Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use Phentex yarn for my posts, you can get a big roll of it at walmart for around 2 dollars. I take a small amount and fold it around the hook and make a few wraps around it on top and a few figure 8 wraps to hold it in place. It cuts down on the bulk of tying it in on top the shank. Not sure if you can get what I'm saying, LOL, if I had my gear set up I would take some pics. It's still packed away until I can get a desk to tye at.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes WB I know what you mean and it is a better way of attaching the post than a traditional tie in. What do you use to strengthen the post, do you add any cement or do you post the hackle along with the phentex so the hackle helps give it additional strength? Great tip by the way using phentex yarn for the posts will pick up some. thanks again.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't use any cement, I guess you could if need be, but shouldn't be necessary. I use 0/12 and 0/14 thread, so I can get quite a few wraps on the post without building up any bulk. You should be fine without it. Once you add your dubbing and hackle it's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use white and gray. If I'm matching a hatch that has dark wings I use grey. It probably doesn't matter too much, I just like the look. Some guys will use bright colors so they can see the fly, my eyes aren't that bad yet, so I don't need to. But guess I probably will some day, LOL.

How long have you been tying?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been tying for about 10 years or so. Like most tyers, I tied anything that was recommended but now I tie about 6 patterns consistently that work. My dry fly patterns were not very big so I wanted to add a couple of new patterns and decided to choose the parachute and the stimulator. I tied down to a 20 but now most flies are a 12, what size do you use for big dryflies?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks FM.

LOL, at one point I was down to only tying about 8 or 9 differrent patterns, tried to simplify things. Didn't work out for me too good. I'm too much of a fly junkie, hahahah. Before that I almost needed a back pack for my fly cases. Now I have things split up into seasons, spring, summer and fall. I'm still a fly junkie though. Always looking for a new pattern to work with. Of course, back home I fish for some very selective brookies in the summer and fall.

I played around with some #22-18 midges a few times. Worked great for small brooks. Now I usually don't go down smaller than a 16, except for some ants on a #18, but they don't get used much. On the other end of the scale I have some hex patterns tied on a #6. They don't get used too often eather as I only fish a couple lakes where the trout key on the adult stage of the hex.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was recently introduced to a variation on the parachute, called the water walker. Below is my first attempt at it. I've tied more since but my good camera was at my daughter's place so no pics of the better ones I'm tying now. Basically its two wings at about a 45 degree angle, and a separate hackle tied around each wing. Very floaty in rough water and it has a more "natural" footprint in the water.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The water walker looks to be a good river pattern, I have an article on them in one of my magazines somewhere. They look like they would float really well for fast water.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just getting used to tying a parachute never mind a double parachute....lol. I agree it looks like it would float high on a nice riffle.

The water walker looks to be a good river pattern, I have an article on them in one of my magazines somewhere. They look like they would float really well for fast water.

·
Registered
61 Posts
that water walker looks neat haha i might have to try er out, as for posting i agree when its said head cement is not needed, i never use cement when posting, even if i am tying a larger fly, thats just me though i guess

1 - 13 of 13 Posts