in Bangor right now, heading to Dicks sporting goods tommorow ..anyone need anything
its in the Marine goop, which from what ive read will work too.
to be honest, i havent used it yet, i will be this weekend

(had car trouble, we were in the market for a new one, and got it today, which will be a part of this post
)

gonna post pt 2 in a little while.

·
Registered
749 Posts
sooo, after i drilled the hole for the wireing, and strung out how much wire i need, I started to figure out how i was going to mount the Fishfinder to the front of the Kayak

my Kayak came with a rod holder (similar to the Scotty Rod holders) which was pre-installed in the front of the cockpit
a part of it was removable from the older:

I had to cut some of the top off so it fit to the basemount of the fish finder, Which I also had to modify (kinda messy, but works like a charm):

this is what it looks like when put together:

I wanted to find a way that the power cable could fit nicely to the fish finder without me drilling any extra holes in my Kayak, so i actually drilled a hole through the middle of the rod holder mount wide enough for the cable to fit through:

the Kayak came with the flush mount holder/hole..whatever its called, so it all fits on the front quite nicely:

aaaand, this is how im hauling it around:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the same fishfinder, I also used goop to fix the transducer and it works perfectly, the only loss of having it inside the hull is that the temperature reading does not work but thats no loss. We should go fishing sometime, i tried ambro at the weekend, fancy it?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the same fishfinder, I also used goop to fix the transducer and it works perfectly, the only loss of having it inside the hull is that the temperature reading does not work but thats no loss. We should go fishing sometime, i tried ambro at the weekend, fancy it?
That should be Sambro obviously lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
I launched at Pennant, very easy and sheltered and an easy paddle to Martins. I have also launched at Bald Rock, again easy launch and close to Sambro Head. I think I may be working this W/E but as soon as I can I'll be going back so I'll let you know

·
Registered
575 Posts
I launched at Pennant, very easy and sheltered and an easy paddle to Martins. I have also launched at Bald Rock, again easy launch and close to Sambro Head. I think I may be working this W/E but as soon as I can I'll be going back so I'll let you know
Where at in Pennant did you launch?

·
Registered
749 Posts
the next mod i added to my kayak was the paddle clips

had to use my dremel tool to shape the bottoms to be a little more rounded to fit the body of the Kayak, but i like they way they turned out

i drilled out the holes, added marine goop to the bottoms of the clips, as well as the drilled holes, set them inplace with the washer and nuts. let them sit holds the paddle perfectly

next mod will the milk crate on the back to hold my tackle...

need to resize images lol

·
Registered
879 Posts
ouird, how do you find the yak in the water, my daughter uses the same hull in the nonfishing and I can't knock it

Greg

·
Registered
749 Posts
ouird, how do you find the yak in the water, my daughter uses the same hull in the nonfishing and I can't knock it

Greg
thus far i love it. i have had it out about 8 times, and have had no trouble. im a smaller guy 5'2" and a resonable paddler. and have had no control issues. tracks pretty good. this wont be a long term rig for me... maybe this yr and next, then i want to get a higher end rig... looking at an ocean kayak Prowler Trident 13

the items im not happy with is the spray skirt, and the back hatch. i really wish it was waterproof. im trying to find a way for it to be tight given its going to be my battery box.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts