Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Shienar
One change I would like is to open the season year round on the Sherbrooke River from Lake Paul down to Sherbrooke Lake and its tribs. The reason for this is Pickerel. Although not a lot of spots to ice fish, County Line lake is one example - and part is in Area 5.
It would allow fishing on the river on nice days in the winter and would help reduce the pickerel population on the Lahave River. It would also allow some observations on the pickerel population on the river. Maybe the LRSA could do a study on the river during the winter.
Thanks
Paul

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok everyone im looking for a list of lakes with good white or yellow perch populations
to be opened for winter fishing

·
Registered
433 Posts
I know some great white perch and yellow locations in RCF#5 ... gonna write a letter and see what takes place....I agree about Sherbrooke Lake to Lake Paul....County Line would be a good icefishing spot.

·
Registered
806 Posts
sherbroke would be awesome!laker fishin' through the ice, i'd be up for that!are they native to the lake?can't see it , but ya never know!

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know some great white perch and yellow locations in RCF#5 ... gonna write a letter and see what takes place....I agree about Sherbrooke Lake to Lake Paul....County Line would be a good icefishing spot.
hey yakfisher
post them in the rfa 5 topic and ill make sure they hear about them at the spring rfac

im hoping to put together a proposal with a petition to be presented at the spring meetings
the proposal would rep each rfa and the province as whole
and i will send it out to be presented at each separate meeting

i think a province wide voice is sure to be heard

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rees lake perch hiking trail rd
long lake perch old halifax rd
grand lake perch and pickerel grand lake
lake fletchers perch and pickerel fletchers lake
governor lake perch timberlea
banook and micmac perch dartmouth
beaver bank lake perch middle beaver bank

thats what i got for now

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Not sure about the perch in First Lake in Lower Sackville, but it seems to me that it would be a good 'bow lake if they stocked it. Hard to believe they added three lakes in Dartmouth a couple of years ago and not First Lake, which is easily-accessible to both anglers and COs and in a highly-populated area.

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure about the perch in First Lake in Lower Sackville, but it seems to me that it would be a good 'bow lake if they stocked it. Hard to believe they added three lakes in Dartmouth a couple of years ago and not First Lake, which is easily-accessible to both anglers and COs and in a highly-populated area.
im sure someone can confirm the presence of white or yellow perch or both
but even so i believe it has a put and take fishery for brookes
so what not open it for brookies

as long as its kept to stocked lakes and theres no fishing on rivers and streams
what not some winter fishing for brookies

·
Registered
158 Posts
I posted this in the rfa 4 folder previously so sorry for the double post.

Hey Shienar I read your post and am in complete agreement. A province wide voice is exactly what we need and I think your just the man for that.

Here's a list of some lakes and ponds in the area that could benefit from an all year fishery for you as promised. It isn't much but is a start as there are more streams and rivers in this area, than lakes. But hopefully others can get involved as well for the rest of the rfa and province as well.

Bar Pond (Queens Co) Chain Pickerel (Used to be stocked with trout years back, only picks in there now.)

Victoria Lake (Queens Co) Yellow Perch, Possible stocked speckle trout ( Has quite a few yellow perch in there now and some are pretty decent size. It's also stocked each year for a youth fishing derby with specks so it could have a possible winter speckle fishery.)

1st and or 2nd Christopher lakes ( Queens Co) White and Yellow perch possible stocked speckles ( These are a little questionable, but would make a nice all year fishery I think. The lakes do have some alright numbers of decent sized white and yellow perch, but is also a special trout management area, stocking the lakes with trophy speckles and smaller fish, in the spring as a put and take fishery for anglers, and also trying to better the fishery. having a reduced bag limit of 2 for trout.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts