Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys;

After seeing the popper posted in the image gallery I have decided Id like to tie on some of these. Ive been tying flys for a few years now but have never attempted a popper(too busy tying differnt trout variations..lol). Was able to get some info off google but have basically two main questions. What type/size of hook should I be using and what is the best material to use for the body? Most articles reference using the foam ear plugs or simply using a rotar to shape a piece of foam. Are these the best ways to do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can get pre made heads or use the ear plugs I'm sure that would work. I make them out of closed cell foam sheets. By either gluing layers of the foam together then shaping it later. or for something a little easier make some crease flies. I find them easier and a lot less work then shaping the bodies and cutting them to fit on the hook shank for poppers.

Or you can spin deer hair and make poppers from that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the best hooks to use r ring eye hooks, i tie mine on mustad 34007, they r stainless steel and real strong, i like a size 2 but u can tie them on any size depending on how big u want the bug. also a mustad 3366 is a nice hook a little wider gap and lighter wire, than the 34007 and not stainless, nice hook and inexpensive. i tie mine with 2 or 3 mm craft foam, it comes in any color u want and is cheap. i also have some foam cylinders that i use sometimes but it is easier to use the sheet foam and cut it to shape. i coat the foam in either epoxy or just sally hansen hard as nails clear nail polish. add your eyes if u want and they will float all day. and they work well

·
Registered
806 Posts
i'm intrigued!!doesn't the polish melt the foam?----by the way freeman , what do you use poppers in nfld for?---oh yeah , i was on the cabelas site last night , and seen the popper hooks on sale!

·
Registered
34 Posts
i'm intrigued!!doesn't the polish melt the foam?----by the way freeman , what do you use poppers in nfld for?---oh yeah , i was on the cabelas site last night , and seen the popper hooks on sale!
i am originally from bridgewater NS so we go to NS every summer and use them for bass and pickerel. Friends and family r quite willing to take any leftovers off my hands after a trip. no, the nail Polish does not melt the foam. it would melt a polystyrene foam like the stuff u use for insulation. craft foam is different not sure on the type but no melting. u don't have to coat the foam it. i use them without anything and they work well. it just adds a nice finishing touch to them, us fly tiers r more picky than any fish wold be. most of the things added to flies r for our eyes then the fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts