Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never caught a pickerel but was wondering how to get them off the hook? I heard they have razor sharp teeth and will know your finger off in a second. Is that just a wise tale? Someone told me you should wear gloves and use pliars?

Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
Gloves aren't necessary. They're a bit scaly but not that bad at all. I usually use forceps .. just grab the hook as close to the eye as you can, and try to turn it upside down so he slides down off it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Didn't mean to come across like a smart mouth, but I was asked earlier today by someone if it was safe for kids to swim in a lake where there is pickeral

Greg

·
Registered
296 Posts
lol...I have lipped one before, it was a smaller one about 12'' ..no pliers,first time catching one...teeth are like little needles, it drew a little blood but by no means did it really hurt.Live and learn..I know own a nice set of fishing pliers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Grasshopper,

I've caught quite my share of those toothy things. They do have SHARP TEETH! And lots of em. But they are still easy to manage. When you get it all fought out and near the boat/shore just take your time and grab it around the body behind the head. Make sure it's tuckered out cuz they're really slippery. Then just use pliers to take the hooks out. Easy. Just keep your fingers out of the mouth. Cuz they will bite them if you do. You'll find sometimes they will also clamp down on the pliers when you have them in the mouth. Good luck!

Dave

My fiancee's brother made the mistake of lipping a little one when we went fishing, even though I warned him about it. The fish flopped and cut his thumb open! Bet he'll do it like I told him next time!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Last year I caught a 19"er in Rocky Lake and the devilish thing had the hook pretty deep. I intended to eat the fish but wanted the hook out before leaving. I had my left thumb in it's mouth and was working out the hook when it spasmed and I can tell you, it ripped my thumb up quite nicely. The teeth are not large but plentiful and very very sharp like shallow razor blades. I gushed blood for about half an hour before it stopped. I joked that it knew what I tasted like before I knew what it tasted like. I guess the moral is they are not dangerous but if you are unaware as I was and stick your thumb/finger in, prepare to pay the consequences.

Good eating.

James

·
Registered
76 Posts
lol...I have lipped one before, it was a smaller one about 12'' ..no pliers,first time catching one...teeth are like little needles, it drew a little blood but by no means did it really hurt.Live and learn..I know own a nice set of fishing pliers.
my grandfather did the same thing. had no plyers, it was deeply hooked, what can you do? excpt this one was 18 inches and had some big teeth. i remember him holding it like you would a smallie and the thing thrashing around. big ol' cuts down his thumb. all the way to the bone lol. all i can say is that there was alot of blood in the bottom of my boat lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts