Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey Im new to fishing and i was wondering if there is anywhere near Halifax that has perch or pickerel?
Also what kind of hooks and baits work beast thanks? i know its early but i was just wondering so when it starts i can try thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
hey Im new to fishing and i was wondering if there is anywhere near Halifax that has perch or pickerel?
Also what kind of hooks and baits work beast thanks? i know its early but i was just wondering so when it starts i can try thanks
i belive that kinsac lake has a healthy pop. of pickies havent fished them yet but have plans to do so this coming season as for bait and lures i have been told that rapalas work well leeches worms and minnows live or pickled(the ones at cdn tire in the jars) i am going to fly fish them gonna try some nice big streamers (leech muddller grey ghost etc.)

good luck and tight lines this upcoming season

mat

·
Registered
76 Posts
my 2 favorite lures for pickerel are the heddon tiny torpedo lure and the rapala skitter pop. both can be bought at canadian tire. last season from April 1st to the first of july when smallies stoped spawning, i would catch between 2 and 4 a night on these lures fishing 5 to 6 days a week. but pickerel will take anything really. i caught them on bower bait before, but top water lures are my favorite go to lures. also once you start fishing them and you get to know where they live in the lake, tie on a red and white bobber on your line with no hook, just the bobber and jig it across the water. you'll get a couple of laughs when you see them attack it lol. and when you fish picks, use a leader. you can use a wire leader but i usually dont because after a while of casting with one they tend to bend out of shape and mess with the action of your lure. i just use a piece of 20-30 pound test mono line about 10 to 12 inches long. never bends out of shape and is cheaper too. hope this helps! happy fishing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there i have been fishing lake mic mac a fair bit this year with my girlfriend and i have caught 8 good size yellow perch and shes caught a few herself. we find they go after any old lure and worm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts