Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way to go DFO for catching some poachers on Brier Island - about time !!

Article:
Three Digby county men face charges after the Federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans conducted a stake-out. Last night enforcement officers from the Digby detachment say they witnessed three men fishing for lobsters in Big Cove, Westport. DFO enforcement officer Heather Holiday says officers watched the trio fish a 10-pot trawl. She says when officers approached the men, the fishing gear and lobsters were tossed in the water. Holiday says officers recovered the evidence. Fifty-three banded lobsters and nine undersized lobsters were seized along with a small boat. The three men, all from Westport, are facing charges of fishing for lobster during a closed time, possession of undersized lobsters and obstruction. The men are scheduled to appear in Digby Provincial Court in December.

It is a hard spot to patrol I would imagine.

I wonder how many other "summer lobster fisheries" there are in south west nova ????

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
"how many summer fishers"?... more than you want to know was talking to brother inlaw abt the same type of thing at Sunday dinner he is a lobsterman by trade, makes it hard for him when this stuff goes on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Way to go!!..Why isn't a charge of fishing without a lobster licence in there too I wonder.. Just wish they would catch them all... no reason why they can't...just have to open their eyes..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Livelovelaugh - who knows what all the charges will be - DFO will figure out.

The main this is they were stopped. I would think if more anonymous people give tips then more would be caught !!!

·
Banned
767 Posts
Just wondering--Is "Crimestoppers" just for info on given 'commercial' crimes, or could you report poachers and whatnot there? God knows calling DNR and especially DFO, and worst of all, the RCMP, does no good. But then, maybe Crimestoppers is just the RCMP all over again. Oh, well.

But it would be nice if we had a conservation "Crimestoppers" program of some kind. With anonymity and rewards for convictions-- [maybe supplied by some of that extra money they added to fishing licence costs?]-- and so forth. JMHO.

chuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
These guys have been poaching for years to buy drugs with, It's a father and 2 of his sons. They have been reported for years but DFO never seemed to care until now. 2 days after they were caught they were at it again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
These guys have been poaching for years to buy drugs with, It's a father and 2 of his sons. They have been reported for years but DFO never seemed to care until now. 2 days after they were caught they were at it again.
Is this regarded by the local community as acceptable behavior, I know that if I made a complaint and it wasn't followed up to my satisfaction I would take it up with someone else until it was looked after. Back at it already, I guess they must be very comfortable knowing that the people in the community will tolerate their activities without repriasal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is too bad they are at it again - wonder if they switched spots - likely not - they got caught didn't they - not to swift !!!

If the commercial fishers see them out there look out !!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
They have been reported for years, A lot of the people around here seem to be scared of them and the RCMP won't do anything to these people....They seem to be above the law! Plus they have to many family covering there butts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The RCMP know of all the illegal activities and have admitted so and a few years back they even warned people to leave them alone and not to bother them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Livelovelaugh - who knows what all the charges will be - DFO will figure out.

The main this is they were stopped. I would think if more anonymous people give tips then more would be caught !!!
I was just going by what was in the article on here..nothing was said about fishing with no licence just that 3 men were facing charges of fishing for lobster during a closed time, possession of undersized lobsters and obstruction. Hopefully they will be charged for that a well....

·
Banned
767 Posts
Word of caution--remember what happened when the community on Grand Manan tried to do what the RCMP couldn't/wouldn't? That is, drive a bad lot out of their community. Who got arrested?

If they are that bad and numerous then I would take the cops' advice. Creeps like that can bring on a world of hurt. Better to get the local politicians to light a fire under the RCMP. Unless they, too, are terrified. IMHO

chuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nobody seems to care when people act up down on Brier Island, It's so far out of the way with few people living there that its easier to forget about them then deal with them. politicians only know that place if they want a vote and they don't even bother with that much anymore since there are less then 200 voters that live there. It's a real shame because it use to be such a nice spot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked into this with the RCMP centre in Truro - Crimes reported that are fisheries related are forwarded to DFO right away.

The person does not have to give their name or number - completely anonymous !!!

Maybe people should report more often !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts