Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been fishing around the hrm area now for about 3 years and all from shore. I grew up always having a canoe or boat too fish with, so i decided it was time too get myself a rig again and start too enjoy the open waters. Then reality set in, i couldnt afford a boat and i currently own a hatchback for a vehicle. So a boat was out of the question. Ive been looking for a 10-12' ft canoe now for almost a year on and off on kijiji. And never had the luck of finding one in my price range. Then i ran into a guy fishing Oathill lake in early april in a single person packable pontoon boat. I fell in love with the boat at first sight. I came home that day and imidiately looked it up on Crappy Tires web site. 349.99 plus tax , with a shrug and a sigh i knew it was still a bit out of my price range for what i wanted too spend. Then a buddy of mine calls me up this week and says Crappy Tire has that pontoon on sale this week for a 100 bucks off.
Well too shorten the story up
. I went out today and picked up my Pontoon boat from Crappy Tire for 249.99 . The point of this whole post was too ask around if anyone here has ever used one of these Pontoons. Should i avoid windy days ? They feel stable in the water ? Ill get my first shot at trying it on sunday morning before work. Plan on hitting Morris lake around 6 am for a few hours. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Fishing4life

·
Registered
44 Posts
fIshing4life,

Congratulations on your new boat! Please give us all a report on your maiden voyage on Morris Lake (boat performance and fishing).

Best of luck,
J. B.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
F4L,

Congratulations. Never tried one, but they look like a winner. If wind becomes an issue, try rigging an anchor. I recall a New Fly Fisher episode where they recomended a dual-anchor system.

Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had my maiden voyage this morning on Morris lake. Great little boat, but rowing oars are terrible. Or im just terrible at rowing
. No fish though only fished the weed beds by the beach behind the tenis court and up the left shore around the first bend in the lake. Was using a texas rig with a natural color gulp worm. Tried a tiny torpedo and a couple of rapellas too. Spent most my time trying too learn too row the boat straight but with no luck so i packed it in. Heading back too Canadian Tire too pick up a kayak paddle and try that. if that dont work will resort too flippers.

Fishing4life

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
F4L,

You might want the flippers regardless. Very stealthy and they keep your hands free.

Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey F4L,
I've had one of these for a few years now. Don't give up on rowing it, you'll get the hang of it!
I've had mine all over the place & have covered quite a bit of water with it. I made rod holders for mine with some ABS plumbing T's so I can troll with it too. Flippers might be a good idea to keep the bigger fish from pulling you into the weeds with them - I personally use a laundry bag with a rock in it for an anchor. Had a lot of fun in that rig!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds awesome, thanks for the tips Matt. And ya i think i may get a pair of flippers. Still not happy with the rowing lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,

I also live in the HRM area (Dartmouth). I own one that i bought from Costco for a while now and i love it!

I have added a 32lb thrust trolling motor, claw anchor system, added a swivel bottom to the factory seat (best upgrade yet)!

I actually do not use mine for fly fishing per say only because i don't have a fly fishing rod and have not done so in over 20 years!

The wind takes control very easily of these boats i find. You can really notice it when you are anchored or stop moving and then within 3 seconds you will be turned around 180 degrees! So to answer you Q on windy days, i would not recommend it in the winds that we get once over 20km/hr. I first did not have the trolling motor in mine and found it to be near impossible to go against the wind without one. With the upgrade of a trolling motor i can top out at 6.2km/hr and against those same winds at about 5.5km/hr. Huge difference!!!

I was wondering if anyone else has one and would be interested in maybe starting some kind of pontoon fishing club in N.S.?

I will be taking mine down the musquodoboit river, maybe 20 km of it for the lvl 1 rapids next month!

Ciao for now!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

I also live in the HRM area (Dartmouth). I own one that i bought from Costco for a while now and i love it!

I have added a 32lb thrust trolling motor, claw anchor system, added a swivel bottom to the factory seat (best upgrade yet)!

I actually do not use mine for fly fishing per say only because i don't have a fly fishing rod and have not done so in over 20 years!

The wind takes control very easily of these boats i find. You can really notice it when you are anchored or stop moving and then within 3 seconds you will be turned around 180 degrees! So to answer you Q on windy days, i would not recommend it in the winds that we get once over 20km/hr. I first did not have the trolling motor in mine and found it to be near impossible to go against the wind without one. With the upgrade of a trolling motor i can top out at 6.2km/hr and against those same winds at about 5.5km/hr. Huge difference!!!

I was wondering if anyone else has one and would be interested in maybe starting some kind of pontoon fishing club in N.S.?

I will be taking mine down the musquodoboit river, maybe 20 km of it for the lvl 1 rapids next month!

Ciao for now!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brocour:

I have not been on the sight for awhile. I was reading your comments on pontoon boats. I also live in HRM and have one of these crafts. Used it on Morris Lake and Lake Loon. It took some getting used to. They ride quite high and are surely a wind catcher. Mine is a Colarado XT which I bought from Costco in late winter{ on line }, not in the local store. I can not say it is packable because when fully assembled it is nine feet long and four and a half feet wide. It rows pretty good on a calm day but I also use an electric trolling motor. Its a thirty eight pound thrust with a thirty six inch shaft. Seems to work okay but I also added a swivel on the seat. Eaiser on the back. I have not really had a good chance to get out there and fish. I like your idea of getting together with others who own and use these crafts.Any input or thoughts {comments} would be greatly appreciated

Tank

·
Registered
120 Posts
These have caught my eye. My issue, or my assumed issue I think I'd have would be dropping things lol. I can totally see myself dropping tools, lure, etc as Im trying to tie a lure on. Maybe possible to rig up some sort of netting?

Also, how quick do these inflate/deflate?

the other thing, if anyone is planning a trip down south the top model at Cdn tire $950 is only $350 at walmart

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/InflatableBoats/PRD~0798510P/Pontoon+Boat%2C+9-ft.jsp?locale=en

vs

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Colorado-Pontoon-Boat/2584964

·
Registered
806 Posts
wow , that differance is huge!nice though. i was wondering the same things as you. but i would also like to double duty one for duck hunting as well.

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
Hey Gang,

Just a little warning about the Pontoon Boats. Make sure you do some homework before purchasing a Pontoon Craft.

Three years ago, my Buddy and I purchased a couple of pontoon boats from Crappy Tire. Thought they'd be the clear answer for alot of our fishing situations.

On assembly, I commented that the welds looked a little "thin". Prophetic statement.

He took his out to Morris Lake for a trial. Now, neither my buddy or I are small guys, but we were within the recommended weight restrictions. However, half way down the lake a weld lets go and into the lake my Buddy goes. He managed to get to shore with his gear and crap, I mean craft. He ended up walking the shoreline back while dragging this POS and all his gear.Needless to say, this could have ended very differently. Both craft returned to Crappy with some nasty comments and a warning in writing regarding this craft. They shortly started selling another model.

So, in hindsight I did some investigating online. In the review section of Cabela's, I find a number of similar stories regarding this particular craft.

Moral of this story. Do your homework AND... you get what you pay for.

Still, I'd buy one again if I could find a dealer in Canada for what I'm looking for and the money situation was right.

Hope this helps.

Terran

Reactions: ouird

·
Registered
22 Posts
These have caught my eye. My issue, or my assumed issue I think I'd have would be dropping things lol. I can totally see myself dropping tools, lure, etc as Im trying to tie a lure on. Maybe possible to rig up some sort of netting?

Also, how quick do these inflate/deflate?

the other thing, if anyone is planning a trip down south the top model at Cdn tire $950 is only $350 at walmart

http://www.canadiant...t.jsp?locale=en

vs

http://www.walmart.c...on-Boat/2584964
I use a two stage pump and inflate each side in under 5minutes. It is actually faster then a plug in pump i tried!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts