Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey a real newbie question. I damaged a couple hooks on a couple of my rapala's - anyone recommend the best way to get the old trebble hooks off and get a new one on?

Thanks

·
1,353 Posts
The hooks are attached by a split ring. Just take a knife and open the ring and feed the treble thru the ring. Easier to do than explain!!!

·
Banned
767 Posts
One word of caution. Knives sometimes slip and cut fingers. Depending on the size and 'toughness' of the split ring, I have used split-ring pliers [don't like them], wire-cutters, dog-claw clippers, and ordinary nail clippers to open split rings. Or even the point of another hook [also dangerous]. For easy to open [usually copper] rings, just use your thumbnail.

If anyone has a better plan for dealing with those 'impossible to pry open' rings, let's hear it.

cheers,

chuck

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
If anyone has a better plan for dealing with those 'impossible to pry open' rings, let's hear it.
Just tripped across this tip in the June 2009 edition of Bassmaster:

Try using one of those four-pronged staple removers. Also, once you've split the ring open and the old hook is in the opening, slide the new hook on and use it to push the old one around and off. It saves having to reopen the ring to install the new hook.

I never tried this myself, but thought I'd pass the idea along.

Paul

·
Registered
112 Posts
I thought I'd pass this along... I wanted to replace treble hooks on alot of my raps and what not, so I went online to a action site and bought a hundred split rings and a hundred treble hooks. I probably have over three hundred lures as a tackle junkie, LOL. I planned on changing up a lot of my hooks and do a cleaning and maybe some new paint. Now if I could only remember where I put those hooks last summer!

·
Banned
613 Posts
Also, once you've split the ring open and the old hook is in the opening, slide the new hook on and use it to push the old one around and off. It saves having to reopen the ring to install the new hook.

I never tried this myself, but thought I'd pass the idea along.

Paul
I guess you didn't watch the video????? LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts