Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured we should have a post for discussing how we have our yaks rigged for fishing. Post pictures of your kayak or canoe and the rigging you use to turn it into a fishing platform.

Ocean Kayak Prowler (Big Game)

Only mods so far are adding a Scotty fly rod holder in the forward position. There are four other rod holders, two PVC in the kayak crate for storage and two flush holders behind the seat for trolling. There is a hatch just in front of the seat which provides access to the dry storage but I think I'm going to cut out the base of the forward utility storage to create an additional hatch for storing rods below deck and away from the salt when making beach launches. Aside from the fact it can be a bit slow to paddle, it is stable enough to sit side-saddle with your feet in the water or stand upright when fly casting on calm water. Hoping to get a fish finder this week, hasn't been particularly necessary on the lakes but once the salt water picks up I don't want to be without.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the mods you guys have made to touring yaks for fishing, saw a few great pics already in the gallery.

·
Registered
296 Posts
nice rig for sure, I just have a 15' canoe right now....I had a Sea Lution II a few years back but it was stolen. I'm thinking I want another yak though as I do most of my fishing by myself and the canoe although plastic is not great in any kind of breeze,the yak for sure is more managable! What is the going price now for a descent yak? I bought mine new with accessories for about a grand...that was 6 years ago now.

just a basic canoe with a portable fish finder

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kayak: Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145
Length: 14.5 feet:
weight: 59 lbs

Gear:
-"Johnny bar" (attaches to foredeck via straps; no drilling holes)
-Berkley rod holder (mounted to Johnny bar)
-fish finder (Fish Eagle 350c Colour sounder; mounted to Johnny bar)
-Grorilla pod (for mounting camera to the Johnny bar)
-Olympus 850sw waterproof/shockproof camera
-Harmony half skirt (keeps me mostly dry but allows easy access to landing net and fish-grip stored in cockpit behind seat.
-Landing net
-Berkely Lip-Grip
-Plano softsider bag (narrow) for gear (narrow bag fits in cockpit between legs)
- Pump, rope, leashes, nav light.
- 2 paddles (always carry a spare when fishing open ocean)
- large mesh dive bag to hold gear (sometimes used to keep fish alive and fresh that are destined for the table)
- PFD

·
Registered
175 Posts
Boreal Design Inukshuk with Scotty mounts fore and aft. Have a PiranhaMax and Digicamcorder I use on this mount as well. To the right is my swamp donkey

·
Registered
44 Posts
Boreal Design Inukshuk with Scotty mounts fore and aft. Have a PiranhaMax and Digicamcorder I use on this mount as well. To the right is my swamp donkey
Alwaysfishin,

That is a great photo. Nice yak. Nice swamp donkey.

Thanks,
J. .B.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Any tips on how to convince the wife?
Get her interested in an expensive hobby and smile sweetly when she brings home expensive toys and supplies for it. It costs twice as much, but it's cheaper than a divorce lawyer.

LOL (almost),
Paul

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thx for the compliments
Also have a Boreal Design Muktuk and 17" Coleman canoe... as for convincing the wife, if it's already in the yard there's little left to convince

·
Registered
749 Posts
So, ive finally joined the Kayak fishing crew.
I purchased my 1st (likely not my last) Kayak last night.

I wasnt willing to go super high end for my first venture into this so i decided to go with:
this Kayak
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/Boats/PRD~0798240P/Pursuit%252B100%252BAngler%252BKayak.jsp?locale=en

It came with an anchor which wasnt advertised, but a nice addition. nice size for me (given im a little vertically challenged) and a reasonable weight for me to get it on and off of my car
(gotta buy a roof rack now)

this paddle:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/PaddlesOars/PRDOVR~0793366P/Kayak%252BPaddle.jsp?locale=en

this pfd:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/LifejacketsPFDs/PRDOVR~0792196P/Roots%252BKayak%252BVest.jsp?locale=en

I had a hard time finding something that fit me given my height. finally tried this one and seems to be fine. i will find out more tomorrow when i take it out for its maiden voyage (pictures to ensue).

per my previous comments, ive yet to buy a roof rack.
i ended up buying a swimming noodle, cutting it in half, and tieing down the yak with that. you wouldnt think, but it worked very well for an inpromtu rig.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
per my previous comments, ive yet to buy a roof rack.
i ended up buying a swimming noodle, cutting it in half, and tieing down the yak with that. you wouldnt think, but it worked very well for an inpromtu rig.
Ive been using the foam temporary racks for a long time now. They work fine as long as you dont mind messing up your car's roof. Of course I'm sure you can do it without scratching the roof with that kayak, but I tend to need to slide mine up due to the size and weight of it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
hey JB where did you get the johnny bar at??

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah i see that.....was looking for someplace to get it local if that was possible

1 - 20 of 20 Posts