Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing some Shad fishing, probably on the Stewiacke. What should I use? Just a regular shad dart? What color(s) do you have luck with?

What tide should I fish? I was there at low tide a couple weeks ago and I could see a fair amount of fish finning but couldn't get any bites (all i had was a 503 super duper gold and a panther martin)

Does it matter where I fish it?

Thanks a lot, and also include any other tips you think may help!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great question! Im just brand new to fishing and have been fishing trout and small mouth bass and having alot of fun. I hear alot of people fishing for shad and wants to give it a try sometime. What do ya do just put the shad dart on your line and cast er? I'll just watch this forum and see what tips I can pick up - any info is a great help.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had luck on white and yellow darts, and bass flukes

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use white,Yellow,orange and even got a few on pink.Cast it out and when bringing it in make a small jigging action.Also make sure you use a line that is not very visible in the water as Shad are Line shy.I heard that you can get Shad on a Panther Martin but haven't tried it myself.If you find yourself using a white and nothing is happening try another color.First thing in the morning seemed to be better,other then that, the Shad seem to go to shader areas.When you hook a Shad they have soft mouths so make sure you don't horse it in or else you won't be bringing him in.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to be up that way today so I might have to try to go for a fish. Will post updates when I'm back tonight!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good luck...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't catch a thing. Saw all kinds but they wouldn't take yellow or white shad darts. Tried almost everything in my tackle box too lol.

I HATE SHAD.

·
Streamside ProStaff
546 Posts
Shad are awesome and one of the scrapiest fights you will get on spinning or fly gear. Colour will change depending on the person fishing, water clarity, blah blah blah... whatever you fish as long as you fish it with confidence you will be successful. I have never had them hit anything but shad darts or light lead heads with micro grubs. If they are finning the surface and aren't spooked completely then have at them with a fly rod. The more subtle approach will allow you to stay in the strike zone far longer and you have way more control over what you are offering them. It is kind of late in the season for Shad but they should still be in the rivers just not in the numbers you would see if you were there in May. Don't give up on these fish because you won't be dissapointed with the results if you put the effort in... before long people will be asking you what the best hints are..lol... you will get it soon enough... good luck.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shad are awesome and one of the scrapiest fights you will get on spinning or fly gear. Colour will change depending on the person fishing, water clarity, blah blah blah... whatever you fish as long as you fish it with confidence you will be successful. I have never had them hit anything but shad darts or light lead heads with micro grubs. If they are finning the surface and aren't spooked completely then have at them with a fly rod. The more subtle approach will allow you to stay in the strike zone far longer and you have way more control over what you are offering them. It is kind of late in the season for Shad but they should still be in the rivers just not in the numbers you would see if you were there in May. Don't give up on these fish because you won't be dissapointed with the results if you put the effort in... before long people will be asking you what the best hints are..lol... you will get it soon enough... good luck.
Thanks for the tips. I might try again sometime on the weekend.. Went up last night and still saw a bunch (not as many) but couldn't catch them at all on a white shad dart. I can see them clear as day and the dart goes right in front of them and they swim away from it. It's frustrating lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I might try again sometime on the weekend.. Went up last night and still saw a bunch (not as many) but couldn't catch them at all on a white shad dart. I can see them clear as day and the dart goes right in front of them and they swim away from it. It's frustrating lol.
I will echo Exsreamfishrrman's comment that they are awesome and you should keep at it, as the payoff is spectacular. Long runs and great leaps into the air; I am reminded of tarpon.

It does seem they can be very very selective about the colour of the dart, and despite much effort to figure it out, I have no idea what colour works when. I find it is good to have a good selection of colours and just keep swapping them out until you get a response. Maybe someone else can provide some wisdom about colour.

By the way, the shad provide great sport but I find the big ones can be quite exhausted by the time they are brought to net, and they need to be revived for as long, or longer, than the time it took to get them in.

Best of luck,
J. B.

·
Streamside ProStaff
546 Posts
You are dead on with the revival rate of the fish. Shad build up lactic acid in their muscles quickly so you should land them as quick as possible so you minimize the effects of the fight. As for colours it truly depends on what you like more than what the fish like. Confidence is what you are using and being consistent with it is key. If anything the size of the dart or weight to be more specific is more important in my mind than is the colour. I like the hot pint colours or the chartreuse colours. I usually add a micro grub trailer in white for using spinning gear and with the fly rod I go with the hot pink with white as well. You will get it so don't give up. If you can see the dart in front of them then it is only a matter of time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts