Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im looking for some info on fishing the gaspe region. Looking to find out some good rivers and areas to get started hopefully somewheres with light friendly fishing pressure.

·
1,353 Posts
Chris, IMO the Gaspe is a salmon fishers paradise. The rivers are spectular with a good number of fish in water that in some rivers as clear as Gin. The rivers are controlled by Zec Zones and you have to get a permit for the water you fish from the Zec Office for that river. This limits the number of anglers on any given stretch of water. There is a fee for this and it ranges depending upon the pools and river from very reasonable to more than the average angler can afford. Do not let this discourage you. There are draws in the winter for some water and I believe 48hr draws thru the season.
The people are friendly and very helpful and your inability to speak french shouldn't deter you. This has been my experiance and I love the Gaspe, the fishing, the wonderful rivers, and the people.
Do a search on Salmon fishing there and research on regs and how to access the rivers. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey Chris

here are a few sites (in English) that might help you https://www.saumonquebec.com/ and http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/home.jsp this one's for all the regulations that Perry was talking about. When a was living there, i used to go in the valley in Matapedia river, gorgeous spot. And of course you have to go to the Bonaventure river it's just as beautiful as they say. Just keep in mind that the temperature up there is little cooler than here, especially at night, and if you're lucky you'll get to see green northern lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey Chris

here are a few sites (in English) that might help you https://www.saumonquebec.com/ and http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/home.jsp this one's for all the regulations that Perry was talking about. When a was living there, i used to go in the valley in Matapedia river, gorgeous spot. And of course you have to go to the Bonaventure river it's just as beautiful as they say. Just keep in mind that the temperature up there is little cooler than here, especially at night, and if you're lucky you'll get to see green northern lights.
Thanks for the response guys those were the answers I was hoping for im heading up thursday hopefully the water will be at a fishable level. I think il try and enter in one of the 48 hr draws if not I understand there is some public waters there worst comes to worst I think it will still be a great trip il post some pictures when I get back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got back from a couple of days on the York River. Stayed in Gaspe. Excellent time. I was 1 for 2 and rose a bunch of fish. Got mine on a dry fly. Awesome. My buddy was 2 for 4 and he rose, hooked and lost a huge 25-30 lber. Had it on for about 10 minutes.

Limited Water means that there is a draw for the water back in December so most of the pools are already taken however all limited water will have a few pools that are held in reserve and are drawn 48 hours before the day. You have to be there and enter your name into the draw (48 hours in advance). We did and did not get selected. Just to give you an idea the St Jean only allows 8 anglers on the entire river (very hard to get).

Unlimited Water is public Water. If you are used to cycling pools in NS, you will not have an issue there. On one pool you where basically timed. We were on another pool and we let two guys fish through as they were making their way down river. My buddy hooked and landed a fish right after they passed though. They were only 100 yards down river from us.

As for flies, use big flies. My guide was handing me #2 and 1/0 wet flies and #2 bombers.

Just to let you know Tues 22 Jun is the start of the fishery that you can keep you fish. My guide told me it gets real busy and crazy there.

As for where to stay, it all depends on which river you want to go to. There are a ton of great hotels and motels and almost every town has restaurants, grocery stores etc. Did not see a lot of fly shops so you may want to make sure you have everything you need. I ran out of tippet material and some was available at the ZEC office. I stayed in Gaspe. It is a great little town. There is a couple of nice places to eat (did not want to to cook after a day on the river). First light is like at 4am and it is light until about 9pm.

Good Luck

·
1,353 Posts
Well done! Congrats, sounds like a great time!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts