Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got back from checking both stores in Berwick, neither have them or know when they might arrive. I like to have several days to read and absorb all the changes and any new language in the hand book. Will check Greenwood area tomorrow and Vimy Ridge in Aylesford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked one up at the Sports & RV show last weekend!
Wow you must have some pull because I called today to find out when we could expect them at our shop and was told that all shops would have them at the end of the month.They are mailed out to all shops at the same time.

Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last year we recieved ours 3 days before the season opened.Also in the past we would recieve the Angler's Guide around the last week of Feb.and the licenses around the middle of March.
Last season we got them late because of a problem at the printers,at least what I was told.

Ken

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got my book at the show too as they were handing them out there.

Service Nova Scotia does not understand the need for us to buy our license early
they don't rush too much because as they see it we can't fish before April 1.
Go figure. Lol

·
Administrator
913 Posts
I also was able to grab a book at the show this past weekend. Some interesting changes for this upcoming season such as some lakes within the HRM area CLOSED ALL YEAR to smallmouth bass fishing.
One that comes to mind is Lake Mic Mac is an exception and smallmouth fishing is allowed but no mention of Bannook. Does this mean you can't cross under the highway 111 and fish Bannook? Not a huge deal since I tend to catch more smallies on the Mic Mac side as opposed to Bannook anyway.

·
Administrator
913 Posts
I also was able to grab a book at the show this past weekend. Some interesting changes for this upcoming season such as some lakes within the HRM area CLOSED ALL YEAR to smallmouth bass fishing.
One that comes to mind is Lake Mic Mac is an exception and smallmouth fishing is allowed but no mention of Bannook. Does this mean you can't cross under the highway 111 and fish Bannook? Not a huge deal since I tend to catch more smallies on the Mic Mac side as opposed to Bannook anyway.
Also, Red Bridge Pond across the road is a very popular spot for people who fish from shore. My understanding is Red Bridge Pond is also CLOSED ALL YEAR for smallmouth fishing in 2011.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Also, Red Bridge Pond across the road is a very popular spot for people who fish from shore. My understanding is Red Bridge Pond is also CLOSED ALL YEAR for smallmouth fishing in 2011.
are you pulling our leg cb/c we cannot confirm it cause we got no book?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Wow you must have some pull because I called today to find out when we could expect them at our shop and was told that all shops would have them at the end of the month.They are mailed out to all shops at the same time.

Ken
when i asked the folks at the rv show they said they'd be out within 2 weeks, and that they werent for sale yet

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can't understand why they cannot at least put the Handbook on line then everyone would be able to review the changes for the areas they normally fish before the end of the month. I like to use the last several days or march to double check all my gear, and prep my boats not start to review all the changes. It was good of them to have copy's available at the RV show but I doubt that less than 10% of the folks who fish in the Province attend this show. Maybe I am just getting old and cranky.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I can't understand why they cannot at least put the Handbook on line then everyone would be able to review the changes for the areas they normally fish before the end of the month. I like to use the last several days or march to double check all my gear, and prep my boats not start to review all the changes. It was good of them to have copy's available at the RV show but I doubt that less than 10% of the folks who fish in the Province attend this show. Maybe I am just getting old and cranky.
I agree 100 %

·
Administrator
913 Posts
are you pulling our leg cb/c we cannot confirm it cause we got no book?
You must have me confused with someone else cuz I have better things to do than "pull your leg"
lol Maybe i am not understanding it fully but here is how it is written on page 25 of this years Anglers' Handbook and 2011 Summary of Regulations....

Smallmouth Bass
Apr.1 to Oct.31 except Special Bass Management Areas and the following:
Halifax County, east of highway 102 and its junction with highway 118 and its junction with highway 111, CLOSED ALL YEAR except the following lakes:Bissett, Charles, Loon, MicMac, Miller, Morris, Porters and Russell.

There appears to no longer be any "high harvest" lakes(ie:Rocky Lake) for Bass like in years past. The way i understand the above info is that a lot of lakes in the Dartmouth area especially are closed all year to fishing for smallmouth. I am curious as to why this was implemented. Wont affect me much with fishing tournaments because the 3 lakes used for tournaments in this area are listed as exceptions.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Smallmouth Bass
Halifax County, east of highway 102 and its junction with highway 118 and its junction with highway 111, CLOSED ALL YEAR except the following lakes:Bissett, Charles, Loon, MicMac, Miller, Morris, Porters and Russell.

There appears to no longer be any "high harvest" lakes(ie:Rocky Lake) for Bass like in years past. The way i understand the above info is that a lot of lakes in the Dartmouth area especially are closed all year to fishing for smallmouth. I am curious as to why this was implemented.
Interesting. Maybe they're trying to discourage illegal introductions of SMB by making it illegal to fish them if they are introduced, while "carving out" lakes with well-established SMB populations.

Paul

P.S.: I'd have to check a map, but I think Banook is west of the junctions and would therefore be unaffected by this change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked up my book at the show and this is the same with hunting licence. You would think they would have everything out early so people know the rule I guess all that they like is getting your money.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
You must have me confused with someone else cuz I have better things to do than "pull your leg"
lol Maybe i am not understanding it fully but here is how it is written on page 25 of this years Anglers' Handbook and 2011 Summary of Regulations....

Smallmouth Bass

There appears to no longer be any "high harvest" lakes(ie:Rocky Lake) for Bass like in years past. The way i understand the above info is that a lot of lakes in the Dartmouth area especially are closed all year to fishing for smallmouth. I am curious as to why this was implemented. Wont affect me much with fishing tournaments because the 3 lakes used for tournaments in this area are listed as exceptions.
yeah I just couldn't understand why that would be either that is why I thought you were kidding around

cheers

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Interesting. Maybe they're trying to discourage illegal introductions of SMB by making it illegal to fish them if they are introduced, while "carving out" lakes with well-established SMB populations.

Paul

P.S.: I'd have to check a map, but I think Banook is west of the junctions and would therefore be unaffected by this change.
this is my thinking as well
b/c if fishing or tournys are sanctioned on lakes with illegally intro smallies etc it is kinda saying that it is no big deal to move them around .......very interesting anyway.

are the smaalie population farely recent in said lakes?

maybe this is part of the new management strategies

·
Registered
587 Posts
Smallmouth Bass
There appears to no longer be any "high harvest" lakes(ie:Rocky Lake) for Bass like in years past.
Hi FF
On page 3 it says item 7, "High Harvest Regulations for smallmouth bass have been removed from Special Bass Management Areas."
No other explanation - at the RFAC they probably will explain - if prompted!
Have a nice spring
Paul

1 - 20 of 37 Posts