Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I have recently been given a 1976 Evinrude 9.9. The feller who gave it to me says it runs(I saw it running last year) but when you try to open it up to higher speeds it stalls. I'd like to find out if it is worth fixing or if it is a money pit. As I have little experience fixing outboards I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place near Halifax that I could take it to so that I can find out what parts and repair it needs.
It's an old motor so Idon't want to spend more on having it looked at than what it is worth.

Thanks,

Kunuk

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is most likely carburetor issues from the sounds of it. Easy to fix yourself if you're at all handy, just pull the carb apart and soak the metal parts in vinegar for a few hours. Wipe all parts clean and Dry, reassemble (may need to buy a carburetor kit with new gaskets) and take a test drive. A can of Seafoam gas treatment from canadian tire may also clean it up if its still running. Just add to your gas and run her a while, I'm not sure how that stuff does it but it works very well and fairly quickly. Still probably a good idea to have it serviced if you have the time and money but a good carb job is probably all you need.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Give this guy a call - Bills Small Engine Repair - 435-7103 - he is located in Dartmouth, close to Cole harbour Place.
He serviced my Merc this spring and did a great job at a reasonable price.
He just cleaned the carb and installed a kit on my snowblower.

Also a lot cheaper than any of the boat dealer shops.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
This thread was started over two years ago, folks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts