Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this topic is to discuss changes that would effect all of NS
such as changes to the general fishing regulations more line in the water
province wide open all year fisheries etc.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well Shienar, my pet peeve is fishing hours.
I'm kind of a night guy and would like to see under
General Regulations where it says no one is allowed to angle for sportfish during that part of the day beginning 2 hours after sunset and ending 2 hours before sunrise - that part should be removed and allow angling 24 hours a day.
Nowadays many folks work night shifts and evening shifts, seems only right they should be able to angle on their schedule also.
In addition in this day and age with cell phones, it might deter midnight stockers. Now as it is, you can do pretty well do as you want at midnight and be sure no one is watching - guys around with cells might make a difference.
Have a good day
Paul

·
Registered
879 Posts
More lines through the ice, more lakes open, I think all perch and pickeral waters should be open, and I might be going out on a limb here but why not smallmouth on the high harvest lakes, they are targeted in other regions with success

Greg

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
More lines through the ice, more lakes open, I think all perch and pickeral waters should be open, and I might be going out on a limb here but why not smallmouth on the high harvest lakes, they are targeted in other regions with success

Greg
toatlly agree esp in lakes where pickies and bass have been illegally introduced

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
General Regulations where it says no one is allowed to angle for sportfish during that part of the day beginning 2 hours after sunset and ending 2 hours before sunrise - that part should be removed and allow angling 24 hours a day.
Nowadays many folks work night shifts and evening shifts, seems only right they should be able to angle on their schedule also.
In addition in this day and age with cell phones, it might deter midnight stockers. Now as it is, you can do pretty well do as you want at midnight and be sure no one is watching - guys around with cells might make a difference.
Have a good day
Paul
good point abt catching poachers however safety may be a concern atleast during the day if you go thru the ice there is more likely others aroung to help you out

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I'd like to see an extension of the free fishing weekend to a couple weeks. Every year I talk a few non-fishers into joining me for an ice fishing outing, but it's a pain to get them licenses in the winter, and for some reason we always get burned by bad weather on the free weekend. I can't see DFO counting on a lot of license sales for winter fishing every year anyway.

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have a good day
Paul
one thing a lot of people don't realize is that you can angle for none sport fish (anything that isn't a salmon trout or sm bass )24/7 as long as there's a season open on the water your fishing
dfo cleared that one up for me when i called about tidal boundaries so i could go night fishing for stripers
ive read that regulation hundreds of times and never clued into the fact that it only applies to sport fish

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's a pain to get them licenses in the winter
they discussed that at the rfac meeting they are working on switching to a electronic licensing system
and the license would be available year round online and through venders

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i myself would like to see a continuous season for perch and pickerel on lakes and ponds
and why not catfish too

more stocked waters open for bows and specks during the winter
ice fishing on the high harvest fishery's for sm bass
and more lines / tip-ups for ice fishing

i think as ice fishers
in NS not being able to setup a tip up line for pickerel
we are missing out on some great times on the water
most of the places i read about ice fishing tip ups are a huge part of it
and the idea of sitting around with a group of friends drinking coffee
waiting for some one to yell FLAG so all hell can break loose would be a blast

·
Registered
91 Posts
More lines "tipups/rods". Your only allowed your limit of fish either way.

Most lakes with pickerel should be open for winter fishing.

I would like to see lake charles open for landlock salmon on hardwater. There stocked fish and most people cant even get a boat into the lake to enjoy it in the summer time.

yellow/white Perch should be open on more lakes

Im sure ill add more to this

XBONESX

·
Banned
767 Posts
More lines "tipups/rods". Your only allowed your limit of fish either way.

Most lakes with pickerel should be open for winter fishing.

I would like to see lake charles open for landlock salmon on hardwater. There stocked fish and most people cant even get a boat into the lake to enjoy it in the summer time.

yellow/white Perch should be open on more lakes

Im sure ill add more to this

XBONESX
Hi;

I can't agree to ice fishing for salmonids, or other species, on any water that holds a population of salmonids. Lake Charles and most other lake that feed the shubie drainage used to hold self-reproducing landlocks-- until they were fished out, and their forage base, landlocked smelt, were decimated. Left alone both species might re-establish themselves throughout the system.

As to summer fishing on Lake Charles, I can't see why there shouldn't be a public boat launch at Schuby Park. But that's just me, I suppose. And I don't even own a motor boat!

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
587 Posts
one thing a lot of people don't realize is that you can angle for none sport fish (anything that isn't a salmon trout or sm bass )24/7 as long as there's a season open on the water your fishing
dfo cleared that one up for me when i called about tidal boundaries so i could go night fishing for stripers
ive read that regulation hundreds of times and never clued into the fact that it only applies to sport fish
Hi Shienar
So does that mean I could angle for say white perch all night during trout season?
Thanks for the info
Paul

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I'll throw my support for two rods on the ice too. Shienar is absolutely right about setting up a series of rods and waiting for the flag to pop. I did this in Guelph Ontario years ago, 3 guys, 6 rods, using live minnows on a resevoir with a healthy yellow perch/pike population. All fishing trips should be that much fun.

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Shienar
So does that mean I could angle for say white perch all night during trout season?
Thanks for the info
Paul
yup
goes for all none sport fish
i called to confirm the inland boundarie for the shubie cuz we wanted to go night fishing for stripers
and we wanted to make sure we were in tidal waters so we would be legal
and as soon as i mentioned that i was told it doesnt matter if it was tidal waters or not
because they are a not listed as a sport fish and the reg only applies to sport fish
also when you read the book after being told that
it really stands out

page 54 General Regulations

No one is allowed to:

• angle for sportfish during that part of
the day beginning 2 hours after sunset
and ending 2 hours before sunrise. This
does not apply when angling for smallmouth
bass or brown trout during any of the night
fishing seasons listed for each Recreational
Fishing Area\

page 57 Definitions

SportFish-Atlantic salmon, landlocked
salmon, trout, and smallmouth bass.

·
Registered
158 Posts
more rods is a no brainer in my opinion. 2 lines per angler should be allowed. Letting anglers have either a deep/shallow setup, or dead stick/ tip up and a jigging more aggressive approach at the same time. as well more waters opened to pickerel and perch.

It would be nice to see it legal to use the glow jigs on the market for bows as well as perch and other fish. I brought a tackle box full of ice fishing gear from ontario that I had accumulated over a few seasons and nearly all of the jigs are glow jigs and technically "illegal" so I cant use them here for bows which is what I mostly fish for here.

More Lakes open for rainbows and a winter fishery for Brook trout in certain lakes would also be good.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As I mentioned Sheinar, I will try to get you a list of lakes asap, but I am more interested in seeing changes made, such as the majority of waters in the province open to all year fishing, and the fish be regulated for open seasons you could target them, being closed during spawning periods and such.

For example brook trout are fall spawners, so they could have a season of apr. 1 to sept. 30 or jan 1 to sept 30 to allow for a chance for ice fishing and protecting them during their fall spawn. Pickerel and perch should be open all year, as well as rainbow. Atlantic Salmon populations could still be protected, and any known lakes where they are known to winter could be closed to all year fishing or monitored closely.

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I mentioned Sheinar, I will try to get you a list of lakes asap, but I am more interested in seeing changes made, such as the majority of waters in the province open to all year fishing, and the fish be regulated for open seasons you could target them, being closed during spawning periods and such.

For example brook trout are fall spawners, so they could have a season of apr. 1 to sept. 30 or jan 1 to sept 30 to allow for a chance for ice fishing and protecting them during their fall spawn. Pickerel and perch should be open all year, as well as rainbow. Atlantic Salmon populations could still be protected, and any known lakes where they are known to winter could be closed to all year fishing or monitored closely.
exactly what im thinking
one of the best ways to create great winter angling oppertunitys is to also split the reg
lakes and ponds
and river and streams

lakes and ponds could be left to year round fishing for none sport fish
with designated winter fishing oppertunitys for rainbows and brookies on put and take waters
with protected waters for wintering salmon and native brook trout

and rivers and streams can continue with the same reg that are in place
keeping people from targeting spawning salmonids and stomping around and disturbing redds

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
exactly what im thinking
one of the best ways to create great winter angling oppertunitys is to also split the reg
lakes and ponds
and river and streams

lakes and ponds could be left to year round fishing for none sport fish
with designated winter fishing oppertunitys for rainbows and brookies on put and take waters
with protected waters for wintering salmon and native brook trout

and rivers and streams can continue with the same reg that are in place
keeping people from targeting spawning salmonids and stomping around and disturbing redds
totally agree sheinar couldn't have stated it better myself esp the stocked brookies it makes no sense to throw back badly hooked fish b/c you are not allowed to keep them and you are trying to get bows, I suggest the same limit of 2 but that combos should be allowed eg one brookie one bow etc. This would be on strickly put and take lakes that have no chance of wild native brookies in them. Why throw back 10 brookies which if not foul of badly hooked are still stressed just to get one bow.

Maybe if there are more opportunites for brookies we could keep the gd poachers out of the rivers and protect our wild fish, I think poachers are lazy [email protected]@rds by nature so make it easy for them to go to the put and take lakes for the stocked brookies plus then DFO can check on them easier as well.

Good job on all the hard work by the way I appreciate you efforts to expand the winter fishery

cheers girlfisher

1 - 20 of 24 Posts