Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I want you all to do me and your self a favor get up from your comfy seat go to your wallet get out your fishing licence and write this number on it

1-800-565-2224

the next time you are out and see someone poaching or littering for that matter call! pull out your cell which I know 90% of us have and report it.I don't want to hear "well by the time I got home and got the number they were probably be gone." if we want to save our fish we need to all take acccountabilty, responsibility and take action. Otherwise we can all shut the [email protected]#l up b/c we have no right to complain b/c we are part of the prob.

You are all wondering who pissed in my cornflakes this am? no one I just saw somethings yesturday and realised I wasn't prepard so I could do the right thing, so I went home and put the number on my licence that way it is always handy and If I don't have a phone my buddy prob will.

People who rape "put and take" fisheries will do the same in the woods it is just their mentality.

tight lines and take charge

GF

·
Registered
125 Posts
One thing I've observed lately is people acting as though the legal limit is a combined limit of all people in their fishing group and not an individual limit...Once you've retained your limit, you are not allowed to keep fish on your buddy's license..You're done for the day...Also suspect that I saw fish being stowed away in vehicles so that people could keep fishing beyond their limit...Yes, either of these situations is poaching and should be reported if observed, so make the call...I am a River Watch monitor and I know for fact that DNR will respond when I call and give them my ID # to verify (They can check vehicles)...Put and take is not a free-for-all fishery, as some would like to believe...

·
Registered
84 Posts
While I agree with all the above I believe part of the problem may be ignorance of the winter fishery regulations. I was amazed at the number of people I chatted with at Silver Lake who did not know that the limit was two bows many seemed to think it was 5, and many more seemed unaware that they could not take speckles. While ignorance of the regulations is no excuse, I believe it is part of the problem. If DNR were to post a simple sign on the lakes it stocks with a short recap of limits and types of fish allowed it might just help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ignorance of the regs is a problem, but not one DNR should have to rectify...I believe the onus is on the fishers to familiarize themselves with the rules before heading out...People deliberately hiding fish in their vehicles or buckets and shacks are fully aware what they are doing is wrong...And if we're right there beside them and don't speak up, we're part of the problem as well...Seems as though some people regard the put and take fishery as a situation where they have to catch as many as they can before the "other guys" get them...I have reminded people of the regs in the past, but won't hesitate to make the calls, if necessary...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Good post GF. I have already heard horror stories from Silver Lake. Haven't fished it thru the ice yet..maybe tomorrow. I will definately keeping my eyes peeled for these Neanderthals. Will call..will confront..lol

·
Banned
767 Posts
I suggest that if you've got a phone that takes pictures, you photograph the miscreants before you confront them.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
125 Posts
Actually, the River Watch training teaches how to approach without confronting...Try to open a dialogue and make them aware of the rules and that they are not going unobserved and the possible consequences...I have taken photographic and video footage in the past when I thought it might be necessary...Haven't had to use it yet...Funny how some people straighten out in those situations...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Confrontation does not work for me 5'6" and 66 years old, however a casual conversation while bring up the appropriate regulations has met with some success in the past especially while Striper fishing. Gave up calling DNR many years ago after being told they did not have time to chase down poachers. This was both during fishing and hunting trips.

·
Registered
61 Posts
poachers and litterers watch out for GF when on the river. I agree with you GF i think its nice to see somebody with the nuts to step up and take charge of a rapidly growing problem. Props to ya

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
One thing I've observed lately is people acting as though the legal limit is a combined limit of all people in their fishing group and not an individual limit...Once you've retained your limit, you are not allowed to keep fish on your buddy's license..You're done for the day...Also suspect that I saw fish being stowed away in vehicles so that people could keep fishing beyond their limit...Yes, either of these situations is poaching and should be reported if observed, so make the call...I am a River Watch monitor and I know for fact that DNR will respond when I call and give them my ID # to verify (They can check vehicles)...Put and take is not a free-for-all fishery, as some would like to believe...
stowing in the vehicles is exactly what I am talking abt (they) were back late this afternoon but so far were skunked when I left but if I see ya tomorrow poacher it is on so if you are lurking on here beware.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ignorance of the regs is a problem, but not one DNR should have to rectify...I believe the onus is on the fishers to familiarize themselves with the rules before heading out...People deliberately hiding fish in their vehicles or buckets and shacks are fully aware what they are doing is wrong...And if we're right there beside them and don't speak up, we're part of the problem as well...Seems as though some people regard the put and take fishery as a situation where they have to catch as many as they can before the "other guys" get them...I have reminded people of the regs in the past, but won't hesitate to make the calls, if necessary...
You are exactly right

Ignorance is no excuse and 99 % act stupid but know full well what they are doing is wrong and besides we all recieve a booklet each year with our licence it is your resposibility too read. You can't tell a cop sorry officer I didn't read the book I wasn't aware what that sign meant etc. Rules are rules and they are meant for everyone.But then agn these knobs probably ain't got a gd licence either

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Confrontation does not work for me 5'6" and 66 years old, however a casual conversation while bring up the appropriate regulations has met with some success in the past especially while Striper fishing. Gave up calling DNR many years ago after being told they did not have time to chase down poachers. This was both during fishing and hunting trips.
I can understand being weary of confronting some individuals if you don't use the right verbage it can start a fight but atleast they know they are being watched. And don't worry if they start throwing punches I got your back.

But seriously atleast make a call and let DNR do the confronting

·
Registered
173 Posts
great topic GF.agree 100% writing that # on my lic. now. thanks

Nontypical having a river watch course here in the city in a couple weeks.
cant wait,should be very informative.

and why do they not put that # on your lic. when printing?
cant be cost. it's only a phone #
but it'll be on every lic.every year from now on for me.

Thaanks GF

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
great topic GF.agree 100% writing that # on my lic. now. thanks

Nontypical having a river watch course here in the city in a couple weeks.
cant wait,should be very informative.

and why do they not put that # on your lic. when printing?
cant be cost. it's only a phone #
but it'll be on every lic.every year from now on for me.

Thaanks GF
right on

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have a card given to me by DNR officers helping with the l2f and in the past the number puts you in touch with a 24 hour office who calls the right law inforcement officers.And used it!
PS there seems to be a garabe problem on Meadow,I picked some cups and other garabe up on Sun,also I wish the people using the shack would take there garbage with them. I was happy they used the gabage bag.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts