Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired some polar bear for fly tieing and was wondering if anyone has successfully dyed any? I have heard it is difficult and I have never had enough polar bear hair to try dyeing.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just acquired some polar bear for fly tieing and was wondering if anyone has successfully dyed any? I have heard it is difficult and I have never had enough polar bear hair to try dyeing.
Bryant Freeman at Escape Anglers in Riverview New Brunswick is an expert on the subject and does a great job on it.
Paul

·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul! I'll contacf him and see what can happen!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks Paul! I'll contacf him and see what can happen!
Perry, it's not overly hard to dye, but really sucks up the dye. If you're home, I'll give you a ring this evening sometime about it. Simple method & simple materials my friend!! You just have to do it right!

·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks McMutt! I was contacted by Mike and he gave me a recipe involving food colouring, vinegar and the microwave. Imade my first try yesterday and the red was pink and the blue was OK. I am going to try again so any help appreciated. I tied a few flies with it and I like it. I was out yesterday and the stripers did as well! lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
I tried that, but the ole pot seems better. Med-lo heat( or you'll cook the hide off the fur) and 6 packs of orange Kool-Aid did a 12sq inch piece. Blue turned out OK, but grape turns out to be lt claret. RIT yellow,scarlet, and others work well too. Dk green turned some deerhair and PB an olive dun color(bad batch maybe?)
Had some family stuff & couldn't get to the phone tonight. Maybe in between stoking the smoker tomorrow i'll get a hold of you (ribs & pulled pork on the go). Jamie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Mutt, have you had any luck with the kool-aid dying? I've tried it before in the microwave and it was really easy but Nelson told me it would fade in the sun? I'm inclined to believe him since most everything else does anyway. Said it doesn't run tho which is good.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have some polar bear here, but I've never even thought of dying it. Does it keep that wonderful translucence when dyed?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've been using polar bear for awhile now. It's great for streamers. I haven't dyed any though, haven't had enough white that I needed to and the cost of dyed hair is the same. I use it on any streamer I can, it works great for mickey finns. Have any of you tried dying it with Veniards.

Coachman, the dyed hair I have did keep it's translucency.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts