Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just purchased a Rapala F-5 original floater (cause it was on clearout sale for 6$) are these good for catching bass? Also is there nay other fish they are good for catching?? Thanks!

·
Banned
613 Posts
Hey just purchased a Rapala F-5 original floater (cause it was on clearout sale for 6$) are these good for catching bass? Also is there nay other fish they are good for catching?? Thanks!
IMO, Rapala's will catch just about any fish that swims and eats other fish!!!! I own about 40 or 50 of them in a variety of colors and sizes. I use mine mainly for saltwater fishing , but I do own a few fresh water models.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Cast it along the shore and around cover, if you don't get a strike on touch down let it sit until you can't stand it anymore then give it a twitch, if there's a smallie close by it will get it's attention, if still nothing reel it in and repeat covering as much area as you can.
And it's a good multi species lure

Greg

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have personally taken the following species in Nova Scotia with the original Rapala in various sizes.

Brown Trout
Brook Trout
White Perch
Yellow Perch
Creek Chub
White Sucker "yes" several White Suckers
Smallmouth Bass
Striped Bass
Mackerel

An absolute must for anyone's tackle box. Gulp alive being a close second.

·
Registered
160 Posts
One of the best lures around. Only down fall is it is very light to cast. Awesome for trolling. I caught alot of small mouth on it in different colors too.

·
Registered
806 Posts
last year i bought the cabelas version of this bait. i received them and they were buetiful. i then used them and they worked well. until the lips broke off of them!1 of them only lasted 3 casts , nowhere near anything , just open water. take it from me , but the rapalas!

·
Registered
58 Posts
last year i bought the cabelas version of this bait. i received them and they were buetiful. i then used them and they worked well. until the lips broke off of them!1 of them only lasted 3 casts , nowhere near anything , just open water. take it from me , but the rapalas!
IMO you can't beat a floating rap for everything, Picks, Bass trout, perch and the list goes on, I have had awesome luck with the cabelas brand as well, last year they had a wicked deal on to get them about 1.50 a piece and i got a dozen, and haven't had any troubles with them

·
Registered
806 Posts
IMO you can't beat a floating rap for everything, Picks, Bass trout, perch and the list goes on, I have had awesome luck with the cabelas brand as well, last year they had a wicked deal on to get them about 1.50 a piece and i got a dozen, and haven't had any troubles with them
fortunate for you!they are a sharp looking bait , and did work well. i bought 13 of em, and i stopped tying them on after i broke the fourth or fifth one!i also bought their suspending shad body raps. i think they float faster than an original rapala!lol.not the suspending action that i was anticipating!rofl.i only wish i had only paid the $1.50 that you did!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just picked up an original F11 rainbow pattern as well as an xrap slash bait, same pattern. I am sure they will work for anything swimming. Anyone had exp with that pattern here?

James

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have caught alot of my bass on a rapala floater espectily early in the morning. I also like use the rapala jointed floater but as the day wears on I swich over to a crankbait or a diving bait of some kind. I have trout on them as well in rivers when they are really acivite.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't use the F05 for smallie fishing but its a damn good multi species lure that will catch near everything.... the F05 in particular is one of my favorite brown trout lures... with the trout patterns being my favorites. I do have a few perch colored ones in other sizes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts