Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone who targets pollock like to share his/her thoughts? Last summer I caught a small pollock by accident while gunning for mackerel, and I'd like to give them a more serious attention this year. The stuff that I found on the Internet is mostly about pollock fishing in Britain, which may or may not work here in NS. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
613 Posts
Would anyone who targets pollock like to share his/her thoughts? Last summer I caught a small pollock by accident while gunning for mackerel, and I'd like to give them a more serious attention this year. The stuff that I found on the Internet is mostly about pollock fishing in Britain, which may or may not work here in NS. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
There is not much to say about fishing for Pollack. They can be caught from a wharf or a boat. A feathered Mackerel rig, with a chrome jig on the end will get you all you want. Just remember they count for your daily bag limit for groundfish. And the number you can take is either 5 or 10 depending on what part of the province you live in!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
They aren't fussy, I've caught them on anything and everything. Even on a homemade beer bottle cap lure!

They really like shiny. If you're using a big lure or something, I would wrap the treble with tinfoil. not too much but enough to make it shinier. Also they generally like to hang out around dropoffs, and feed more on the rising tide (but you can get them any time)

·
Registered
228 Posts
My accidental catch was pretty small, about the size of a tinker mackerel. From what I've seen on the net, pollacks get huge in the UK; do we also have big pollacks here in NS?

Also, do they hug the bottom as flounder do, or do they rise to the upper column and even break the surface as mackerel do?

·
Registered
575 Posts
My accidental catch was pretty small, about the size of a tinker mackerel. From what I've seen on the net, pollacks get huge in the UK; do we also have big pollacks here in NS?

Also, do they hug the bottom as flounder do, or do they rise to the upper column and even break the surface as mackerel do?
Average one that I catch would probably be 12-14" and about pound to pound and a quarter. Biggest I've caught was like 18" but other people I know catch them 2ft plus. I've caught them at all different depths, handlining right off bottom, or trolling along at many different depths. In about 20-25ft of water they stay closer to the bottom, like 3/4 of the way down. I just know that from watching them. Not too sure where they'd stay in deeper water.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the most part I think people catch them by accident
I usually snag a couple at the wharf I usually visit every once in a while (usually around 1:8 ratio of polluck to mackarel) and I've never had one over a foot...even when the decent sized mackarel are running. I've never eaten one myself, but I've heard from others that they're bonier than mackarel. Good luck

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've tried eating some that were 14" or so, fried, but didn't like them much.
Once caught and landed they get soft quickly unless put on ice or somewhere cold. The best use for them I found is to salt them down in the round (rounders-newfs will know what I mean) and dry them to use for fish cakes or fish and bruse.

I have caught large pollock about 28" or so while handlining for groundfish off Chebucto Head. We salt them down too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts