Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am living in the tantallon area and I am familar with most of the lakes but I just bought a small boat with a 2.5hp outboard.Is there anywhere I can find which lakes allow motors and which do not as there seems there is a few lakes that now are motor free thanks Big chief

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Big Chief,
I think that you would be pretty well safe to launch your boat on any lake. If there is no official looking sign forbidding the use of a gasoline engines you should be good to go. As far as I know, there is no official "list" of "No Go" lakes for internal combustion engines. Have fun fishing. Regards.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sounds like you've been mislead. I've fished the province for nearly 35 years and have not heard of any lakes that ban outboards, unless they are water supplies, but then all fishing would be banned or severely limited in such areas. Do you know what lakes have this so-called ban? I know that MicMac and Banook lake in Dartmouth have no-wake zones, and idle speed only areas, but the big boats play there as well as jet skis. There has been a growing number of cottage owners that are trying to keep people off "their" lakes, so I've heard some real good excuses to ban fishermen and boaters. All the waters of Nova Scotia are public domain, water supplies excluded. If you have a valid licence for either salmon or trout and are fishing in an open season area, you should be safe from prosecution. Keep in mind that an operators card is now required for all boaters.
I really wish that folks would learn to get along, and share the resources this province has to offer. The world is becoming an increasingly smaller place, and it's terribly sad when I see lakes surronded by subdivision that have no public access. Some of these same lakes are stocked with trout that our licence fees have paid for and we can't fish them. Or worse, a good lake is closed because the last 20 yards of shoreline has been sold to a cottage builder, eliminating the only boat launch. This kind of thing has to stop if we are to remain viable as a tourist destination and recreational sports fishery. I spent a few days fishing in Maine not long ago, and almost every lake that was visible from a public road had a proper boat launch. There are private waters in Maine, lakes that have great fishing that you can't access even with a licence. I believe that the powers that be have recognized the value of public waters in Maine and for that reason make every effort to make sure fishermen have access to the lakes. I can only hope that someday most of the lakes in Nova Scotia will have decent public launches, and that a tourist with a nice boat can spend a day and his money, here.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Kedgie is no motors, the only other I've run into is uniacke lake which is part of an historic site so it makes sense to me, also posted water supplies

Greg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My cousin lives up in five island estates I know these lakes are catch and release but she claims the lakes in this area are motor free it states it in the subdivision rules.She said she could not beleive this because all winter long the ATVs are on the lake but the poor fishing boats which are alot quieter are not allowed.She may be mistaken but her husband had to buy a electric trolling motor so he could go fishing with his boat.I beleive 3 brooks is also the same Big Chief.

·
Administrator
913 Posts
Interesting topic.
I did a quick google search for the protective covenants of Three Brooks Subdivision. click here and read #13, #14 and #15 in the list of covenants. Everything from having a bell on your cat's collar to protect the birds to only using electric motors in the lake to protect the tranquility of the area. So if i dont live there and i am not visiting anyone who does live there I assume i am allowed to use a gas powered motor on the lake?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point about the vistor clause I remember when 3 brooks was first built the rules to live there were out of this world I dont know if they are actually followed.One thing about the lakes back there are they have spots to launch a boat and the fishing is really good due to the catch and release law.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
ff;
I suspect you are right. The covenants may very well "control" the activities of anyone silly enough to purchase a lot there. I find it hard to believe that some private company can control the type, and manner of activities which may take place on a lake that which belongs to all residents of Nova Scotia. Is this a case of a developer attempting to own and control public property where no such right exists?? Just askin' Regards......

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Big Chief;
What "catch and release law" are you referring to?? Regards.....

·
Administrator
913 Posts
ff;
I suspect you are right. The covenants may very well "control" the activities of anyone silly enough to purchase a lot there. I find it hard to believe that some private company can control the type, and manner of activities which may take place on a lake that which belongs to all residents of Nova Scotia. Is this a case of a developer attempting to own and control public property where no such right exists?? Just askin' Regards......
14 years ago when i was looking for a place to build my first home i quickly made the decision to not purchase a lot at Three Brooks after reviewing the covenants.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hi,bugman,
I do not have a problem with ANY watercourse which is designated "internal combustion engine free" - as long as it (the designation) is done by a duly authorised, legislative body such as the Province of Nova Scotia. I do have a problem when my/your access is denied to, and my/our activities are restricted on, a piece of property which belongs to me/us. Yes, I own 2 canoes and I do enjoy them, but can also see the benefits of sharing our resource with our boat/seadoo owners as well.(no, I don't own a SeaDoo!!) With regards to "lake covenants" I just see them as a sneaky way to circumvent provincial legislation in order to try and privatise a public resource. And what is the penalty for running a quiet 4 stroke trolling motor in Big Hubley Lake??? Cancellation of your Birth Certificate?? Who enforces these covenants??? Under what authority??? Just questions. Just askin'. Regards........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The lakes up in the 3 brooks area are catch and release due to Junky Jims junk yard he was pouring old oil etc into the ground up there for 30 years or more.The junk yard is gone but the traces of PCBs are not so the lakes are catch and release to protect us from PCBs.This is the reason I have heard do not know if it is 100% accurate though.Having the lakes catch and release does make them fun lakes to fish.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Kedgie is no motors, the only other I've run into is uniacke lake which is part of an historic site so it makes sense to me, also posted water supplies

Greg
Hi Greg
In parts of Kedgie motors are allowed. I'm not sure the fine points as to where, horsepower and so on.
Kedgie lake is classified as navigatable waters and that goes back many years before the area was a park. Government navigation bouys are set out every spring and hauled in in the fall. An interesting historical part of the part. The wardens will fill in the details for you.
Have a good day
Paul

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hello again, bugman,
I believe, correctly,I think, that the right exists for ANY Nova Scotian who has a license, to use ANY outboard motor on ANY lake or watercourse until such time that the right is removed by, a duly authorised legislative body. Allowing disparate groups of private citizens to write, and then impose/enforce THEIR rules regarding OUR resources is a very slippery slope indeed. I know that this may sound like I'm flogging a dead horse, but this is exactly why we have the democratic process. If we carry their thinking further, we as a group of anglers,(much as I would like it) ought to be able to have immediate access to, and boat launches built on, any number of lakes in HRM. (We all know their names) We both know that this won't happen without years of negotiation and lobbying. So why should another group be able to have that "right"? If you and I carry our canoes into the woods, we can always find a spot where we can paddle without seeing (or hearing) any motors. But unless ICEs are legislated off a watercourse, we MUST share..........Just one man's opinion. Regards.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just a final word regarding covenants, lake access and rights. We, as fishermen, generally care a great deal about the lakes, rivers and streams we fish. We obey the regulations, keep an eye out for pollution, and are amoung the first to take up the cause if a lake is in trouble.
Some rules imposed by a community can be beneficial, but the very existence of such "subdivisions" can pose a considerable threat to the well being of the lakes they tend to surrond. The amount of run-off from well manicured lawns can choke a lake to death, not to mention the fluids from cars running off driveways, and the loss of trees to make room for all those fancy homes. So if you really care about the lakes you use, don't build your houses right on them, and don't blame the fishermen with boats and motors. I've seen people in canoes leave more mess behind them than any powerboater, but we can't paint everyone with the same brush. There are always some people that will never learn to respect anything.
I own a canoe, and really enjoy the peaceful tranquility of a remote lake, there are plenty here in Nova Scotia but if the spread of subdivisions are not controlled we may soon lose the priviledge to even carry a canoe on foot. Today, however, I would like to enjoy my boat and be able to fish more than just a handful of lakes. There is no canoe licence as of yet but I've had to licence my boat, get an operators card and purchase a fishing licence. I'm not sure if it's a right to a boat launch, but some of those dollars should go towards improvements in the condition and number of public access areas in Nova Scotia.
We all share in the success or failure of this planet, if the wilderness areas we love soon become overwhelmed with suburbia they will fall victim to ignorance and neglect.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you can lift it yourself it is easy to put in by the tracks in Waverly..I am working on access to this lake.. it has been tried before but I am going to keep trying, Looking for another spot for Halifax Mini Boat Bassers to fish :
https://www.facebook.com/#!/HalifaxMiniBoatBassers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts