Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question about DNR conservation officers in Nova Scotia:

Are they allowed to interupt you in the process of fishing to check your license?

I know there's lots of talk about conservation officers not being allowed to interupt you in the process of hunting. I'm told, they can't for example, walk up to your blind/tree stand while you are in it and ask to see your paperwork, although, I believe it's more a safty issue about approaching somebody with a loaded gun more than anything.

Does the same apply to fishing?

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
So if you are in a boat fishing in the middle of a lake and a conservation officer starts to wave to you from the shore, what are you legally required to do?

Mike.
Good question. I always thought that they were "Peace Officers" and that you would be legally obligated to heed their call. There's some information about their authority at this URL.

Shimanoman may have some good insight on this.

Paul

P.S.: I've been "interrupted" by COs two years in a row and the encounters were most pleasant. The officers were very polite and professional and, after checking my license and asking about my catch, were happy to answer my questions and give me some insight on fishing conditions nearby. It was nice to see them out and about and protecting the fishery.

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
494 Posts
I agree, the times they have checked me they were real nice guys. In fact one took off his shoes to wade to where I was to check my license. I told him I would have come to him but he said that if he wanted to check my license he should be the one to make the effort.
I'm always glad to see these guys in the field, hopefully preventing poaching etc.

Tim

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
They are "Peace Officers" and as such, may very well hail you to inspect the safety equipment on your boat and/or your recreational boaters license along with your anglers License as well as your catch. I do not know over what distance that you would be required to obey. (It might just be rendered moot if they had no boat and not much patience.) You best keep your head up the next time you visit if they have recorded your plate # if you didn't answer their hail. They are few and far between and they really ought to be welcomed as your tax dollars in action. They are also "Special Constables" which gives them additional powers under additional statutes. Don't argue with them if they tell you they can do something and you just didn't know they could. That's the way into a whole heap of trouble...BEFORE you get to court. Regards....

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've never had an experiance with them while using a boat back in NS. Out here in Alberta they just waited for us on shore if we were out. I wouldn't have any problem if they were within hollering range. I'd just be happy to see them out there. I was along the shore of the Bras D'or and there was a CO in a boat that came into to shore to check us. Met up with one that was hiking the trails on the North. Most of the guys are pretty good guys. I worked with a CO that was retiered a few years back. Great guy and obtained loads of info from him. As he said, there's a few guys out there that idiots, but the majority of them are pretty good guys and full of great info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I only encountered them once and I would like to echo everyones compliments in saying they were friendly and considerate. I was on a rock in the middle of a river running into a pool and they walked down the other side of the river about half a km to where I was. I went with my friend who is in the RCMP and was visiting from BC so he was not fishing. They just asked if we were both fishing, if I had any luck, and stayed and chatted a few minutes then wished me luck and they went on their way. I passed them on a secondary hwy on the way out and they pulled out and came up behind me and pulled me over. They were very curtious and asked to see my license because he said he didnt want to bother me as I was on the opposite side of the river. He also asked how I made out as I mentioned earlier I was new to fly fishing and we talked for a bit then he said have a good day. Quite impressed. Glad my tax money is going to something good! ha

·
Administrator
913 Posts
Three years ago i was fishing on Panuke Lake and a small zodiac with a 115hp outboard approached me as i was fishing from my bass boat. There were 3 guys in the zodiac, one RCMP, one DNR and one guy from Transport Canada. The RCMP checked for anything illegal such as alcohol, the Transport Canada offical checked all my safety equipment on board of my boat and the DNR guy checked my fishing licence and asked how many fish i had in my possesion. Everyone was polite and it was a friendly encounter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts